Setting up rule to block internet for range of IP addresses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-17 12:11:39

I have the latest Archer C9 AC1900 Wireless router and I want to be able to set up a rule where all non-reserved IP addresses are blocked from accessing the internet.  A little background is that I currently work on a Navy base on a tiny island.  The internet is limited to 28GB or 50GB per month with upload and download combined.  I have the 28GB plan, which is $175/month.  I also have a server that has 16TB of movies, music, TV shows, books, etc that I would like for others in the barracks to be able to access.

Due to the limitations on the internet, I need a way to block all IP addresses except those I have reserved for my electronics, so that people can then log in to the router and access the server.  I previously had an older version of the C9 (or maybe it was the C8) that allowed me to set up a rule to block a range IP addresses from accessing the internet, but still allowed them to access anything else on the LAN.  The problem I am having is that I can't find a way to set up any rule, or limit internet access in any way, for a range of IP addresses.

Can anybody provide me with a way to do this so that I can provide people with access to the server, yet keep them from accessing my internet account?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Setting up rule to block internet for range of IP addresses
2019-03-18 06:31:27

Hello,

to allow specific devices to access internet, you can use access control to satisfy your needs. Below is the instruction:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1067.html 

Note: The device under whitelist can access internet, while the device cannot access internet in blacklist mode.

The devices in the same network can access each other, it cannot be blocked, while there is a workaround, you can enable guest network, and do NOT enable "Allow Guests To Access My Local Network", and then the devices connected to the guest network cannot access the host network. 

Regarding to the server, may I know what it is? If it is a computer or something which connects to the router by wired cable/wifi, then the devices in the same network can access it, while if it is some kind of hard drive disk, you may enable USB sharing function to meet your needs. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-756.html

May it help.

Good day. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Re:Setting up rule to block internet for range of IP addresses
2019-03-18 14:03:01

I have a Synology NAS connected to the router via CAT-5.

The problem is that I want people to be able to access my LAN, but not the internet.  If I put them in the Whitelist, they have access to the internet.  If I put them in the Blacklist, they don't have access to the LAN.

I need a way to block access to the internet, but still allow people to access the LAN and my server.  I also can't tell who will be attempting to login, so I can't just put devices in the Blacklist or Whitelist unless I am monitoring the network when they login.  Since I'm not in my room all the time, that is an impossible task.

In the C8, they had the ability to block access to the internet by defining a rule and using a range of IP addresses in the rule.  I had a C8 a couple of years ago, but gave it to somebody else when I left the base back then.  Has TP-Link removed the ability to make rules based on a range of IP addresses that they had in the C8 and if so, why?  That was an very useful feature that I used both here and at my house in the U.S.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Setting up rule to block internet for range of IP addresses
2019-03-19 05:50:48

Clifton wrote

I need a way to block access to the internet, but still allow people to access the LAN and my server.  I also can't tell who will be attempting to login, so I can't just put devices in the Blacklist or Whitelist unless I am monitoring the network when they login.  Since I'm not in my room all the time, that is an impossible task

Hi, to block access to internet but still allow them to access each other in the same network, it is suggested to setup parental control.

Below is the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1124.html

Note: You can add the device into whitelist without any keywords, and choose all days as internet access time, then these devices cannot access internet while can access each other.

For C8, to block access to the internet by using a range of IP address is the same thing as we did on the C9; actually, it is much easier to do that in C9. 

You can use parental control to give it a go.

Good day. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4847

Replies: 3

Related Articles