Deco M5 connection slower

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-22 08:15:19 - last edited 2019-03-27 11:53:48
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone I have PLDT FIBER at 60mbps and my modem is broadcasting at high speed but my Deco is capping at 47mbps only. It will never go higher.

Is there any way to have my Decos broadcast at my paid speed?

This first photo is my modem wifi.

The second photo is from the Deco M5

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 connection slower-Solution
2019-03-27 11:52:05 - last edited 2019-03-27 11:53:48

PERFECT!

That did the trick Kevin_Z, thank you.

I did have my cellphone set as high priority with gaming QOS. I figured it would just adjust the connection to prioritize the usage, not throttle everyone's speed including the high priority device.

I set to standard and removed all antivirus settings and priorities. I now get about a 200mbps burst down to my normal speed around 60mbps.

Thanks again for the help, now I am satisfied!

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Deco M5 connection slower
2019-03-22 08:16:17
I am currently using only the 5ghz band. I did not see a speed difference using both or 2.4ghz only.
Options
2019-03-25 01:38:02

Hi,

What is the current network topology/layout? 

With your device connected tothe 5GHz, please check the wireless link speed as the instruction below: 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2265/

Please connect your computer to the main deco and test the speed you can get from it and check the wired link speed as well.
Note: Please show us a screenshot of the speed test result.

Besides, please connect your smart phone to the Deco's wiif and login to the deco app; click the settings button and then choose advanced>>IPv4>>Internet connection type and uncheck obtain DNS automatically and change the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and click save.

After that, please run the speed test again and check whether it work.

Have a great day.

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 connection slower
2019-03-27 09:36:44 - last edited 2019-03-27 09:40:01

Hi there thanks for the reply. I applied the DNS setting and restarted the Decos.

I connected my PC to the main Deco using an ethernet cable and here is the result.

I disconnected the ethernet and went back to the modem and got full speed here 

Link speed shows 866 Mbps as shown and speed test on the following screen shot using a Galaxy Note9

And here is a screenshot using wifi direct from the modem, not Deco.

The Deco M5 has consistent low upload speed and a throttled download speed. No matter how many restarts or speed tests taken.

Firmware through the Deco is also up to date.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 connection slower
2019-03-27 10:01:26

Hi,

Thanks for your valued reply.

Below are some suggestions you can give it a shot.
1. Please set QoS as standard. Open Deco app, go to more-Qos.
2. Please clear all high priority. In QoS page you can see device priority, click high priority and then you can clear them.

3. Meanwhile, you can disable the anti-virus function on the Deco app.

After that, please connect to the main deco by wired cable and test the speed. 

Any updates, just let us know. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 connection slower-Solution
2019-03-27 11:52:05 - last edited 2019-03-27 11:53:48

PERFECT!

That did the trick Kevin_Z, thank you.

I did have my cellphone set as high priority with gaming QOS. I figured it would just adjust the connection to prioritize the usage, not throttle everyone's speed including the high priority device.

I set to standard and removed all antivirus settings and priorities. I now get about a 200mbps burst down to my normal speed around 60mbps.

Thanks again for the help, now I am satisfied!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 connection slower
2019-03-28 01:02:33

Wow, that would be great; glad to hear that you sorted it out finally. 

Congrats. ^_^

While if need any further help, just let us know. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-08-14 12:01:06

Model: Deco M5

Firmware version: 1.3.1 Build 20190617 Rel. 47476

Hardware version: 1.9.5

Hi,

I have done everything provided above, but my connection is still as slow. I currently have a plan with total bandwidth of 800 mb/s download and upload. When I connect my phone to the wifi network and stand next to the deco, I get around 200 mb/s download and upload, but in my bedroom, I get around 15 download and 35 upload. I have disabled high priority settings, anti-virus and also changed the qos to standard. I also changed the ipv4 primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 but it is still very slow. I currently have 3 decos set up, one as the main router and the others as access points. I currently live in a 1200 sqft apartment. 

Here are some pics of my current settings.

I really want to increase the speed of the connection in my room as it is always unstable.

Many Thanks!

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 connection slower
2019-08-15 01:10:30

@Horizon64 

What is the current network diagram? How do you connect them together, via wired cable or wireless? Where are they located? 

How far away between the Deco units and bedroom? Meanwhile, which Deco has your phone connected in your bedroom which you can find on the Deco app?

At that time, please verify the wireless negotiation speed on your phone. And please connect computer to that specific Deco by ethernet cable and run the speed test for 3 times. 

Besides, try  to change another wireless device and connect it to the Deco network in your bedroom to test the speed and then we can have a comparison analysis. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 connection slower
2019-08-16 06:13:32

@Kevin_Z 

Hi,

My main deco is currently hooked up to my modem via ethernet port. My other two decos don't have anything connecting into the sockets besides the power plug. The main deco is located in the living room, the other two decos are in the bedroom and the master bedroom. I would say that the distance between the main deco in the living room and the deco in the bedroom is about 7-8 meters with two walls in between. The distance between the living room deco and the master bedroom deco is about 6 meters. I'm not sure how to check which deco my phone is connected to. For some reason when I connect my pc to the bedroom deco via ethernet port, the download and upload speed gradually decreases. Is this due to the fact that my decos are not connected to each other via ethernet port? And also, are both ports at the back of the deco ethernet ports?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 connection slower
2019-08-19 01:56:52

@Horizon64 

Thanks for your reply, we will do some troubleshooting to locate the issue.

1. With the 2 slave Decos unplugged, what is the speed you can get from the main Deco when you are in the bedroom/master bedroom with your computer or smart phone? 

Meanwhile, please click here  to get the wireless negotiation speed. 

2. Try to connect your computer to the slave Deco units by ethernet cable to verify the wired connection. 

3. Try to swap the location of each Deco and rule out whether it is the Deco itself or the location/network environment.

4. Besides, if possible, it is recommended to connect the Deco units by wired cable to give it a shot.

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 12190

Replies: 11

Related Articles