Slow wired connection (Deco M5)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-18 11:54:35 - last edited 2020-10-21 06:06:58
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.4.9

Hi all.

So just some information on my setup.

I live in an apartment that was already setup with a 'smart home hub', meaning every room has ethernet ports that connects to a hub in the closet.

So my setup is, in the Living Room I have a modem that connects to the wall, and the router connects to that modem. Router is an Asus N56U.

The apartment has bad wifi coverage so I got the Deco M5 system.

I have 1 Deco in the bedroom and another in the Office. Wifi problems fixed. However my issue is with wired connections.

I wanted to use Virtual Desktop in the office on my Oculus Quest, however it said my PC wasn't using a wired gigabit connection. My PC is connected right into a wall port so it should connect right to the router. 

I asked around on the Virtual Desktop Discord and they said to try plug the PC right into the Deco.

I had tried this before but ran into a lot of issues, it was like the Deco replaced my main router and caused internet issues so I put the Deco into AP mode.

When my PC is wired into the wall directly my speed test result shows download speed is 70-75mbps, and it goes straight to that high speed.

When I plugged the PC into the Deco M5 my speed test results go from 20-60mbps, usually around 20-35, and if it does reach 60mbps it climbs very slowly.

I have no idea why this would be the case. My bedroom Deco was the main one, I tried setting the Office one as the main one but its the same result.

Anybody have any ideas why the Deco would limit my wired connection? 

The Deco is also wired into the wall so I thought it would just allow the PC to pass through and get the same speed.

I would ideally like to have the PC wired into the Deco as it fixes the gigabit internet issue on Virtual Desktop.

Appreciate any replies! 

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Slow wired connection (Deco M5)-Solution
2020-10-21 06:06:52 - last edited 2020-10-21 06:06:58

@Ayohaych 

Hello, thanks for asking.

As per your description, it seems the network layout is as below:

modem--Asus N56U router--main Deco M5 (bedroom/office

\--2nd Deco M5 (office/bedroom)

In this layout, it is suggested to configure the main Deco M5 into an Access Point mode, then run speedtest again to confirm if this helps.

BTW, please compare the link speed on the PC when it connects to the Ethernet cable from the wall with that when it connects to the Deco:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2899/

What is the speedtest result on the Deco app? Please show us the test result:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1462/

Thanks a lot~

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Slow wired connection (Deco M5)
2020-10-20 23:25:03

Just bumping this for any help!

Options
Re:Slow wired connection (Deco M5)-Solution
2020-10-21 06:06:52 - last edited 2020-10-21 06:06:58

@Ayohaych 

Hello, thanks for asking.

As per your description, it seems the network layout is as below:

modem--Asus N56U router--main Deco M5 (bedroom/office

\--2nd Deco M5 (office/bedroom)

In this layout, it is suggested to configure the main Deco M5 into an Access Point mode, then run speedtest again to confirm if this helps.

BTW, please compare the link speed on the PC when it connects to the Ethernet cable from the wall with that when it connects to the Deco:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2899/

What is the speedtest result on the Deco app? Please show us the test result:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1462/

Thanks a lot~

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-21 06:13:11

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi.

He's that setup is correct.

I already posted the speed test results in the main post.

The pc wired to the wall is 75mb and the main deco can go from 20 to 60 but usually 20 to 35.

The deco speed test results are good, the wifi isn't the problem, wifi speeds are very good 

Options
2020-10-21 08:32:55

@Ayohaych 

Hi, thanks for the reply.

That is wired, can you please confirm what is the link speed between the PC and Deco? 75Mbps is the speedtest result, and as you know if the link speed is not good, the speedtest result won't be good either. It is suggested to try with another cat5e or cat6 cable between the Deco and the PC, ensure the link speed is good first, then we can test with speedtest again.

BTW, how long is the cable between the Deco and PC?

Options
2020-10-21 11:18:34

@TP-Link_Deco 

Ok so the PC wired into the wall directly was 100Mbps, and wired into the Deco is 1.0Gbps.

Speed test on Ookla speed test on PC wired into Deco was 56mbps. On my phone wifi it was 67.6.

Seems weird that the wired connection would be slower than the phone.

What do you recommend now?

Options
2020-10-22 01:18:58

@Ayohaych 

Agree with you that the issue is weird. Just confirm again, is the 'smart home hub' still in the network? If not, that means all the Ethernet cables in different rooms get the internet directly from the ASUS router.

Do you have any other laptop or desktop PC to perform this test, connect one to the Deco M5 with an Ethernet cable to do the comparison? If the speed on the other PC is normal, that means there is no issue with the Deco setup, we may need to check further with the Virtual Desktop Discord.

Thanks.

Options
2020-10-22 19:58:14

@TP-Link_Deco So the 'smart home hub' is essentially an ethernet hub in the closet, which is where the main phone and internet line are, it connects to this hub and can forward the internet and phone lines to each room. So basically it routes the traffic to the modem/router in the living room. So when my PC is connected into the wall it is wired to that and therefore wired into the modem/router. 

So its not actually a network, its just routing the ethernet lines around the home.Yes all ethernet cables in different rooms essentially connect to the Asus router.

I tested it with a Macbook just now.

75mb download speed on Ookla when wired to the wall vs 10-30mb download speed when wired into the M5.

Any ideas?

Options
2020-10-23 10:42:06
Options
2020-10-23 11:21:35

@Ayohaych 

Hi, to locate this issue and try to fix it, we would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check your inbox and provide the information that we need.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1653

Replies: 9

Related Articles