TL-WR841N protocols used for populating DHCP Client List

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-31 22:31:27
Model: TL-WR841N_EU  
Hardware Version: V13
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.16 v0001.0 Build 180119 Rel.65243n

I am having problems getting a device I am developing to appear on the DHCP Client list on a TP-Link TL-WR841N_EU router. 

I have watched the device using wireshark and the DHCP Discover, Offer, Request and ACK messages are all going through as expected, so the device is getting the IP address from the router.  This device currently supports IGMPv2, ARP and MDNS.  I can ping the device, access a web page the device is hosting etc. so I believe the device is generally working.  Another router does show the device in its DHCP list, That router is an old one running ww-drt.

I have watched another known good device that does show up on the DHCP Client list boot up with wireshark and there are a few protocols that are going through (at least IGMPv3, ICMPv6, LLMNR).

Does anyone have any hints on which protocols might help to get my device showing on the client list?

Thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-WR841N protocols used for populating DHCP Client List
2019-04-01 08:57:40

Hi,

For DHCP device, it will forward its own info to the router, once the connection built successfully, it will show up on the DHCP client list.

Meanwhile the DHCP client list has nothing to do with these protocols.

Back to your case, it is suggested to forget the profile and reconnect to the network to give it a go. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/search/?q=profile&t=FAQ&s=

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:TL-WR841N protocols used for populating DHCP Client List
2019-04-01 20:30:19

Thank you very much for your help Kevin.

I forgot to mention the device is cabled into the router and doesn't record it's profile information.  I have captured the DHCP ACK from the router to device and as far as I can tell the device covers all the requirements of RFC 2131 for DHCP but it's still not showing in the client List for this router.  

I shall persevere and if I have some success I will let everyone know what I was doing incorrectly.

Thanks

Options
Re:TL-WR841N protocols used for populating DHCP Client List
2019-04-02 00:28:11

Just in case anyone else is searching for the same issue, try sending a dns query message to the router.  I've found that after that refreshing the client list web page causes an ARP 'who has' message to be sent to the device and a reply makes it show up on the list.  A gratuitous ARP on startup was not sufficent.

Options
Re:Re:TL-WR841N protocols used for populating DHCP Client List
2019-04-03 02:30:33

Cass_R wrote

Just in case anyone else is searching for the same issue, try sending a dns query message to the router.  I've found that after that refreshing the client list web page causes an ARP 'who has' message to be sent to the device and a reply makes it show up on the list.  A gratuitous ARP on startup was not sufficent.

Hi,

Thanks for your valued reply, so can I say that it shows up under DHCP client list afer you refreshed the web UI or so? 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2240

Replies: 4

Related Articles