Lan settings groups

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Lan settings groups

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Lan settings groups
Lan settings groups
2019-04-02 14:41:32 - last edited 2019-04-03 02:10:18
Model: Archer MR200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 181022 Rel.40644n

Hi.

I was setting up my Lan when I saw a dropdown list to select a group for a specific Lan setting. I can see that there is only a group to select, called default. This would be a great feature to have, since it would allow me to differentiate the devices by groups. So, I went to search inside all the admin web pages of the router, I even read the user manual (the picture below is from the manual) and there is no option to add new groups. Is this normal?

Best regards.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Lan settings groups
2019-04-03 02:10:08 - last edited 2019-04-03 02:10:18

Hi,

To access internet from the MR200, the devices should be in the same subnet as the router's; 

Meanwhile, address reservation is used to add a reserved address for a client. When you specify an IP address for a device on the LAN, that device will always receive the same IP address each time when it accesses the DHCP server.

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Lan settings groups
2019-04-06 14:33:37 - last edited 2019-04-06 14:33:59

I can't see where your answer has something to do with my question... Maybe I didn't explain mysef. I'll try again:

When setting an address reservation, there's a dropdown to select a group. Where is it possible to add more groups? The dropdown only has "default" group.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Lan settings groups
2019-04-18 07:38:20

Hi,

sorry to respond late. 

For your information, this function need work with interface grouping together, while MR200 does not support the latter one. So that is why you can not add more groups.

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-30 12:46:35

Hi there,

is this the same with the Archer MR600, that you can not create different groups?

Thanks,

Markus

Options
2020-11-28 10:08:58

@leiti373 I've the same problem witth the same router.

Why there is this dropdown if it's not possible change the group?

Options
2021-06-07 11:00:50 - last edited 2021-06-07 12:35:14

@DAGA I understand, at some time recently ( possibly late 2020 )

a firmware update was released that removed the ability to assign separate DHCP " groups " to each interface

and this change went unnoticed until i needed to make modification to my IP " group " assignments 

Take you TP-LINK :-(

---

Maybe Im just OLD FASHIONED .. 

but for me being able to assign address blocks in this manner is really IMPORTANT function

thankfully I  had previously created 2 extra" groups " before this change  " WI-FI / LAN "

And migrated my " qualified users " to these, while retaining " guests " in the " default "

and that this feature is still supported by the present firmware ..

---

WHY AM I DOING THIS ???

---

I feel the need to isolate GUESTS ( who are permitted password free access ) from a private LAN as a ABSOLUTE NECESSITY   

And the ability to assign them a completely unique IP ADDRESS BLOCK as the BEST way to ATTAIN SEPARATION

--- 

I am especially grateful that support of Previously Created DHCP Groups continues - THANK YOU TP-LINK :-)

---

Here is how my Router is configured --

I have placed ALL my "qualified" LAN users in DHCP groups " LAN " & " WI / FI " 
and assigned them LAN IP address in the 192.168.1.x & 192.168.2.x range

now they are isolated  from " GUESTS " ( who have {no password} access ) who remain in DHCP group " default "

To better isolate them

I have assigned " GUESTs " a small block of 15 ip addresses in the (old) 100.64.x.x to 100.127.x.x  "  Carrier Grade NAT " address  block

(( as the router translates the LAN IPS into its WAN ip, when routing beyond the local LAN )
   except when tunneling; there is unlikely to be a conflict using this old ADDRESS BLOCK on my local LAN  )

Because guest users are now assigned there IP addresses in a separate DHCP block

I have control of both the availability of address's and the duration of lease period 

by having control of address allocation, this permits me to control how numerous they are 

While the Totally unrelated IP Address block they have been assigned, provides a second layer of isolation them from my LAN network ..

------

attached are screenshots of my router configuration ( taken 7th june 2021 )

you may notice that the largest proportion of my users are GUESTS ( LoL )

configeration..

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2405

Replies: 6