Deco M5 main router connecting wireless

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-09 18:37:58
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I've got a 3 router Deco M5 installation at my home.

Currently it is like this:

Internet modem --- ethernet --- Deco Main --- wireless --- Deco 2 --- wireless --- Deco 3

So, this really means that Deco Main sees Deco 2, but does not see Deco 3 directly (only by going through Deco 2 can the signal reach there).

However I'd like to make the following change that I expect would give me better coverage all around (given the specifics of my house):

Internet modem --- wireless --- DecoMain --- wireless --- Deco 2

\--- wireless --- Deco 3

In this scenario both Deco 2 and 3 would be visible from Deco Main (but not visible to each other).

So the maximum number of wireless hops would continue to be 2 (the same), and the internet modem does have Wifi AC with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneous broadcasting.

So in principle this should work, but...

Is it possible to configure the Deco Main to connect to a wireless network?

If no, why not? (this should be fairly simple)

If yes, then how? (I could not find this anywhere)

Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 main router connecting wireless
2019-04-11 03:02:44

Hi,

Internet modem --- ethernet --- Deco Main --- wireless --- Deco 2 --- wireless --- Deco 3; Whether the Deco main can see the Deco 3 directly depends on the distance/wifi coverage area, with Deco 3 covered by Deco Main, even though Deco 2 drops signal, Deco 3 will reconnect to the Deco main to get internet; In other word, if Deco 3 can get wifi signal from both 2 Decos, it will choose the best one automatically to connect. 

FYI, the Deco main can connect to the modem by wired cable only now. That is to say, the Deco Main cannot connect to the modem by wireless. And Deco supports router mode and Access point mode. 

You can connect Deco 2 --wifi -- Deco Main --wifi--Deco 3

\

internet/modem 

Good day. 

nsantos wrote

Hi,

I've got a 3 router Deco M5 installation at my home.

Currently it is like this:

Internet modem --- ethernet --- Deco Main --- wireless --- Deco 2 --- wireless --- Deco 3

So, this really means that Deco Main sees Deco 2, but does not see Deco 3 directly (only by going through Deco 2 can the signal reach there).

However I'd like to make the following change that I expect would give me better coverage all around (given the specifics of my house):

Internet modem --- wireless --- DecoMain --- wireless --- Deco 2

\--- wireless --- Deco 3

In this scenario both Deco 2 and 3 would be visible from Deco Main (but not visible to each other).

So the maximum number of wireless hops would continue to be 2 (the same), and the internet modem does have Wifi AC with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneous broadcasting.

So in principle this should work, but...

Is it possible to configure the Deco Main to connect to a wireless network?

If no, why not? (this should be fairly simple)

If yes, then how? (I could not find this anywhere)

Thanks!

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 main router connecting wireless
2019-06-20 01:02:56

Hi Kevin_Z,

Thanks for all the clarifications. :)

It is unfortunate that the "Deco main can connect to the modem by wired cable only" as you mentioned.

Kevin_Z wrote

FYI, the Deco main can connect to the modem by wired cable only now. That is to say, the Deco Main cannot connect to the modem by wireless. And Deco supports router mode and Access point mode.  

But there is a little word at the end of that sentence, you said "Deco main can connect to the modem by wired cable only now".

Does that mean that we can we expect any sort update that will make that possible?

Or in case it is not expected can this be a suggestion for adding that functionality?

Because as far as I understand, there is no HW restriction for that, is that correct?

So a FW update should be able to allow that, right?

I do understand that you probably would warn that doing such a configuration could result in lower speeds...

That would be a fare warning as the internet router might only be able to use an older version of WiFi (3 or G, for example).

But on the other hand, the same might be said about ethernet, as an older internet router might only be able of 100mbps.

So that all amounts to normal network and WiFi network deployment and coverage.

Thanks

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 main router connecting wireless
2019-06-23 05:11:52

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

We are not sure whether the Deco can support repeater mode in the future, while like you said, you can keep an eye on official website to get some updates. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1583

Replies: 3

Related Articles