An Investigation on multi-functional USB port of TP-LINK routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-06-13 09:46:25
Many of TP-LINK wireless routers have the USB ports which can perform the functions of storage sharing, ftp server, media server and printer server.However, because of the limitation of hardware and software, the USB ports may not satisfy your expectation perfectly. We would like to seek for your comments and suggestions on USB function of TP-LINK routers now.

We will take all your suggestions into careful consideration. If good and applicable, we will put it into effect humbly.

Please put forward your comments and suggestions thereafter this post according to the following three contents:
1、The experiences with TP-LINK routers’ USB ports including satisfactions and dissatisfactions.
2、The comparisonon experiences with other brand routers’ for USB functions.
3、Suggestions to TP-LINK USB products for future development.
Options
9 Reply
Re:An Investigation on multi-functional USB port of TP-LINK routers
2013-06-15 15:05:26
Hi,
I own a TD-W8968 and I'm satisfied about the overall performances but I'm very disappointed by the printer server functions/utility. In fact I have at home a small mixed network Windows/Linux and I can't manage the printer via the router usb when using the Linux pc. With my previous router (Pirelli Alice gate 2+) I was able to manage printers via the Samba server embedded in the router without using any external application/program/driver. Now, using telnet, I had a look at the CLI of my TD-W8968 : basically is a linux embedded OS. I wonder why tp-link didn't enable the "print section" in smb.conf and the usb over ip ( I suppose via kernel). For me and many other people using linux (and MacOS) should be very very very very appreciated if you can fix this issue and let us manage printers directly via Samba server like many other router's brands.
Thanks in advance

P.S. sorry for my poor english !
Options
Android USB Tether
2013-06-23 02:00:34
The introduction of usb port in TD-W8968 is very good initiative. It creates lots of possibilities for the modem usage. The file sharing feature is pretty straight forward and I love it.

2 things which I feel is necessary in this modem is:

[*]The data transfer speed of usb share is limited to 2 MB/s which is per the standard usb1.1. I hope a minor driver update of usb port will upgrade it to usb 2.0. Could you please check on this and release a firmware update if needed.
[*]
[*]One of the ubiquitous device available in home is android mobile. It would good if the usb tethering feature of android device be integrated with this modem. So that I connect the android and the modem with a usb cable, turn on usb tethering.Voila, the android device data service is broadcasted via modem's wifi.
[*](You could ask me to simply use the wifi tether available in android itself. But wifi tether is very much battery hungry)
Options
TD-W8968 witn IP camera TL-SC3230N
2014-01-07 22:44:13
Hello,

I bought the TD-W8968 to be able to turn my external hard drive into a NAS to record the video from my ip cameras (SC3230N), so i dont need to use a computer with the IP survillance running, or a server. I want the cameras to record directly into my external drive.
I was able to set the drive in the router, but couldn't mount it in the cameras, see below the screenshots of the configuration and tell me please what i am doing wrong.

Thank you!

Options
2014-03-08 18:52:57
this is to inform you that i am facing problem with usb printer sharing it get randomly disconnected every time after some time it works correct but randomly so please help
Options
Samsung media server support
2014-03-19 16:40:43
Hi,

1、It would be fantastic... but... see 3.:confused:
3、Please, solve issue with Samsung TV! It would be "icing on the cake" and could solve many of my storage problems...

Regards,
Graziano.
Options
about USB and an offtopic suggestion
2014-03-29 00:35:16
Hi,

first of all... I just got my TD-W8968 so my thoughts are based on my first impression and experience with other routers/modems/access points in the past.

1. Not to be able to used the shared printer from under linux is a big no go.
2. Beeing able not to have to choose between ADSL and 3G but to use them at the same time (based on MAC/IP) would be nice.
3. I'm not sure if I can attach an USB Hub to the port, if not 1 USB Port is not enough. I wish I hadn't had to choose between Printer, Storage, 3G Modem.
4. Time-schedule parental control is nice, but it is not what (imho) parents should use. Some kind of earn-points-spend-points mechanism would ROCK. It wouldn't have to be anything fancy for the beginning. Simple web interface, where parents set goals and rewards (Example: "Showing me math home work is done - 50 points (bonus 15 points if done till 16:00"), and define how many points does it cost to go to a specific address for a specific amount of time (which is not perfect / content analysis better / but for beginning OK). And an interface for the children, so they can see how points can be earned, how many points they have, and how they can spend it. If I had children I would use something like that if I could.

that's all for now... need to find an USB Hub... :D
Options
2014-04-29 13:12:12
The multi-purpose USB port was an important factor in our deciding to go for W8968 router from TP-Link for 2 different places. We will probably buy one more exactly same model for a third location of our organization.
We use these routers with wired ADSL connections at all locations and a backup 3G Dongle from Tata Photon+ in case the primary internet connection in any of the location is lost. However, we have many PCs that have manually configured IP address. This is fine with ADSL connection. However, when we have to switch to 3G backup internet then the PC with "Automatically assigned IP address" only get internet. Manually configured PCs do not get internet. Please note again that these manually configured PCs have no problem getting internet when the internet is through primary ADSL account.
Options
speed
2014-07-12 04:52:03
well I am quite angry, as I bought usb 3 stick and speed is 1.2mbs over wifi, you should not be able to market that as it is pathetic
Options
N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router Model No. TD-W8980
2014-08-07 01:49:03
I have attached a Mediasonic drive to one of the USB ports on the router, and it is recognized - but only 1 of the drives is seen. There are 4 x 2TB drives in this box that are recognized and usable on a Windows 8.1 computer.

I am unable to find or manually load any of the additional drives. As a media-share, this is not very functional. What is wrong?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 848

Replies: 9

Related Articles