WDS between Archer c50 and WR841 not working properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-19 03:23:14
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 3.12.9 Build 120221 Rel.31475n

Hi,

I recently bought a Archer C50 and setup as my main router. Now I trying to configure my old WR841N as WDS to extend a little more my network.
I setup everything like this https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/227/ but I get no internet connection on WR841N..

Status on Archer C50

Status on WR841N

- QSS is disabled on WR841
- Firewall is disabled on WR841
- DHCP is disabled on WR841 and I not receiving an IP from main router (Archer C50) when I try to connect through cable or wifi

Through a computer connected to the main router, I can access the WR841N web interface and ping the ip address
- Through the Diagnostic Tools on WR841 settings I can ping every internal ip on network(including archer c50), but no external ip or site like google.com

- Through a computer connected on WR841 with static IP, I can access the web interface but i can't ping anything else (nor the archer)

WR841 diagnistic

there is something more I need to do for this work or this is just not supported between this 2 models?

Options
4 Reply
Re:WDS between Archer c50 and WR841 not working properly
2019-04-19 07:41:16

Hi,

The 841N is in the same subnet with C50, that is why all the devices can ping each other, while cause it cannot ping outside, the internet failed to connect.

Did you use the C50's wifi password to configure the WDS function on the 841N? 

And cause the wifi function will be affected a lot by the interference, is it possible for you to connect the 841N to the C50 by wired cable to extend wifi signal as an access point? Below is the instruction: 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-wr841n/#video

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:WDS between Archer c50 and WR841 not working properly
2019-04-19 14:11:38

Hi kevin,

The 841N is in the same subnet with C50, that is why all the devices can ping each other, while cause it cannot ping outside, the internet failed to connect.

I mentioned this example to demonstrate that the routers are connected, but not passing any data. It is as if he had something blocking the DHCP work through WDS

Did you use the C50's wifi password to configure the WDS function on the 841N? 

I don't understand that.. I use the same wifi password on both routers.. if tou see the screenshot, the WDS status on 841N in RUN (this in the documentation means that they are connected).

And cause the wifi function will be affected a lot by the interference, is it possible for you to connect the 841N to the C50 by wired cable to extend wifi signal as an access point? Below is the instruction: 

for this setup i can't use cable.. =(

thanks

Options
Re:Re:Re:WDS between Archer c50 and WR841 not working properly
2019-04-22 03:45:04

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, cause the 841N uses the same wifi name as C50 once they connected, please connect your computer to the 841N by wired cable and check the IP address and default gateway; and please test whether it can access internet. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/838/

Besides, you can exchange their locations to do a comparison analysis. In other word, please configure 841N as main router and enable WDS function on the Archer C50 and give it a go. 

Any updates, please let me know. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:WDS between Archer c50 and WR841 not working properly
2019-04-30 00:11:28

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, cause the 841N uses the same wifi name as C50 once they connected, please connect your computer to the 841N by wired cable and check the IP address and default gateway; and please test whether it can access internet. 

On my first post I already told I tested connect to 841N through cable and wifi and I did not receive an IP from DHCP.. If I set my IP on windows I still have no internet.

And if you see the pictures, wifi name is different on each router

thx

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1980

Replies: 4