Archer C8 disconnects/blocks VoIP adapter (analog telephone adapter or "ATA")

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-22 20:17:52
Model: Archer C8  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

I used to use Cisco's SPA112 with TP Link's TL WR1043ND for years. Never a problem.

I recently switched to Archer C8. Although it may be a coincidence, the SPA112 started de-registering/unregistering the user and refused to reconnect. Rebooting and/or unplugging does not resolve the issue. The ATA/VoiP eventually reconnects - completely randomly.

I changed to Grandstream HT814 - the same problem. 

I checked with the VoIP providers and implemented all recommendations - the issue persists.

The SIP ALG in the Archer C8 is disabled.

I have not yet switched back to TL WR1043ND just yet, but that will be the next step.

I am, of course, not sure that it is the router's fault, but cannot think of another source of the problem - given that it affects equipment whose settings have not been changed and then it is the same with new equipment.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C8 disconnects/blocks VoIP adapter (analog telephone adapter or "ATA")
2019-04-23 03:02:54

Hi,

What is the current network topology? 

What do you mean that the SPA112 started de-registering/unregistering the user and refused to reconnect? More details will be better. 

And please enable SIP ALG; what about other devices? Do they get stable network connection?

It seems that the VOIP phone adapter drops connection, if possible, please conatct their tech support of the VOIP provider to check is there any log/ info can be provided to do further analysis.

Any updates, please let us know.

Good day. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-04-23 12:43:54

Kevin_Z wrote

Hi,

What is the current network topology? 

What do you mean that the SPA112 started de-registering/unregistering the user and refused to reconnect? More details will be better. 

And please enable SIP ALG; what about other devices? Do they get stable network connection?

It seems that the VOIP phone adapter drops connection, if possible, please conatct their tech support of the VOIP provider to check is there any log/ info can be provided to do further analysis.

Any updates, please let us know.

Good day. 

Good morning @Kevin_Z 

The network is: ISP modem (Livebox 3.0) -> Archer C8 -> ATA (Grandstream HT814). Previously, I used SPA112.

Whenever the phone is dead, I log into the ATA web UI and I see "failed" under registration. Rebooting the ATA and the router, as well as unplugging both does not resolve the problem. However, after a while, the device shows "registered" again and everything works.

Upon inquiring with the VoIP provider, I was told to change the registration interval to 3 minutes. When I subsequently inquired with Grandstream, I was told to increase it to 5 minutes. Still - no luck. The VoIP provider told me to disable SIP ALG, though (which it already was by default).

Here is another detail: I needed to put a phone into another room, so I added a network client into which I plugged in the SPA112. That phone now uses the following network map: ISP modem (Livebox 3.0) -> Archer C8 -> TL-WR802N set to client mode -> SPA112. And I had the same problem: the SPA112 would randomly fail to register.

More detail that I can think about: I left the Grandstream set up with port 5060. I changed the SPA112 (plugged into the WR802N) to use port 6060. It worked flawlessly for a while, then stopped.

Given that none of this was happening with the previous router and the issue affects both ATA's, I am guessing that it is the router. It can, of course, be the ISP's modem.

Question: I am not very well versed in networking - should I specifically open the SIP ports in the router? Or - if they were closed - the ATAs would never work (rather than just disconnect randomly)?

Meanwhile, I will enable SIP ALG as soon as I can access the router remotely (another thing that worked via "domain.tplinkdns.com:port", but stopped although no settings were changed).  Right now, neither of the ATAs is able to register.

Options
Re:Archer C8 disconnects/blocks VoIP adapter (analog telephone adapter or "ATA")
2019-04-24 08:29:08

Hi Howard, 

Please try to enable SIP ALG first and then remind me the updates. 

If still the same, we are able to do further troubleshooting. 

Good day. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-04-30 12:02:25

Kevin_Z wrote

Hi Howard, 

Good day. 

Good morning,

The SPA112 registration failed again, so enabling the SIP ALG did not do the trick.

The Grandstream is still registered.

Please kindly let me know what to try next. I have to wait to get remote access to the computer as I am away for a few weeks, doing all this remotely. Will swap the Archer C8 for the WR1043ND as soon as I am back, just to test if it is the Archer or something else somewhere on the network.

Thank you for your help.

Options
2019-05-09 13:26:02 - last edited 2019-05-09 13:31:02

Kevin_Z wrote

Hi Howard, 

Good day. 

Hello again,

So, the Grandstream ATA is still registered. The network layout for this one is Internet -> ISP Modem/Router -> Archer C8 -> Grandstream ATA.

The other ATA - Cisco's SPA112 - refuses to register. The network layout for this one is Internet -> ISP Modem/Router -> Archer C8 -> TL WR802N (set to Client Mode) -> SPA112. 

I put the SPA112 into the DMZ on Archer C8 - no luck.

One other thought here: the ISP modem/router does not have the option to be set to bridge mode only. It does, however, have the option to disable the DHCP. Right now, the DHCP in the ISP modem/router is enabled. Could this be causing problems?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1623

Replies: 5

Related Articles