does guest network work in AP mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-25 14:49:23
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Is guest network supposed to work in AP mode? I mean, it works, I can enable it, sent a SSID and password, but the guest network is not isolated . . . that's kinda the point of a guest network.

Options
8 Reply
Re:does guest network work in AP mode?
2019-04-28 01:55:39

Hi,

The Deco supports guest network in AP mode, while the guest network and main network are not isolated for now. 

Our engineers are working on it and evaluate it. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

kens190 wrote

Is guest network supposed to work in AP mode? I mean, it works, I can enable it, sent a SSID and password, but the guest network is not isolated . . . that's kinda the point of a guest network.

Options
2019-07-19 08:21:24

I have a Deco M4 and I can't enable the guest network in AP mode. It only works in router mode. Any plans for an update to allow to run guest network in AP mode?

Options
Re:Re:does guest network work in AP mode?
2019-07-19 20:17:03 - last edited 2019-07-19 20:28:37

dkns wrote

I have a Deco M4 and I can't enable the guest network in AP mode. It only works in router mode. Any plans for an update to allow to run guest network in AP mode?

I need to know the same thing. I need to use the AP mode to generate a guest nerwo

Options
Re:Re:does guest network work in AP mode?
2019-07-20 00:53:58

@Kevin_Z

Any update to this?  3 months since the birth of this thread.  I have M9 Plus in AP mode, Guest is enable but as describe, it is in the same networked IP range as the main network.

Options
2019-07-27 20:00:05

Last  firmware  update for DECO M4 implemented the Guest Network in AP mode but still with the same problem as you report ed 3 months  ago. Hopefully,  TP-Link engineers will get it implemented as isolated networks soon...

Options
2019-09-07 10:36:38 - last edited 2019-09-07 10:43:14

ok i'm completely speechless!

I just bought the M4 (in AP mode) and it is made for beginner users (and below). No MAC Filtering, no reservation the advance settings are not advanced. Ok those i can get by. But the fact that the guest network is not guest network is beyond me!

per Official FAQ:

A guest network allows visitors in your home to use the internet without needing to connect to your private network. Wireless devices connected to a guest network have no access to resources shared on the main network so that the security and privacy of the main network are guaranteed.

And here, installed the latest firmware,  created the guest, connect and i see IP on the same subnet as the Main Network, ok something is wrong here, i ping my PC yes, i access SMB, Home Servers everything. There is got to be an option i say somewhere, of course nothing, just beutiful icons and buttons. I search and i see that THIS IS HOW IT WORKS!

Seriously now, is this going to be fixed on next soon firmware or i'm returning this for good ?

Kevin_Z wrote

Hi,

The Deco supports guest network in AP mode, while the guest network and main network are not isolated for now. 

Our engineers are working on it and evaluate it. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

And on a second note, Stating on the official site and support that guest is isolate and replying that is clearly a misstreat and missguide of the customer with completely false advertising of product. Put a remark, put an asterisk somewhere.

I had a 4 year old TP-LINK of 15€ that had more options and flexibility than this.

Sorry for my rant.

Regards,

Vassilis

Options
2020-03-17 16:43:37

@Vassilis 

Any updates of this issue!!!!

Options
2020-03-17 16:49:42

@n4bs nothing of course, according to other recent similar topics here TP link said no ETA on the firmware.

So i went to the only solution of changing to router mode.

check my thread:  https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/171344

Options