C2300 as Access Point: no internet connectivity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-02 14:04:34
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Archer C2300(US)_V1_180611

I have new C2300. It's updated to the latest firmware. It's configured as an Access Point, and is connected to a Hitron CGN3 which is the gateway router to the internet.

I have found three problems with the C2300:
- it is unable to connect to NTP server, so can't automatically update its internal time.
- using System Tools/Diagnostics, it can't perform PING or TRACEROUTE tests to internet hosts.
- it is unable to check for firmware upgrades from TP-Link server, nor download new firmware.

All these problems are caused by the fact that it does not know the IP of the Hitron router to which it is connected (192.168.0.1).  When the C2300 is placed into Access Point mode, its Network configuration page gets dumbed down significantly.

On the LAN settings page, one can only specify its IP address and subnet. (I have assigned it 192.168.0.2 & 255.255.255.0).  But there is no place to specify the router and DNS addresses. These two settings are required for the C2300 to connect to the internet.

How does one specify the router and DNS addresses when a TP-Link router is in Access Point mode? Is it possible to SSH into the C2300 and set them there?

Options
15 Reply
Re:C2300 as Access Point: no internet connectivity
2019-05-05 07:31:41

Hi,

First of all, there is no internet connectivity that is why some functions do not work. 

Below is the instruction to configure it as an access point. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/archer-c2300/#video or https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2066/

You do not have to change the router or DNS, change the IP address to the same subnet and avoid the conflicts. 

And once you change the operation mode to Access point, you need connect the blue WAN port to the Hitron router by wired cable. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

kyphos wrote

I have new C2300. It's updated to the latest firmware. It's configured as an Access Point, and is connected to a Hitron CGN3 which is the gateway router to the internet.

I have found three problems with the C2300:
- it is unable to connect to NTP server, so can't automatically update its internal time.
- using System Tools/Diagnostics, it can't perform PING or TRACEROUTE tests to internet hosts.
- it is unable to check for firmware upgrades from TP-Link server, nor download new firmware.

All these problems are caused by the fact that it does not know the IP of the Hitron router to which it is connected (192.168.0.1).  When the C2300 is placed into Access Point mode, its Network configuration page gets dumbed down significantly.

On the LAN settings page, one can only specify its IP address and subnet. (I have assigned it 192.168.0.2 & 255.255.255.0).  But there is no place to specify the router and DNS addresses. These two settings are required for the C2300 to connect to the internet.

How does one specify the router and DNS addresses when a TP-Link router is in Access Point mode? Is it possible to SSH into the C2300 and set them there?

Options
Re:Re:C2300 as Access Point: no internet connectivity
2019-05-06 02:20:01

Did not help.

I followed the link that you provided, and followed those instructions which indicate how to configure the wireless portion of the access point (SSIDs and password). However, the instructions do not explain how to configure the LAN settings.

I confirm that the main router (Hitron) is connected to the blue WAN port of the TP-Link C2300, with an ethernet cable.

I set the IP addess of the C2300 to 192.168.0.2/24 on the Network->LAN page.   That's in the same subnet as the rest of the LAN; the main router is at 192.168.0.1/24.

The C2300 has no internet connectivity: 

(1) It can't obtain network time from NTP servers (I've tried with a number of different NTP servers).  So access control schedules malfunction.

(2) It can't contact the TP-Link server to check for any firmware updates. Attempting to check for update results in error: "no internet connectivity".

(3) It can't ping internet hosts using its Diagnostic Tools.

It appears that the C2300 does not know the IP address of the main router (192.168.0.1), nor what DNS server to use.

On the LAN configuration page, I have entered the desired IP address (192.168.0.2) and subnet (255.255.255.0).  However, there are no fields on the LAN page with which to specify the router address and the DNS address.   Without a definition of the main router's IP,  how does the C2300 know how to route traffic to the internet?

Perhaps my expectations of this network device are incorrect.  You wrote that when in Access Point mode, "some functions do not work".

• When in Access Point mode, should the C2300 be able to check for firmware upgrades? 

• When in Access Point mode, should C2300 be able to obtain accurate time from NTP servers?

Thanks.

Options
Re:Re:Re:C2300 as Access Point: no internet connectivity
2019-05-06 07:23:22

Hi,

Thanks for your valued reply. Except static IP, have you ever tried to choose smart IP and give it a go?

Meanwhile, have you ever contacted our tech support via hotline or email yet? If so, do you have any case number?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-05-06 14:44:47

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin,

Yes - I tried with Static IP and also "Smart IP".  (I assume that "Smart IP" is the TP-Link name for DHCP).

The results were the same with both. 

When in Static IP configuration, there is no way that the C2300 will be able to connect to the internet (for example,  to check for firmware updates) since the Static IP configuration page has no place for the user to specify the router address.  In this network, the main router is at 192.168.0.1, but it could be anywhere. It might be at 192.168.0.254.  The C2300 has no way to know.

In "Smart IP" mode, the C2300 should obtain router address (and also DNS address) from the main router using DHCP.  But I found that it was still unable to connect to the internet.  I rebooted the C2300 after changing to "Smart IP" mode, yet the NTP queries still failed, and attempts to check for firmware update produced the same "no connection to internet" error.

I have reported this problem to TP-Link Support.

Options
2019-05-07 01:57:54

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

While if you have reported it to our tech support team, please wait a while then and our engineer will contact you via email.

Have a nice day. 

Options
2019-05-07 13:46:13

Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post.

Options
2019-05-10 01:13:07

You are most welcome and wish you good luck.

If need any further help in the future, do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day. 

kyphos wrote

Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post.

Options
2019-09-29 09:03:35

@kyphos 

I have the same identical problem, exactly with all the symptoms you reported.
I found a ridiculous workaround, to make it work at least temporarily:
go in "Network->DHCP Server", abilitate it, configure default gateway and DNSs, save the configuration, disable back the DHCP server, save again.
After this useless operation, I am able to connect NTP and check for firmware updates BUT... after an absolute random timeframe (hours as time dimension) the configuration regresses to the wrong state.

My personal opinion: as it happens in all types of these devices it is normal that there is some flaw, but it is shameful that after 5 months there is no fix or at least an answer in this thread.

Thanks

Options
2019-09-30 07:49:54

@floppini 

Thanks for your reply and sharing.

Our engineer followed up this case via email per we said earlier, and we did not update here.

We will keep in mind to post it to help others in need. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-02-23 17:54:56

floppini wrote

@kyphos 

I have the same identical problem, exactly with all the symptoms you reported.
I found a ridiculous workaround, to make it work at least temporarily:
go in "Network->DHCP Server", abilitate it, configure default gateway and DNSs, save the configuration, disable back the DHCP server, save again.
After this useless operation, I am able to connect NTP and check for firmware updates BUT... after an absolute random timeframe (hours as time dimension) the configuration regresses to the wrong state.

My personal opinion: as it happens in all types of these devices it is normal that there is some flaw, but it is shameful that after 5 months there is no fix or at least an answer in this thread.

Thanks

@floppini 

I noticed the same issue as described above with AP mode and a static IP address on an Archer A7. Firmware is the latest as of the date of this post. "smart ip" (aka dhcp mode) works though for me.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4327

Replies: 15