Nodes unstabe after upgrading to 1.2.8

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-03 13:25:04 - last edited 2019-05-03 13:27:07
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

Previously i was running on 1.2.4 - Not a single issue in > 6 months! (so very stable connections, no disconnecting nodes, no disconnecting clients => rock solid)

Immediately after the update to 1.2.8 the nodes became very unstable:

My setup

Modem ------->Main Deco

Node 1 -> Wireless connnected to Main deco / Node 2

Node 2 -> Connected with ethernet to Main Deco

With unstable i mean:

- Mutilple times per day 1, one or more nodes are disconnected.

- Sometime the nodes blink red, sometimes they the led is green (and only in the app itself you see "disconnected from internet"

-> only thing that fixes the issue: unplug the power from the node, and plug it back in.

What i tried so far:

- Resetting nodes (remove from network, and add again)

- Change locations

- Disable fast roaming

As others have noted: now i also see an open network "Deco_896C".

I can connect to this network and it will give an internet connection too: not a nice feeling that i have an open network now.

(i disabled fast roaming, guest network, but the open network is still there)

As others noted: It would be nice if we could downgrade firmware -> that would be the fastest fix 

Options
14 Reply
Re:Nodes unstabe after upgrading to 1.2.8
2019-05-04 00:26:39
I got a absoultely same issue as janoosti after upgrading to 1.2.8. (and I also have M5 V1) I also want to return to 1.2.4 which didn't make any issue.
Options
Re:Nodes unstabe after upgrading to 1.2.8
2019-05-05 03:18:35

Hi,

Can you get internet from the modem directly when the Deco units stop working?

Any error message pops up on the Deco app? Please show us a picture of it. 

Please simplify the network topology, that is to say, power on the main Deco only and test whether you have the same issue. 

Please tell me your TP-Link cloud ID as well.

Besides, please show us a picture of the open SSID you saw. 

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

janoosti wrote

Previously i was running on 1.2.4 - Not a single issue in > 6 months! (so very stable connections, no disconnecting nodes, no disconnecting clients => rock solid)

My setup

Modem ------->Main Deco

With unstable i mean:

- Sometime the nodes blink red, sometimes they the led is green (and only in the app itself you see "disconnected from internet"

-> only thing that fixes the issue: unplug the power from the node, and plug it back in.

What i tried so far:

- Change locations

- Disable fast roaming

I can connect to this network and it will give an internet connection too: not a nice feeling that i have an open network now.

As others noted: It would be nice if we could downgrade firmware -> that would be the fastest fix 

Options
Re:Re:Nodes unstabe after upgrading to 1.2.8
2019-05-05 03:23:35

Hi,

Sorry for the trouble caused here. We can do some troubleshooting first. 

Could you please provide us more details:

1. The current network topology/diagram.

2. The model number of the Deco and the light status when the connection drops out/

3. If all the devices stops working at the same time? Can you get internet from the modem directly then?

4. Please try to disable fast roaming, set QoS as standard and clear all the high priority items to give it a go. 

5. Besides, please tell us your TP-link ID also.

NoDoubt wrote

I got a absoultely same issue as janoosti after upgrading to 1.2.8. (and I also have M5 V1) I also want to return to 1.2.4 which didn't make any issue.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Nodes unstabe after upgrading to 1.2.8
2019-05-05 13:53:20 - last edited 2019-05-11 11:47:28

Modem - Deco M5 (Router Mode) - 2-Slave Deco

2. The model number of the Deco and the light status when the connection drops out/

Deco M5, All Deco's lights are green when the connection drops out or some devices has a authentification error.

3. If all the devices stops working at the same time? Can you get internet from the modem directly then?

Not all devices. Sometimes A device are disconnected, sometimes B device are disconnected.

4. Please try to disable fast roaming, set QoS as standard and clear all the high priority items to give it a go. 

already disable fast roaming, beam forming, and no high priority device. and I tried power-off cycles also.

Although I don't know why you want my TP-link ID, my ID is *********@**********

Please find a way to retreat my upgrade.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Nodes unstabe after upgrading to 1.2.8
2019-05-07 09:51:15

Hi,

Our engineer will contact you, if you are willing to do further troubleshooting, please notice  your inbox.

NoDoubt wrote

Modem - Deco M5 (Router Mode) - 2-Slave Deco

Deco M5, All Deco's lights are green when the connection drops out or some devices has a authentification error.

Not all devices. Sometimes A device are disconnected, sometimes B device are disconnected.

already disable fast roaming, beam forming, and no high priority device. and I tried power-off cycles also.

Although I don't know why you want my TP-link ID, my ID is nova4her@gmail.com

Please find a way to retreat my upgrade.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Nodes unstabe after upgrading to 1.2.8
2019-05-07 10:12:15 - last edited 2019-05-07 11:32:40

Hi,

I did a "total reset" of everything (see steps below)

Now my network is up again for multiple days without any issues :)

My assumption for possible causes of the issues:

- The update process is not working correct 

- And / Or: "Fast Roaming" /  "Beamforming" is causing issues.

Note: 

After this total reset the open network i had also disappeared.

=============================

What i did:

1) Open the deco app

2) Click on the "Internet" icon (BTW: I doubt all users understand this is clickable)

3) Click the 3 dots

4) Choose: "Delete This Network"

Then:

1) On all nodes do a hardware reset by clicking the reset-button 

2) Do the whole setup process "from scratch"

Once the network is up:

1) Open the deco app: Click on "more" (the 9 blocks in the main navigation bar on the bottom)

2) Click advanced

3) Disable "Fast Roaming"

4) Disable  "Beamforming"

=================================

Feature requests for TP-link:

1) Make it possible to downgrade firmware 
- Altough for now it seems all works fine, I would still prefer to always have the option to downgrade firmware

- A downgrade option would also make me feel a lot safer to update firmware to a newer version

- A downgrade option would also be the fastest way to help customers

2) Don't ask customers to post their email address on the forum

- Show an email address on a internet forum will result in a lot of spam for that user (because it will be harvested by spam bots)

- Showing an email address is not privacy friendly

- > Suggestion: show a customer ID in the app (like: 12345ABCD)

3) Show firmware version of each node / offer self test

- Currently users cannot see if all nodes are updated correct

- Suggestion: make a sort of "test this node" + show the firmware version of each node

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Nodes unstabe after upgrading to 1.2.8
2019-05-09 22:31:48 - last edited 2019-05-09 22:34:04

All seemed stable, but today I got a new issue: I was not able to connect any client to the main unit with wifi anymore: I tried multiple devices, but they all were not getting an ip address. 

On the nodes I was still able to connect with WiFi. 

According to the app all units were working correct, also all leds were green. 

Only after rebooting the main unit I was able to connect with wifi again to the main unit. 

As said: on 1.2.4 I did not have any of these issues. 

Any suggestions? 

Options
2019-05-10 08:27:23 - last edited 2019-05-10 08:29:47

janoosti wrote

My setup

Modem ------->Main Deco

With unstable i mean:

What i tried so far:

- Change locations

- Disable fast roaming

Hi,

Thanks for your valued reply, we have noted that; and glad to hear that it works now. Congrats. 

Regarding to your requests about the downgrade and the email address, we will forward it to our R&D colleagues and will keep it in mind. We will try our best to provide better customer service. 

For the firmware version of each nodes, we can check them already.

Click the internet icon first and then you will see all the nodes. Click each unit and you will find the current firmware version on the bottom.

Regarding to the connection issue, you can disable the wifi password of the main router and then re-enable it to give it a go. 

Besides, you can try to restart the whole system sequently. From the modem to the main unit and to the slave ones. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Nodes unstabe after upgrading to 1.2.8
2019-05-10 17:40:42 - last edited 2019-05-12 11:05:13

Hi Kevin_Z,

I am having the same issue, any way of fixing it without doing a hard reset?

I have Deco M9 +

Edit: I've tried doing a hard reset but it didn't reset the firmware to an older version,

Options
2019-05-12 08:55:11 - last edited 2019-05-12 08:57:35

Why did you have to turn off both beam forming and fast roaming? Was it because of the open network problem? How do you know the open network went away if you disabled fast roaming?

Also I think TP-Link need to check the Data Protection Act and GDPR, it is definitely not a good idea to be asking users to post usernames / email address information

BigE0n
Options