Can set up my TP Link Home Deco M5 as AP to my WIFI network without LAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-09 15:35:03
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a home router (eg, TP Link Archer) giving my home a WIFI network. I just bought my M5 Deco Mesh. Can I just set up my Home Deco M5 all in AP Client mode and be a "repeater", without having any LAN cable to be physically plugged into any of them. If so, where can I find details on how to set it up? 

Also, if I am able to do that, does it mean that I have 2 WIFI network at home? 1 network from the TP Link Archer and the other one from the Mesh WIFI?

And by doing so will I suffer a drop in performance, internet speed? What are the pros and cons of using the (1) TP Link Archer router enchanced with the Mesh network in AP mode vs (2) directly using the Mesh Network only.

Looking forward to have a better understanding. Thanks!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Can set up my TP Link Home Deco M5 as AP to my WIFI network without LAN
2019-05-10 07:55:22

Hi,

You can configure Deco M5 as access point and connect the 2 Deco units via wifi.  Modem--home router--Deco (AP mode) )))(((Deco (Repeater unit). 

The configuration steps are the same, while you need change the operation mode to Access point.

Note: Open Deco app, tab more-advanced-operation mode to change it. 

Then there may 2 networks, one from the home router, the other one from the Deco, while they are still on the same subnet cause the Deco works as an access point. Meanwhile, you can change the wifi name to the same. 

With Deco works as an access point, some advanced features do not work anymore, like parental control, antivirus,speedtest and so on. 

If you wanna use these features, configure Deco M5 as the main router is a good choice; and for the existing home router, you can connect it to the Deco by wifi or by cable to extend the wifi range as well. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Can set up my TP Link Home Deco M5 as AP to my WIFI network without LAN
2019-05-13 12:34:11

Kevin_Z, thank you for your advice. If i were to connect the Router (Archer) to the Deco by LAN cable (with the Deco as the main router), can i configure the Archer to be broadcasting the same wifi network as my Mesh so i don't have to "connect" to another network when i move along the house?

Second question. If i were to do Modem > Archer Router > Deco M5, by changing the wifi name, will i make the Deco network to be the "same" as the network broadcasted by the Acher router, asking for the same reason as I do not want to "connect" to another network when i move along the house. I like the "mesh" style where its all one continous wifi network.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Can set up my TP Link Home Deco M5 as AP to my WIFI network without LAN
2019-05-14 10:25:34

Hi,

You can change the wireless network name to the same under the 2 network scenarios.

Meanwhile, for the seamless roaming, it depends on whether your client devices support this function also.

May it help and have a nice day. 

TPLteo wrote

Kevin_Z, thank you for your advice. If i were to connect the Router (Archer) to the Deco by LAN cable (with the Deco as the main router), can i configure the Archer to be broadcasting the same wifi network as my Mesh so i don't have to "connect" to another network when i move along the house?

Second question. If i were to do Modem > Archer Router > Deco M5, by changing the wifi name, will i make the Deco network to be the "same" as the network broadcasted by the Acher router, asking for the same reason as I do not want to "connect" to another network when i move along the house. I like the "mesh" style where its all one continous wifi network.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Can set up my TP Link Home Deco M5 as AP to my WIFI network without LAN
2021-01-04 16:24:09

I would rather have a hidden SSID on the router, connect decos manually in AP mode with the SSID I configuredon the router, and never worry about any other device accidentally connecting directly to the router WiFi

Options