Deco M4 - Parental controls do not work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-09 22:14:00 - last edited 2019-05-09 22:15:05
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

When I try to pause my sons profile when he’s playing Fortnite on the pc, it simply does not work.

I have associated to his profile, the lan and WiFi MAC address .

The only way to immediately block is activate the time limit. And when I want to give him back access, just remove the time limit again.

What can I do?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco M4 - Parental controls do not work
2019-05-10 08:00:31

Hi,

Below is the instruction to setup the parental control on the Deco products. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1598/

Meanwhile, how did you try to pause your sons profile? 

And what about the current parental control settings? Please show us some screenshots of the settings page. 

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

hxberto wrote

When I try to pause my sons profile when he’s playing Fortnite on the pc, it simply does not work.

I have associated to his profile, the lan and WiFi MAC address .

The only way to immediately block is activate the time limit. And when I want to give him back access, just remove the time limit again.

What can I do?

Options
Re:Re:Deco M4 - Parental controls do not work
2019-06-05 14:56:12 - last edited 2019-06-05 14:57:42

Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

To control the traffic, i go to Parental Controls -> Profiles and i hit the pause button on the name (and like i said, this does not stop internet traffic).

Doesn't this "cut-off" the internet to this profile?

The only restrition i have in place is school days time.

Options
2019-06-06 06:56:10

Thanks for explain.

Please do some tests to locate the issue. 

1. In the Diogo profile, there are 3 devices, when pressing the 'pause’ button, can you still get internet on all these 3 devices? 

2. Please try again to pause when your son is playing Fortnite, and pause when he is just visiting a webpage. 

3. Please check the internet access on your son's PC at different times, especially the time around the bedtime you set. Such as 22:00, 23:30, 6:30, 8:00.

Options
2019-06-10 20:10:17

To manage your expectations about parental controls...

I also used the parental control to restrict the time my son is using the internet for gaming.

In the beginning that worked well, but then he started to use free VPN's to bypass the parental control.

So I started to block these VPN's, and soon I reached some limits related to max blocked sites.

Then he started with something new, he installed a tool to change his MAC address.

By default the DECO accepts every device as long as you have an user name / password. So by using a new MAC address he started to bypass every restriction.

So I started to blank list all these "new" devices.

Then he just retrieved the MAC address of my wife etc. and changed his MAC address to that one.

I have given up. Internet is fully open without any restriction.

Instead we talk... or switch off the internet by disconnecting the main internet cable.

Options
Re:Re:Deco M4 - Parental controls do not work
2019-06-11 07:33:16

Hi,

I have to say your kid is brilliant and did many works to get internet.

For your information, the parental control takes effect based on Mac address; once the mac address changed, it won't work anymore; So does the VPN, the device obtains IP address from the VPN server, not the Deco anymore; 

You can try to recreate the wifi network and password for the Deco wifi, and then the other devices won't be able to connect to the wifi without your permission and password; 

Note: You need ensure that the TP-Link ID password is private, not known by others, otherwise they can get the password via Deco App.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M4 - Parental controls do not work
2019-06-11 09:42:01
A different WIFI password only partly solves the problem. Let me open a different topic.
Options
2020-12-24 13:51:03

@Remmerswaal it sounds like my son and your son when to the same hacker's university.  He has done the MAC address trick, but I can see that. Right now, however, he can still play, fornite websites are blocked and nothing so up on insights. I'm stumped.

Options
2022-01-26 01:56:02
Exactly! We are living the same life!! Worked great at first...
Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 9173

Replies: 8

Related Articles