Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
38 Reply
2020-01-27 15:21:22

@Kevin_Z 

Is there any kind of ETA on when this feature will be applied to the M9 Plus V1?

I specifically bought 3 kits (6x Deco M9) for this applications (guest vlan tagging in AP mesh mode) and I got V1 hardware from the supplier.

And to confirm - the guest vlan tagging is standard as 591? 

as outlined here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2317/

We have some cabling restrictions and using the Deco M9 would make things much easier.

Appreciate your time.

Options
Re:Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?
2020-03-18 12:45:45

@Kevin_Z 

When will this be available for the Deco M4R v2?

Not inlcuding this is just silly.

Options
2020-04-28 04:20:39

@EIBROG Yep - desperately looking for this feature for the m9 plus v2 as well.

Options
2020-06-03 17:15:02

AP Isolation is definitely a must have. Otherwise it doesnot make sense to me to have this option enebled in AP mode. Please make AP isolation possible in Guest network

Options
2020-06-11 15:40:36

@troozers 

Another request for an update as to when we can isolate guest wi-fi from main wi-fi when Deco is in AP mode. 

It's a fantastic system (just set up 3 pack of P9's for testing) and all up and working including FW updates within 30 minutes.

If for example you wanted this system for your house but you also wanted to Airbnb but you had to use AP mode to benefit form from an existing ethernet cable connection run to an outbuilding then you would want the guest ssid to be separated from the main ssid. 

I've just setup two units in my house and then a third unit in the garden cabin which is my home office. In the house I was getting 75mbps (max speed) Wi-Fi which is perfect but the garden cabin is approx 100m away and the built in powerline functionality was only allowing me to get 5mbps in the cabin due to the distance and the state of the electrical wiring. The cabin has a armoured cable running down to it from the house (router) so I switched the Deco to AP mode and voila 75mbps Wi-Fi. 

I enabled & connected to the guest ssid and I could still see everything on the main network so a resounding YES from me if TP link could fix this and isolate guest Wi-Fi from main Wi-Fi when in Access Point mode. 

Other than that ... amazing product. 

Andy

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?
2020-11-27 18:43:55

@Kevin_Z Any word on this update?  I'm looking for this, for my Deco M5.  Thanks!

Options
Re:Re:Re:Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?
2020-12-22 21:00:20 - last edited 2020-12-22 21:02:44

@Kevin_Z , just checking in on when SNMP will be made available.  I have 3 Deco X20s and run Zabbix and would like to poll via SNMP rather than sending requests to see if Port 443 serves up a webpage.  Which, by the way, my browser is indicating the minimum standard is TLS 1.2, and my 3 Deco X20s are still running TLS 1.1 or below.

Options
2021-01-16 22:19:07

Yes, I'm also looking for the VLAN feature.

I bought the M4 because S4 was not available, and I thought M4 was newer and better than M5. Seems I did not do enogh reserach.

In Router-Mode the Guest-WLAN-Isolation might work, but I need to run my 3 M4s in AP-Mode, and I use Ethernet-Backhaul.
So far this works well, and I can also setup the Guest-WLAN.

But when I set the Guest-WLAN to isolated it even isolates it from the internet.

It looks like in AP-Mode the M4s do not send any of the WIFI traffic out to the Ethernet-Ports ... not even with any standard VLAN tag.

When I bought them I did not see that the combination of APMode + Isolated Guest does not really work.

If the APMode-Devices would send the packets form the Isolated Guest Network with VLAN-Tag I could tell my switch to route them only to the port with the internet router.

Do I have to return the M4 and go for M5.

Can M5 do what I want?

Or do I have to go for another brand like Unify ... a friend told me this works beautifully with VLANS.

Options
Related Articles