Tether App cannot connect to TL-WR902AC - Unkown device is shown in the app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-30 12:21:14
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 0.1 v0089.0 Build 170828 Rel.57433n(4555)

Hello,

First of all thank you reading my support request.

Last week I received my TL-WR902AC Travel Router to setup my own WiFi network for the coming summer holidays when I am visiting a vacation bungalow to share the WiFi from the local provider (WISP). I have setup the router already in my own network. It is working fine.

However, when I downloaded TP-Link's Tether App on my iPhone with the latest iOS 12.3.1 for perhaps some faster accessing the WR902AC when I am on vacation it appeared the Tether App does see an unknown device, a TP-Link Router, but without mentioning any device name. When I click on this 'TP-Link router' it says: "This TP-Link devices might not support Tether. To configure and control it you can use the webmanagementpage."

What is going wrong?

- The most recent version of the firmware has been installed. I live in NL that's why I have installed the most recent EU-version of 2017-08-28. However, it appeared this is not the most recent firmware version, because also an US-version is available TL-WR902AC(US)_V3_171229 which is released 2018-03-27. Although I do not think this will solve 'my problem', because it is not mentioned as a bugifx. And I also do not think I can install US-firmware on a EU-device. Right?

- I am connected the WiFi-network of the WR902AC when I try to install and use the Tether App. The App is seeing afterall a TP-Link device, but not mine.

What can I do to connect to the TL-WR902AC in the Tether App?

Thanks in advance.

TL-WR902AC
Options
1 Reply
Re:Tether App cannot connect to TL-WR902AC - Unkown device is shown in the app
2019-05-31 02:28:43

Hi,

Per you see, the TL-WR902AC supports Tether app in regular wireless router mode, and it supports Tether in access point mode. 

https://www.tp-link.com/tether_compatibility_list/

While when it works as a repeater or other operation modes, the 902AC does not support Tether app. that is why you saw an unknown device. 

Considering the 902AC connects to the WISP via wireless, it may work as a repeater/bridge or client, and it does not support Tether.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options