How to run Openvpn server on port 443

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to run Openvpn server on port 443

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
14 Reply
Re:How to run Openvpn server on port 443
2020-02-13 01:10:20

@rrgalvao 

I hope so too. I just got an email back from support:

------------------

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for requesting information about our product.

I have confirmed with senior engineers that we cannot set up TCP443 for the OpenVPN on this router. Normally port 443 is used by HTTPS, to avoid port conflit, our router has set a port range for the OpenVPN.

Actually to connect the OpenVPN, we need to export the config file and the port wont affect that much. If you really need the port to be 443, we can only recommend you to return the device. Sorry for any trouble caused.

Have a nice day.

------------------

It is really dissapointing that the engineering team is unwilling to add the support for it, currently. Customer's want it, but they don't want to spend the effort to make it happen. I'm a software engineer by profession, though I don't know a lot about router firmware, it doesn't seem to me that it would be that hard to add a few configuration check function calls in a couple of locations in the UI to directly verify the configuration stored in memory to see if there was a 443 port conflict in one location or another and bubble up the error or accept and save the setting. I guess it's time to post a review to Amazon if I really do decide to keep it.

Options
2020-02-13 07:05:28
Sorry for the inconveience caused here; due to the limitation of the current firmware, the router cannot satisfy your needs yet; and as our engineer said, it won't affect the performance of the actual router. And we will forward your requests to our product department and they will keep an eye on the similar feedback and work on it then. Wish your kindly understanding and support.
Options
2020-02-14 20:34:18

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for your willingness to pass this request on to your engineering team as that means a lot to me as a customer looking for help, service, and support.

I understand that the performance of the router will not be affected and is not my concern regarding the TCP port 443 issue with OpenVPN.

My background is in software engineering and development and I have managed my home network for years including custom single and double firewall rules and routing. Windows and Linux environments are quite familiar to me and having the ability to SSH into my devices has been very helpful in the past. I would likely be classified as one of your power user types when it comes to custom configurations and setup.

The primary reason I want the ability to set OpenVPN to port 443 TCP is to tunnel past certain firewall rules that other public Wi-Fi’s block. I have run into more than one case, before changing to port 443, where my VPN connection was blocked. For example, when I’m sitting in a hotel and their network admin has decided, for who knows what reason, blocks 1194 or other VPN ports I no longer feel safe to use their network resources. Though this has become rarer, it still happens. As long as I follow their ToU when I connect to their Wi-Fi I feel totally fine with funneling all of my personal traffic through port 443.

The Internet / Web runs on ports 80 and 443, almost no one blocks these two ports outbound which makes them great channels to use for my OpenVPN session. I personally do not host HTTPS traffic from my home network so it makes reasonable sense to me to leverage / repurpose a non-blocked and common port for my own wants and needs.

Options
2020-07-04 21:06:43

@alexgoaga This is a stupid restriction and sad to say it won't be fixed by any "engineers" if you look at the support tp-link has given its users in the past.  Sad.

Options