VR600 v2 keeps crashing/locking up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VR600 v2 keeps crashing/locking up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
29 Reply
Re:VR600 v2 keeps crashing/locking up
2020-03-19 07:26:30

@Marklar_RR 

Hi, what's the light status on the modem when the issue happens? What's the bandwidth( download and upload speed) that you paid?

Please login to the modem's management page, send us the whole screenshot of the Advanced--Status page.

When did you buy this modem and when did the issue happen?

Options
2020-03-19 10:36:12

@Stella.Q 

Hi, when the modem locks up all lights are on, as normal. The bandwith is D/U 40/10Mbps.

I bought the modem 6-7 months ago. Don't remember exactly when this issue happend the first time. I was using it as a router and wifi hotspot with Sky hub as a modem for first 5 months but I switched to ADSL modem mode a few weeks ago and unplugged Sky hub. The crashing issue happened many times while VR600 was in router mode. 

Below is the screenshot of the advanced page. I masked MAC addresses and public IPs.

Options
2020-03-19 21:22:12

@scouk 

long shot here , but the network monitor could be te problem , try to disable it and see if that helps

Options
2020-03-25 10:39:24

It just happened again. What I noticed is that devices that had already estabilished connection with VR600 (both wifi and cable) are still connected to internet. I am writing this post while the modem is down and I can browse internet without any problems. I disconnected WiFi on my mobile phone but it won't reconnect again. I can see my modem's SSID on the list, I guess DHCP is not responding.

As always admin page does not work so cannot check logs.

Options
2020-03-25 11:06:11

@Marklar_RR 

It sounds the same as what happens to mine, however my WiFi connections disconnect, yet my wired connection is still able to use the internet.  I can't get to the router admin page with my wired PC though.  I can still see the wireless SSID but can't connect to it. 

My current thinking is it may be an overheating issue.  Do you use a USB drive in the router USB port?  Try taking it out, for a long time I thought this is the cause but it has done it a few times without a USB drive.  I also use the beta firmware on this page : https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/9rqw1rp3?p=49 EU v2, I think it fixes some android bug.  I use 2.4ghz only and medium transmit power and 20mhz and channel 1, 6 or 11.

After making all these changes I thought it might be fixed but it still does it occasionly after 2 weeks+, I have also raised the router off the table with some rubber feet a few cm's to let air escape.  I found when this problem occurs if I just turn power off for 5-10 seconds and turn back on the problem comes back within 12 hours, but when I unplug fully and wait 5+ mins it lasts a long time before it happens again.  So that's why I'm wondering if it's a heat issue.  I think reducing to medium transmit power did help too.  I tried low but couldn't get a good enough signal, but medium I don't see a lot of difference.

Options
2020-03-25 11:11:07

@ThatTechGuy 

I don't have anything connected to USB port. I aslo thought that overheating might be the reason but when my modem crashed an hour ago it was not hot. It was warm but nothing bad.

Options
2020-03-25 11:21:45

@Marklar_RR 

Yeah mine is never really that hot either.  Just a theory, it's probably more likely some firmware bug crashing some part of the router but not the whole thing.  This is my second router as I sent the first one back to Amazon for the same problem.  They were both V2 which I believe are supposed to have better cooling than V1!  I previously had a Asus DSL-AC88U which was even more trouble than this one, I can't exactly remember how now though!  There isn't much choice for a VDSL/ADSL router these days.

Options
2020-03-29 14:30:01 - last edited 2020-03-29 14:38:42

Do a checklist first,

1 - Check your adsl filters

2 - Check all cables to and from the phone socket to the PC for damage and both for condition and proper insertion

3 - Check how many devices are connected at the same time

4 - Remove one device at a time and see if the fault goes away, this would indicate a problem with a connected device, also when the issue happens check the log file to see what just connected up prior to the fault, this will help id any device that maybe causing the fault,

5 - Factory Reset the router and set up fresh

If all these fail then you may have a bad unit or even a bad line from the cabinet, you should also check the status page on the router as due to current event's isp's are throttling us as demand for internet has surged, most unlikely to be this but if you have a 100MB connection but the router says 30MB you are probably being throttled right now,

There is a fresh FW for the VR600 released a few days ago to address a vunerability, this may help though I suspect it won't.

p.s for those using SKY Sky doesn't like you using a 3rd party router so it's possible they are causing the router to play up to force you to use their unit instead, again only a long shot possibility but stranger things.

Options
2021-01-13 22:13:31 - last edited 2021-01-13 22:25:58

Hi,

I have similar problems with my MR600 4G+ modem/router.

After a few days (last time after one day), maybe, because I enable Traffic Monitor, some of the features crash.

I cannot see any visualization or text-like data of monitored traffic, because this function gets crashed, not even the grafical table can be seen. The turn-on switch always goes back to the 'OFF' position, if I return to that setting.

The device also gets unable to list any clients, no matters, if it is a wired or a wireless client. It can show a number, how many clients are connected, though.

I use the router with an RE200 range extender. In these problematic times also the OneMesh devices (like my RE200) get disappeared from OneMesh menu.

The mentioned problems always appear together. Sometimes they disappear and then they come back. I don't know, why. It is completely random.

I have internet connection even that time, but it is very frustrating. I had to buy such an expensive router just because of gigabit LANs and the 4G+ capability, without any advanced wireless feature. The wifi signal is also quite sh*tty, having internal antennas, only. And I can pick only from four 5 Ghz channels (36, 40, 44, 48), which is also rediculous in this price range.

By now, I thought TP-LINK to be a good brand but as I browsed the forums for answers, I found alot of their products to be providing these kinds of problem. And they don't seem to care about, at all.

I know, many challenges are ahead, like wifi 6 and others, but they shouldn't stop the bugfixing of "older" devices, until they have so much to do with them.

Could anyone manage to solve some kinds of problem, anyway?

Options
Related Articles