Unable to connect to router via OpenVPN - Archer C1200

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-30 19:04:56 - last edited 2020-08-11 11:09:46
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.2 Build 20180118 rel.38979 (EU)

Hi,

I am trying to set up OpenVPN on my router so that I can access my home network/internet while on the go.

I set up DDNS using No-IP and setup OpenVPN. But every time I try to connect via the OpenVPN client from my Mac, PC or iPhone, I am met with the "connection timedout" error. 

I cannot seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. Any help would be much appreciated!

TIA

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Unable to connect to router via OpenVPN - Archer C1200-Solution
2020-08-11 11:09:42 - last edited 2020-08-11 11:09:46

@techfreak200  @SandeepC 

Hello, sorry to hear that you are still encountering an issue with the OpenVPN setup on the C1200.

Please help verify some details and we will try to figure it out:

1. Kindly check the below VPN setup instructions again to confirm all the settings on the C1200 are correct:
How to use OpenVPN to access your home network through the Wi-Fi Routers
BTW, please also provide us your network topology.

2. If the above guide doesn't help, please tell us what is the WAN IP address of the C1200 and it is suggested to configure the DDNS:
How to set up TP-LINK DDNS on TP-Link Wireless Router?

3. Please check the VPN Tunnel: login the web interface, and on the VPN Server-> VPN Connections, we can see the status of the VPN Server, confirm if there is a VPN connection enabled. If not, which means the VPN setup is not successful.

4. Check the Firewall and Anti-Virus software on the server: generally, Windows Firewall would block the packages from the VPN Client, disabling the firewall on Windows PC for "public" and "private" network will be helpful. Windows Firewall is located at "Control panel->System and Security->Windows Firewall/Windows Defender Firewall".

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
24 Reply
Re:Unable to connect to router via OpenVPN - Archer C1200
2019-07-01 02:43:56

Hi,

Do you mean OpenVPN by saying OpenDNS?

Below is the instruction to setup the OpenVPN on the C1200.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1544/ 

Besides, the instruction to setup DDNS is listed below also. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1367/ 

If still the same, please show us a screenshot of the OpenVPN settings page and the error message on your client devices. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Unable to connect to router via OpenVPN - Archer C1200
2019-07-01 05:35:30

Kevin_Z wrote

Hi,

Do you mean OpenVPN by saying OpenDNS?

Below is the instruction to setup the OpenVPN on the C1200.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1544/ 

Besides, the instruction to setup DDNS is listed below also. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1367/ 

If still the same, please show us a screenshot of the OpenVPN settings page and the error message on your client devices. 

Good day. 

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I meant OpenVPN and not OpenDNS. I have edited my original post.

Yes, I have already followed those guides to setup both DDNS and OpenVPN.

So here is an update, I was able to make it work with TCP Protocol, it works flawlessly. I was using UDP protocol earlier, and I could not establish a connection, it would timeout. I wonder what could be going wrong with UDP, since it is the preferred protocol of OpenVPN. Any help would be much appreciated.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Unable to connect to router via OpenVPN - Archer C1200
2019-07-03 07:53:26

Hi,

Our engineer will email you later, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox.

Please wait a while until they reach out to you.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation in advance, and have a nice day 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Unable to connect to router via OpenVPN - Archer C1200
2019-08-20 04:58:37
OpenVPN and UDP. I had difficulties with UDP protocol (but not TCP) both on my Windows computer and my Android Device. I assumed therefore it was the router (Archer C1200). Turns out, there were 2 problems. In windows, the Windows firewall was blocking UDP, so I opened up the firewall inbound rules, and added a rule for my OpenVPN software (openvpn-gui.exe and openvpn.exe) to allow Any Protocol and Any Port & Any Profile. Now my windows computer can access my server, and my Lan devices. On my Android Smart phone, I was trying to use OpenVPN Connect. This also allows a TCP connection but not a UDP connection. I uninstalled that and Installed OpenVPN for Android (by Arne Schwabe at PlayStore). Now my Phone can access my OpenVPN and my Home Lan devices from abroad as well. Support was great from TP-Link - they connected with me on my computer via TeamViewer and together we solved this problem. Georg
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Unable to connect to router via OpenVPN - Archer C1200
2019-08-21 02:31:14

@GeorgS 

Hi, Georg, glad to hear that you figured it out. 

Thanks for your sharing, it will help a lot who have the similiar issue.

If need more help in the future, do not hesitate to contact us. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-03 18:38:06 - last edited 2020-03-03 18:40:47

Hello @Kevin_Z , I have followed the guides above to set up both DDNS & OpenVPN and selected TCP as well. Further, I have installed the OpenVPN app on my iOS & mac devices and imported the .ovpn config file in the app (in iPhone & in Macbook). VPN connects when I'm connected to the router, but it shows a "timeout" error when connected to a different network (remote).

Could you please help?

Options
2020-04-26 07:26:52

Hi @Kevin_Z I have follow all the above tips but in my case it didn't help. I first configured the DDNS as sugested and then followed the steps fro openvpn. I can't connect, it is always timming out no matter if I use UDP or TCP.

Best regards

Options
2020-08-10 18:10:00
I'm also facing the same issue. Have you found a working solution yet?
Options
2020-08-11 07:41:27

@kauffmann same problem unfortunetly, someone have any solution ideas? It would be very much appreciated

Options
Re:Unable to connect to router via OpenVPN - Archer C1200-Solution
2020-08-11 11:09:42 - last edited 2020-08-11 11:09:46

@techfreak200  @SandeepC 

Hello, sorry to hear that you are still encountering an issue with the OpenVPN setup on the C1200.

Please help verify some details and we will try to figure it out:

1. Kindly check the below VPN setup instructions again to confirm all the settings on the C1200 are correct:
How to use OpenVPN to access your home network through the Wi-Fi Routers
BTW, please also provide us your network topology.

2. If the above guide doesn't help, please tell us what is the WAN IP address of the C1200 and it is suggested to configure the DDNS:
How to set up TP-LINK DDNS on TP-Link Wireless Router?

3. Please check the VPN Tunnel: login the web interface, and on the VPN Server-> VPN Connections, we can see the status of the VPN Server, confirm if there is a VPN connection enabled. If not, which means the VPN setup is not successful.

4. Check the Firewall and Anti-Virus software on the server: generally, Windows Firewall would block the packages from the VPN Client, disabling the firewall on Windows PC for "public" and "private" network will be helpful. Windows Firewall is located at "Control panel->System and Security->Windows Firewall/Windows Defender Firewall".

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 20618

Replies: 24