Speed degradation on wired.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-03 09:54:34 - last edited 2019-07-03 09:56:07
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: latest

Hi, 

Ok so it seems that the speed of my Deco's when connected to Ethernet, degrades over time.  To very specific speeds.

example from a fresh reboot of deco (main node, connected to gigabit switch).   internet bandwidth is ~350mbps

less than a day later it drops to ~93mbps.   but only on wired. (have fingbox doing regular speed tests and i test with my main pc which is also wired direct).   doing a bandwidth check from my devices on wireless I'm still seeing about 300mbps.  also speed test from deco itself says 350mbps

I've attempted to reboot the fingbox and PC which are wired, but nothing different happens in terms of speed.  Also restarted the gigabit switch to see if it was relating to that. and no no difference. 

Reboot the deco and speeds immediately go back to what I expect them to be (350ish)

Clearly it is an issue with deco. 

running latest firmware as of today (1.2.8 i think off of the top of my head). 

anyone else seeing this?

help

Options
18 Reply
Re:Speed degradation on wired.
2019-07-04 07:21:30

anyone?

Options
2019-07-04 07:36:29

Hi,

What is the current network topology? 

When the internet speed goes slow down, please disconnect the slave Decos and connect your computer to the main Deco by wired cable and run a speed test.

Note: Please show us a screenshot of the speed test result. 

Meanwhile, please check the wired negotiation speed of your computer at that  time. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

And please try to connect your computer to the front-end device directly and test the actual wired speed you can get.

Besides, have you ever tried to change another wired device or ethernet cable to give it a shot?

Any updates, please let us know. 

Options
Re:Re:Speed degradation on wired.
2019-07-04 07:59:17

as i said, i have 2 wired devices to test with, the fingbox and my pc.  both exhibit the exact same speeds of about 90mbps.  a reboot of the DECO fixes this.  since the connectivity of both of these devices is to the switch, which has been rebooted also in troubleshooting, the negotiation speeds will be to that, and not the deco.   and since rebooting the deco sorts the issue out, albeit temporarily, logic dictates that it wouldn't be anything to do with negotiation speeds or the connectivity to the deco itself. 

the only thing to maybe check would be the negotiation speed of the deco to the switch.  but I also doubt that is the issue too since unplugging/rebooting switch makes no difference.

the link you sent is about wireless signal strength/speeds which is not relavent to this issue since it is purely an issue with ethernet. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Speed degradation on wired.
2019-07-04 08:01:22

as for topology, it is exactly as you would expect.   I have a modem plugging into the deco,   a few wired devices (AV receiver/tv/xbox/pc/fingbox) and a whole bunch of wireless devices connected to any of the 3 decos in the house (although since deco doesn't seem to be able to tell you which is connected to which, which is very annoying as most other mesh systems can!)

Options
2019-07-05 06:50:05

Hi,

Please connect the main Deco to the modem only and then connect the 2 wired devices to the main router indivisually, bypass the switch and test the wired speed you can get. Please show us a screenshot of the speed test results. 

Try to connect your computer to the modem directly to test the speed as well.

Meanwhile, the link I sent is to find wireless negotiation speed, while the steps are the same, you only need to right click local area connection/ethernet connection on your computer to get the wired negotiation speed. 

And you can change another wired cable and another wired device to try again. 

The feature  to tell you which Deco the device is connected to will be added in the next firmware. You can wait for its update. 

Besides, who is your internet service provider and the bandwidth you paid?

Good day. 

thefunkygibbon wrote

as i said, i have 2 wired devices to test with, the fingbox and my pc.  both exhibit the exact same speeds of about 90mbps.  a reboot of the DECO fixes this.  since the connectivity of both of these devices is to the switch, which has been rebooted also in troubleshooting, the negotiation speeds will be to that, and not the deco.   and since rebooting the deco sorts the issue out, albeit temporarily, logic dictates that it wouldn't be anything to do with negotiation speeds or the connectivity to the deco itself. 

the only thing to maybe check would be the negotiation speed of the deco to the switch.  but I also doubt that is the issue too since unplugging/rebooting switch makes no difference.

the link you sent is about wireless signal strength/speeds which is not relavent to this issue since it is purely an issue with ethernet. 

Options
2019-07-05 07:22:32

It's nothing to do with link speeds and where things are connected to,  if you read what i wrote, all of the things I have done have completely proven that to be the case. 

Right, on wednesday I took it upon myself to change the QOS setting to standard (although it already was) and removed all of the high prioirty devices (which the wired devices I am talking about were on there anyway) and set the bandwidth to manually 400/50 as opposed to the 360/30 that was in there from before.   

So far it hasnt gone down to those 90/30 speeds again.   It's only been 2 days nearly so i'm not counting my chickens yet. 

Will keep you up to date. 

As for the firmware update..."next firmware will include this" is all i ever seem to see as a reply from TPLink.  despite the fact that you only seem to release firmware updates rarely.   I was told you were going to sort the Hairpin NAT issue in the next firmware and also the fact you can ping the router from the internet in the next firmware.   these were brought up (by me) over 6 months ago.  Still nothing on either.   So forgive me if I don't take you at your word that this will be a feature in the 'next firmware' 

FYI I'm paying for 350mbps broadband

Options
2019-07-07 11:16:41

They took months to fix a problem which can actually fix in the morning before lunch time, each firmware takes few months to release and just to fix some very minor problems, and soon it become 18 months, and u will see a Deco M5 v3 been introduce, which having EXACTLY same hardware but some problems which should be solve in current version been fixed, and some simple features like Wi-Fi channels selection been finally add, BUT NOT COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT VERSION HARDWARE. TP-Link has done this trick for so long, perhaps they still doing it now, unless someday being sued by FTC to force them release fixes firmware like what D-Link is facing now, so next time take this into account when u r making decision on what to purchase. 

Btw, stop wasting ur time listening to this OFFICIAL REPLY, they r just been hired here to calm u down and taking u running circles, not helping or listening at all, they don’t even read what we wrote properly,  disgraceful.

Options
2019-07-07 19:41:36

wow , really? thats crazy, but not altogether surprising.   I certainly won't be buying TPLink  again nor recommending it to my friends/family/work. 

very disapointing.  I doubt we'll have any kind of official TPLink comment in here from this point. 

Options
2019-07-09 10:37:18 - last edited 2019-07-09 12:15:07

@thefunkygibbon 

We are sorry for the trouble caused here, while we will try our best to help you. 

The most important is to connect the main Deco to the modem only and connect your computer to the main Deco directly to test the speed; whether you have the same issue.

The reason why we suspect that it is the wired negotiation speed which affects the wired speed is that PC get 90Mbps from the Deco by wired cable, and the wireless speed is still normal, about 350Mbps.

Considering the conversion rate between the wired negotiation speed and the actual wired speed is about 90%, we doubt that the wired device get 100Mbps negotiation speed. 

If possible, please check the wired negotiation speed of your PC when the speed slow down to 90Mbps. Below is the instruction:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/ (The steps are the same, you only need click on ethernet connection or local area connection to get it)

Besides, you can try to reboot the device itself to test whether the speed becomes normal. 

Options
2019-07-09 14:02:00

Ok I understand where you are coming from, but I've already told you I have rebooted the switch and the router which would both disconnect and force the links to be reestablished.   only when the deco itself was rebooted does the speeds go back to normal.

Either way, since I have played around with the qos settings the internet connection has remained stable at the max speeds for the last week , so it 'seems' that the issue is related to qos.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3330

Replies: 18

Related Articles