Ethernet backhaul - M5's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ethernet backhaul - M5's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Ethernet backhaul - M5's
Ethernet backhaul - M5's
2019-07-03 13:32:46

Hello everyone, 

And sorry for my english already.

I have read the sticky posts, but am still unsure what/how to do and i am a real newbie

This is about setting up M5's in my home. Thing is, the house is already equipped with a patch panel in the basement and ethernet plugs a bit everywhere in the house. 

I'm trying to setup correctly the ethernet cables, so that the backhaul happens via cable and not wifi.

My chain is : 

Phone line into ISP Modem

Ethernet from modem to switch (the other ethernet in the modem are reserved for IPTV anyways)

Ethernet from switch to the different plugs in the patch panel

So i did setup the first M5 in my living room, plugging the ethernet in the back of the device directly into the wall plug (after checking obviously that it corresponded to the right plug in the patch panel in the basement) - setup went all fine.

Then i went upstairs and first setup the second M5 throug wifi, until it was "all done" and firmware updated etc etc, and then plugged in the ethernet in the back of the device and directly in the wall plug.

Both are now, 2 floors below, plugged from the patch panel into the same switch

Sooooo, is that "ok" ? How do i know if the backhaul is on ethernet and not wifi (ie, that i did not screw it up) ? Should i switch to AP mode somehow? 

thanks for your help !

Options
3 Reply
Re:Ethernet backhaul - M5's
2019-07-04 06:44:32

Hi,

From your description, the current network topology is like: 

Cause the switch and IPTV is connected to the ISP modem both, I'm curious that the ISP modem is a pure modem to synchronize the DSL connection or it is a modem router which we can get internet from it directly?

If it is the latter one, it is suggested to configure the Deco as access point to avoid double NAT issue and create a mesh wifi system.

Otherwise, it is suggested to connect the main Deco to the ISP modem directly and then connect the switch to the Deco by wired cable, other devices can connect to the patch panels or wifi to get internet.

Hope I make myself clear. Nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Ethernet backhaul - M5's
2019-07-04 07:27:40

Hello Kevin

You got it totally right :)

And yes indeed, my "modem" is also a router.

So in my current config, is ethernet overhaul working? (is there actually a way to check that ?)

Problems with your suggestion below (access point) is i understood correctly, some functionalities would be disabled, right? (ie, one of the reasons i took the Deco's besides the 1 SSID, is for parental control (i have 3 kids)) - if that gets disabled, it loses the point ?

Thank you!

Options
Re:Re:Re:Ethernet backhaul - M5's
2019-07-04 07:52:45

Hi,

For ethernet backhaul, you can refer to this thread: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/98898?page=1&t=2019%2F07%2F02%2008%3A17%3A29%20%2B0000 

In your current topology, the ethernet backhaul will work, while the option to find how Decos are connected to each other will be added in next firmware. 

Deco does not support some advanced features in AP mode, below you can get more information about the difference. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2399/

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1608

Replies: 3

Related Articles