TL-WR902AC Travel router Not mounting USB 3.1 flash drive

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-04 03:39:53
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Latest

Using a TL-WR902AC

• I have the following device attached: SANDISK ULTRA FIT CZ430 USB 3.1 256 GB USB FLASH DRIVE
  • I want to share media from the flash drive while in range extender mode. The flash drive is factory formatted fat32.
  • Sometimes I can see it in the device/share setup for the travel router (mount it), but mostly not. It is inconsistent.
  • I don’t seem to have the same problem with a 256gb SSD in an enclosure if I plug that in.

Is there a particular issue with these kind of flash drives? I’m wondering if the factory reformatting of the flash drive is to blame?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Options
6 Reply
UPDATE: TL-WR902AC Travel router Not mounting USB 3.1 flash drive
2019-07-04 23:58:54

Only about 10-20% of the time will the SANDISK ULTRA FIT USB flash drive mount. I managed to get it working occasionally by removing and re-inserting repeatedly until it was registered.

Note: The router ‘green’ light for USB devices always comes on to indicate the flash drive presence, but try it is not appearing in the configuration setting for USB shared volumes.

I have confirmed that another USB devices mounts reliably and appear in the configuration screen without problems every time (ie. a SSD Samsung EVO 840, 250gb).

Options
Re:UPDATE: TL-WR902AC Travel router Not mounting USB 3.1 flash drive
2019-07-05 07:11:35

Hi,

Cause the Samsung SSD can be detected successfully, the USB sharing settings should be fine. 

What is the format of the SSD? Have you ever tried to change the flash drive to this one? 

Meanwhile, with the flash drive plugged into the computer, does it work normally? 

Besides, what is the current network topology? 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:UPDATE: TL-WR902AC Travel router Not mounting USB 3.1 flash drive
2019-07-05 08:14:23

Thanks for your reply.

• The SSD is formatted the same as the Sandisk flash/thumb drive (FAT32 - master boot record)
  • The Sandisk mounts without problem on computer (tried more than one)
  • The Travel Router is configured for wifi extend mode (USB share with media server)

*Note: on the odd occassion the Sandisk did mount I was able to see it as normal over the network and access and play files from it.

(I was hoping for this tiny Sandisk flash drive to be a very lightweight and invisible storage and media serving solution in my travel bag... it almost was)

Options
Re:TL-WR902AC Travel router Not mounting USB 3.1 flash drive
2019-12-16 03:13:33

I would like to add my voice to this issue.  I took a chance on the SanDisk 256GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive - SDCZ430-256G-G46 (as listed) and it's not working on the tl-wr902ac.  I formatted to both FAT32 and NTFS and neither configurations worked for me, the USB drive just would not be detected by the router. 

I happen to have an older Sandisk Cruzer Glide 256GB formatted as NTFS and that is registering on this router just fine.  I was hoping to have a compact solution to share videos while on travel, buyer beware I guess. 

Options
2019-12-17 19:39:21

@echoota regardless, I've been streaming media off the device for 5mths now with Infuse and AppleTV while overseas. I just had to plug it into my landlords router. While not as compact as I had also hoped with the USB thumb drive previously mentionsed, it has nonetheless worked fine with a lightweight (but not as compact SSD). As soon as TPlink address this issue, it would be in my mind worth recommending to travelling friends interested in a super-compact media streaming and storage solution.

Options
2019-12-18 01:32:45

@Andracula Yeah the Cruzer Glide is my alternative.  Slightly chunky but viable.  I honestly think it's the Sandisk Ultra Fit that is at fault.  It's the first USB flash drive that does not work on my computer hub.  It only works when connected directly to USB port on my motherboard.  The Amazon page I purchased it from does not explicitly list that it's backwards compatible with USB 3.0 nor 2.0.  While other similar products from Samsung and PNY do list it....

I did some digging for a manual on the Sandisk and came across data-sheet-ultra-fit-usb-3-1.pdf.  Looks like it claims compatibility with USB 3.0 and 2.0.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2223

Replies: 6