Deco M9 Plus - Slow connection speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-05 23:26:41 - last edited 2019-07-08 16:10:45
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

I recently purchased 2 Deco M9 Plus units after reading many positive reviews about them.

After installing both units I switched them to AP mode and connected all my devices.

Both units are connected directly to my modem/router with an ethernet cable.

The issue is that my desktop reaches 500/40 mbps (also connected to the modem/router) and the Deco only reaches 90/40 mbps.

When I run a speed test on my phone (Galaxy S9+) I am also limited to 90/40 mpbs, even when standing right next to the Deco.

I have tried rebooting both units and they are both on the newest firmware, this speed is unacceptable for such a premium price.

Also, since I have both units connected via an ethernet cable, I hope they aren't trying to connect wirelessly to each other.

What can I do to solve this issue? Also, why are they deployed as routers by default with such limited options?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus - Slow connection speed
2019-07-09 01:04:59

@Codyksp 

So the current topology just like main router --- Deco A/B (AP mode)/desktop; 

Please connect desktop to the Deco directly, desktop---Deco A--main router, and then run the speed test; meanwhile, please check the wired negotiation speed of the desktop. Instruction as below: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/  

Please show us a screenshot of the speed test result as well. 

Meanwhile, with desktop connected to the main router, please repeat the steps above to do a comparison analysis. 

Please change another ethernet cable with better quality, like cat 5e or above to connect the Deco to the main router; 

What is the current hardware and firmware version of Deco M9 plus as well? 

Options
Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus - Slow connection speed
2019-07-09 21:19:24 - last edited 2019-07-09 21:24:38

@Kevin_Z 

After some more testing I seem to have narrowed down the issue to my switch (which I failed to mention).

The router has 3 cables, Deco B, my desktop and a 5 port TP-Link switch.

The switch is a TL-SG1005D, version 5.0. Which is connected to Deco A and some other devices.

For some reason the switch seems to be limiting itself to 100 mbit, even when I connect my desktop.

I disconnected all devices from the switch except the router and Deco A and rebooted it, still 90 mbps down.

It would seem that the switch is defective and not going above 100 mbit, even though it's a gigabit switch.

I will look to replace it, I need to upgrade to an 8 port switch anyway so it's not a big deal.

I assume the Deco has no issues with being connected via a switch and this switch normally manages its speed per port.

Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus - Slow connection speed
2019-07-10 16:48:51

So after replacing the faulty TL-SG1005D with a TL-SG1008D, the issue has been resolved.

Options
2019-07-12 03:07:53

@Codyksp 

Thanks for your valued reply, glad to hear that the issue got fixed finally. 

Wish you enjoy the internet with TP-Link devices now. 

Options
2020-06-22 14:43:49

@Kevin_Z  I am experiencing the same. I have 300mbps bandwidth, but the Deco M9 limits the connection to 70mbps. Please help!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2999

Replies: 5

Related Articles