USB attached drive keeps dropping off until I reboot the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-23 01:48:53 - last edited 2022-06-01 09:37:38
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.4 Build 20180122 rel.42880

I keep having to reboot the router to get the USB drive to show back up on my network.

The USB drive is a WD My Book 1140 3TB

Firmware Version: 3.0.4 Build 20180122 rel.42880 (US)

Is there a firmware update fix perhaps?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:USB attached drive keeps dropping off until I reboot the router-Solution
2021-09-16 15:30:49 - last edited 2021-09-16 15:31:50

@SirDigital I fixed the issue permanetly by pulling the tp-link router out of my house and installing it in the electronic recycling bin (aka trashed it). I now have 3 Linksys EA6900 routers setup with after market firmware (which you can't install 3rd party firmware on a tp-link Acher C1200) that lets me run them in AiMesh mode. Best $90 (yes your read that right, $90 for all 3 on fleebay) that I spent on routers that actually work and I have not had one single issue with the attached WD My Book 3TB drive dropping off at all. It does not look like tp-link has any plans to fix this issue probably because most users out there don't even know about the USB features or care about them so my suggestion to anyone reading this thread is to pass this POS router off to a family member or friend that justs need a WiFi router and does'nt even know what a USB attached drive means. Go get yourself a Asus or Linksys or just about anything else but a tp-link and you should have much better luck with USB attached storage like I have tested and proven that is can indeed work on another brand router.

I wish I had better news to all those searching for a fix and coming across this thread hoping to find a fix from TP-LINK.

Best of luck and stay thirsty my friends! 

Recommended Solution
Options
59 Reply
Re:USB attached drive keeps dropping off until I reboot the router
2019-07-23 02:36:01

@SirDigital 

What do you mean the USB attached drive keeps dropping off? Like it keeps showing unrecognized by the router and you need reboot the router to make it work again? 

With the USB drive plugged into the computer directly, does it work properly? 

Is there any external power supply needed? 

NTFS and FAT32 format types are recommended, you can try to format the USB drive and give it a go. 

Do you have any other USB drive can be used to do a comparison test? Does it work well? 

Options
2019-07-23 12:39:17

By "Dorpping off" I mean it is no longer accessable by any computer or device on the network, It is unreachable. It works fine when plugged into my computer. I also have a Seagate 5TB drive and it also will disconnect from the network when plugged into the Router. Will do more testing and see if I can provide anymore information for you. 

Options
Re:Re:USB attached drive keeps dropping off until I reboot the router
2019-07-24 06:55:45

@SirDigital 

Is it still detected by the router even though it is unaccessable? Can you see it on the web UI of the main router? 

How did you access it? Please show us a screenshot of the picture. 

Try to format the HDD and give it a go, NTFS and FAT32 format are recommended. 

Besides, is it the first time you use this HDD with the Archer C1200? Have you ever tried to use another HDD with less capacity to do a comparison test? 

Options
2020-04-27 08:29:53

@Kevin_Z 

I also have same issues with 1 month old ax11000.

My external HDD is connected to router, scanned USB on router webpage and set up properly.

Once in a while, router just loses connection to USB drive. And even I try rescanning, it doesn't find any.

Only way to bring it back on is by restarting the router OR by restarting/unplugging the hard drive.

My external HDD is set as NTFS, has its own ac adapter.

Ur support will be very appreciated....

It is pretty bad issue cause it looks like I have reach out to router and do this fix manually.

Options
2020-09-29 13:10:39

@Mrim Having same issue on a C4000 router.  It loses the USN drive connection.  Disconnecting & reconnecting restores the USB drive, as does just going to the router setup and rescanning.  The drive is shown even without re-scanning.  I get a few days between drops.  I suspected my Seagate external drive (with external power source) so bought a new WD (also with external power source).  I have automated backups written to this drive, so dropouts are unacceptable.  My previous C8 router did not have these issues.  If I don't get some indication that a fix will be found, I will be forced to rma.  Otherwise it is  a truly rock solid router with good range.   I have not tried the USB2 port.  I don't think I should need to live with the lower speed port.   I paid for USB3.

Options
2020-09-29 13:20:48

@don54321 Yes, mine also can be rescanned and then I can access it again. Seems to be a common problem with tp-link routers. Not sure why they didn't fix it on the last firmware update. 

Options
2020-11-29 02:17:27

@SirDigital 

I have C4000 and am having the same exact issue.  Any resolutions yet?

Options
2020-11-29 16:03:36

Unless tp-link fixes the firmware I do not think we will be seeing this fixed. Most likely not a lot of users use this feature on the router so I am sure it is not a high priority for them. 

Options
2020-11-30 05:43:38

@Akore  

Hello, do you have the same issue with the USB sharing function of the TP-Link device? May I know its model number?

Please refer to my previous suggestions and help co the basic info, we will ask our engineer to further investigate then, thanks a lot.

Options
2020-11-30 13:38:01

@Kevin_Z 

Model: Archer C1200

Hardware Version: V3

Firmware Version: 3.0.6 Build 20200401 rel.71690

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 10375

Replies: 59