USB attached drive keeps dropping off until I reboot the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

USB attached drive keeps dropping off until I reboot the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
59 Reply
Re:USB attached drive keeps dropping off until I reboot the router
2020-11-30 15:47:16

I have been experiencing the same issue recently. It worked fine for a couple of months and then started to lose the USB HDD drive connection. I do a refresh and can then once again access it until the next loss (which can be sevreal hours to a couple of days).

HDD: WD My Book 8TB WDBBG

Router: Archer AX11000 V1.0

Firmware: 1.1.1 Build 20200716 rel.84595(5553)

Options
2020-11-30 16:45:21

I have an AX3200 I picked up at Costco. I am going to try and see if the problem still persists...

Options
2020-12-01 02:54:39

@Akore 

Is it still detected by the router even though it is inaccessible? Can you see it on the web UI of the main router? 

How did you access it? Please show us a screenshot of the picture. 

Try to format the HDD and give it a go, NTFS and FAT32 format are recommended. 

Besides, is it the first time you use this HDD with the Archer C1200? Have you ever tried to use another HDD with less capacity to do a comparison test? 

Options
2020-12-01 03:01:15
Is it still detected by the router even though it is inaccessible? Yes Can you see it on the web UI of the main router? Yes How did you access it? I mapped the drive in windows network When I enable FTP access, FTP access through windows is always available even when network access to the drive is not available. The issue is not with the drive, the format, or the size. Multiple people are experiencing the same thing, all with different setups.
Options
2020-12-01 03:11:20

@Paullar 

Hi, thanks for the detailed info. Is the WD My Book 8 TB WDBBG a NTFS format? Is it plugged into the USB-C or USB-A port?

When you mean you need to refresh then access it until the next loss, did it just disappear without any operation? If possible, we hope you could try with another HDD or USB drive to monitor this, we will also test it in our lab ASAP.

Options
2020-12-01 03:18:23

@jeffreytp 

Hello, thanks for the follow-up. Can I just confirm you are using the AX3200?

Please kindly help confirm the USB or HDD you have tested on the AX3200, what is the format and is it plugged into the USB2.0 or USB3.0? We will also test this if possible.

Options
2020-12-01 03:57:48 - last edited 2020-12-01 03:59:16

@Kevin_Z

I have experienced the same thing with the C4000. I have not tried the AX3200 yet.

Is the software/firmware the same for the C4000 & AX3200?

When you mean, you need to refresh then access it until the next loss, did it just disappear without any operation?

NO. In all my cases, the drive was in-use. I was in the middle of searching the drive trying to access files or was in the middle of accessing files or backing up files and then an unexpected disconnect. If I go into the router UI through web browser, the drives are there. I remove them, then scan and re add them, then 1 minute later, the drives are accessible again through windows. I have connected to USB 2 and USB 3. Same issue. I am thinking maybe the memory in the router or CPU in the router is getting maxed out? The firmware software should be able to handle this if this is the issue.

My Drives are NTFS. Seagate 8TD drives.

Options
2020-12-01 04:16:16

@Kevin_Z 

Hey Kevin,

Yes it is formatted NTFS and is plugged into the USB 3.0 not the USB-C port. 

You can see the drive as it is normally in the shot below. When it drops it there is no drive present in the UI . However when I hit the Refresh the drive reappears. I have another drive which I will test ASAP as you requested and will let you know what happens. I have to give it a few days once it is connected as the loss can occur within hours or  2-3 days.

Options
2020-12-01 05:18:11

@Paullar 

Thank you very much for the quick reply and detailed info. Please do let me know if there is any update.

BTW, I will email you to follow it up, please check your email box and confirm, thanks.

Options
2020-12-01 12:20:29

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the quick turn around. Yes I received the email.

Some additional information which may be helpful: I have 2 laptops which are running Acronis True Image 2021 backup software nightly. One backup starts at 12:01 AM and the second at 03:00 AM. I have attached a copy of the AX11000 system log where you can see the USB Share performed a Stop/Start at 12:01:27. Now the AX11000 UI USB Status this morning when I checked showed No Device. So I relogged into the UI and it then shwowed the USB drive in the results. However, as you can see from my second attachment Windows 10 still cannot see the device. This remains true until I refresh the USB dirve in the AX11000 UI. Then Windows 10 can see the drive once again.

Options