USB attached drive keeps dropping off until I reboot the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

USB attached drive keeps dropping off until I reboot the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
59 Reply
Re:USB attached drive keeps dropping off until I reboot the router
2020-12-01 14:44:26

@Paullar 

Thank you for laying out these details. I have the EXACT same scenario to the T.  I am on the C4000.

Options
2020-12-01 14:56:05

@Kevin_Z  Yes and yes. I have to rescan the drive under the advance tab to get it to work again like most others on here. I have already tried all suggested fixes and nothing will keep it online, only a rescan of the drive will get it to come back online.And yes I have tried serveral drives of smaller capacitity. All drives work fine with other NAS devices, it is only when connected to the TP-Link router that they start to have issues and need the re-scan to get it to come back online. There does not seem to be and set time amount that this happens, could be a day, could be few days... but it will go off line and until I re-scan the drive it will not come back up on its own. 

Options
2020-12-01 19:32:05

...and many times, like right, now as I type, trying to login to the online UI is unsuccessful.  I now manually have to turn on/off the router in order to gain access to the UI.  All this because I initiated a backup from my local computer to a drive connected to the router using iDrive.com which I have installed on my computer. Sometimes the drives drop off like right now, other times, it goes through.  very frustrating and unless this gets resolved very soon, I will be changing brands.  Netgear is out of the question. Their setup can't hold a wifii connection.

Options
2020-12-02 01:01:44

@Paullar 

Thank you very much for all the detailed info and testing, our engineers will investigate this issue and they will contact you ASAP, please keep in touch with them directly via email.

Options
2020-12-02 01:06:48

@Akore 

I see, we will email you as well to follow it up, please check your email box and respond, thanks.

Options
2020-12-02 01:15:04 - last edited 2020-12-02 01:17:01

@Kevin_Z

Model: Archer C4000
Hardware Version: v3.0
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.13901(5553)

Options
2020-12-02 01:17:07

@jeffreytp 

Thank you, this is also escalated to the engineers, they will try the best to help you out, please check your email box and respond, thanks.

Options
2020-12-03 01:41:25

Same behaviour for me with a 4tb external seagate

Archer AX50 v1.0 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037(5553)

Options
2020-12-03 03:26:40

@jsphoto 

Please describe your issue in more details, such as how do you use the 4tb external Seagate via the AX50, via SMB or FTP?

Ensure this 4tb external Seagate is working stably when you plug it directly into one of your computer.

How often did this disconnect happen when you try to access it, how did you recover it?

Options
2020-12-03 15:18:01

@Kevin_Z 

The HD is a Segate "Expansion" 4TB USB 3.0 external drive without separate power source.

It is plugged into the USB port on the back of the router.

Using TP-link's admin interface, I set up the drive for windows-sharing, and access through my PC.

Access works fine through windows SMB via \\TP-Share\ or mapped to a drive letter.

I can also access through local FTP.

After a few hours, waking up the computer the network location is not accessible. This behaviour is consistent.

To recover, need to launch the TP-link interface and re-scan & hit save on the drive share.

Thanks for looking into this

Options