TL-WA860RE Fail to assign main router IP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-23 12:43:19
Model: TL-WA860RE  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20181108 rel.57335(6985)

Hello everyone. 

I purchased two of these TL-WA860RE Range Extenders. I set it up as range extender and used it fine for a while. Now however I'm having issues on both of them. Even though I run the set up from the scratch and set it up as range extender when a device connects to it WA860RE assigns its own IP from its own DHCP server not obtaining IP's from my router. It doesn't matter if I reset the devices it still does the same thing.  

Options
7 Reply
Re:TL-WA860RE Fail to assign main router IP
2019-07-24 02:57:10

@Avangerx 

What is the led status of the 2 extenders?

Click here to watch the setup video, or you can click the faq to configure it per instruction. 

Note: Please use the main router's wifi password to configure the TL-WA860RE. 

Besides, cause there are 2 extenders, due to potential conflict, it is suggested to give them different wifi names. 

Options
Re:Re:TL-WA860RE Fail to assign main router IP
2019-07-24 03:33:46

1. 2 extender Led's are green, both extenders got different names one is bedroom one is livingroom. 

2. I set it up ok - Plug it in on the wall, wait until the led in the bottom is green, hook up a laptop with an ethernet cable, disable the wifi on the laptop, I go 192.168.0.254 and the TPLink setup screen comes up, I chose easy setup, it searches the wifi, finds them, I chose my router's wifi, enter its pasword, set it up as an extender with same wifi name, it goes through the set up process and in the end it finishes. I disconnect the ethernet cable, enable the wifi, find my SS ID (noticing that the signal is strong now), connect to it and it says Limited Connection the INTERNET is not available. 

I troubleshoot more and on the laptop I check the IP address it gets and I see that it is getting the IP from extender's DHCP which is 192.168.0.x (192.168.0.101 in my case) but my modem on 192.168.1.x network and it's supposed to get an ip from that network from the DHCP on my main router. It should disable its own DHCP once set it up as an extender. 

In order to bypass it I had to disable the DHCP on the extenders. it works but they are still having problems registering new devices.

When I register a new device, an iphone or ipad, laptop etc.,  I have to go where the main router is and the device connects to that router's wifi then I can walk around the place and the extender works but again if I try to register a device where the main router's signal is weak and the extender is in place then it won't register it. It says no internet connection and stucks there... 

Options
Re:Re:Re:TL-WA860RE Fail to assign main router IP
2019-07-25 05:39:13

@Avangerx 

Please login to the web interface and update the firmware to the latest one. Below is the download link. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-wa860re/#Firmware

Click here to get how to update the firmware. 

After that, please reconfigure the 860RE and give it a go. 

If still the same, please show us a screenshot of the status page of the extender; and send us the system log for further analysis.

Besides, it is suggested to locate the extender in the half way between the main router and wifi dead zone, keeping it gets good wifi signal from the main router. 

What is the model number of the main router as well? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:TL-WA860RE Fail to assign main router IP
2019-08-06 06:12:13 - last edited 2019-08-06 06:45:10

I'm sorry I was on vacation and I didn't have a chance to troubleshoot it. Today I tried to upgrade the firmware that you posted here and I did it successfully. After the firmware upgrade, I run the initial set up. This new firmware doesn't do the same SSID setup it might be due to the similar problems that I have been experiencing with it by the other customers. After the upgrade, It finished the setup but it set it up with a different SSID with the same password and it works just fine. The main reason I purchased this unit is to be able to use the same SSID when I go to the areas with weak signal points at home so it defies the purpose here but I can live with it if there is no way of setting it up with the same SSID I will use it as is. I will look into the settings to see if I can be able to set it up with the same SSID as an extender. Thank you so much for your interest. 

The main router I have is Huawei HG255s which was provided by my fiber ISP. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:TL-WA860RE Fail to assign main router IP
2019-08-07 01:27:28

@Avangerx 

Thanks for your reply, first it is glad to hear that it works well.

For the SSID issue, we can customize it manually. If you want to use the same SSID as the main router, when you start the initial setup, you can change the wifi name;

Now you can use the Tether app to change the wifi name if the TL-WA860RE supports, or you can login to the web UI to change it.

Best regards. 

Options
Re:TL-WA860RE Fail to assign main router IP
2019-08-07 03:15:53

Can’t connect wifi 

Options
Re:Re:TL-WA860RE Fail to assign main router IP
2019-08-07 06:04:48

@Susu 

What is the model number of your device?

Please provide more information so that we can give you a specific answer. 

Best regards. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2207

Replies: 7

Related Articles