RE450 V2.0 DHCP Server so slow and unreliable that it has to be turned off manually from auto

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE450 V2.0 DHCP Server so slow and unreliable that it has to be turned off manually from auto

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-25 22:56:49
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20171220 Rel. 73615

So i recently have bought a RE450, V2.0, AC1750. I have noticed a few problems with it unfortunately. So, the DHCP Server for the range extender mode is really unreliable, this is as a result of either: newly connected device cannot access the internet even after 1 mins of being connected to the extender (as the auto option uses by default 1 mins ip lease times). After looking in logs, it shows that DHCP Failed thus the device won't be able to connect to tghe internet until it re-connects with the network; Newly or previously connected devices cannot connect to the internet as a result of the DHCP Timeout Error. This is annoying for i have to turn the DHCP server off manually for anything to really work through either connecting to the Back-end wireless STA or through connecting to the Front-end.

I have rebooted both my router and repeater but every attempt at this has lead me to no successful conclusions. This is why i am writing about this problem to the community to hopefully find some answers or get a new update to be rolled out sometime soon to fix this.

(Also whenever the repeater is set a static IP address on the router and repeater, regardless if the DHCP server is on or not it still doesn't solve the DHCP situation, in status, it shows that the internet status is unknown and only when IP Address for repeater is static. When the IP address is static forthe extender, it works as well as when it is dynamic but i like to keep it static for the ease of access it provideswhen using a computer to access the admin page or a phone)

If you notice any possible errors in the text please reply telling me what i've got wrong. It's 23:52 (11.52pm) so i'm just a tired geek sitting at the computer writing this out of annoance for how this thing does not want to reliably work with DHCP turned 'On' or on 'Auto' mode (Not access point but range extender DHCP server).I have another extender and it's the RE210 and it works fine with a DHCP server whilst the router has the DHCP server turned on aswell but not the RE450. I use a standard 2018-2019 vodafone router if anyone wants to know (More details? Just ask)

-Jakub S
Options
6 Reply
Re:RE450 V2.0 DHCP Server so slow and unreliable that it has to be turned off manually from auto
2019-07-25 22:57:08
Sorry for long post!
-Jakub S
Options
Re:RE450 V2.0 DHCP Server so slow and unreliable that it has to be turned off manually from auto
2019-07-26 06:06:17

@Jakub_S 

1. Try to disable the DHCP server and setup a static IP for the RE450. Please ensure that the static IP is in the same subnet of the main router. 

2. If still the same, for the newly devices which have connected to the extender but no internet, please click here to check its IP address and gateway. 

3. Then please login to the web UI of the RE450 and show us a screenshot of the status page. And go to settings-system tools-system log to save log and send the txt file to us. 

4. Meanwhile, check whether there is firmware available for the main router to update. 

Options
Re:Re:RE450 V2.0 DHCP Server so slow and unreliable that it has to be turned off manually from auto
2019-07-26 13:42:02
Ok, will do. BTW, it is on the latest firmware. I have also spoken to a team member as this is a bug. My RE210 has DHCP on Auto but it doesn't use it whilst the Re450 has it set to Auto but it is always on with Auto turned on.
-Jakub S
Options
Re:Re:RE450 V2.0 DHCP Server so slow and unreliable that it has to be turned off manually from auto
2019-07-26 13:43:14
Currently traveling so unable to access the extender.
-Jakub S
Options
Re:Re:Re:RE450 V2.0 DHCP Server so slow and unreliable that it has to be turned off manually from auto
2019-07-30 06:28:51

@Jakub_S 

Please take your time to do the test once you are available, any updates, just let us know. 

Have a good trip. 

Options
2019-10-06 08:08:47

@Jakub_S 

My experience is similar.  I have both the RE305 and the RE450. They exhibit the same behavior.  If I set them up using the tether app, neither of them work at all.  I have to go into the web interfaces for both, set a static IP for Network Settings (IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway), then allow the repeater to assign an IP via DHCP. The setting is set to ON. Which I am assuming is working as a relay.  If I set to auto, it doesn't work at all. 

Setting them up as I have outlined above still results in an Uknown internet status, even though devices can connect to it and also connect to the internet.  Of course the connection is terrible. Both repeaters are so flakey and unreliable that I'm not sure why any of these products were even released to the public.  Even if they are next to the router, the connection is terrible.  I'm guessing these are just poorly engineered products with really bad software. After having 2 of them, I can say you should probably stay away from TP-Link repeaters.  On another note, I have TP link smart dimmer switch that works just fine. Go figure.

I have an Asus RT-AC5300. No other devices, and I have about 40 in my house, have any issues like this. Just these repeaters. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4757

Replies: 6