Archer C5400 Connection randomly restarts or turns off during Blizzard games

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-27 01:33:23
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20170912 rel.56240(5553)

I just bought this router and have been having particular issues with the connection either restarting or turning off - this appears to primarily, if only, impact my Blizzard Game Launcher / games (it will disconnect me from games). Dropouts appear to range from a few minutes to up to 30-40min gametime before being disconnected. I don't appear to have issues with other internet usage. 

This appears to have only started upon using this router as when I plug in my old one (the one received from my ISP) the connection remains true through while gaming.

I'm loath do it it, because the wifi range gained from the C5400 has been awesome in the week since purchasing it, but among its primary reasons for being purchased was to assist in my gaming experience yet now it is hamstringing it completely and if it can't do that then I'll just have to return it.

Options
22 Reply
Re:Archer C5400 Connection randomly restarts or turns off during Blizzard games
2019-09-13 06:33:41

I'm having exactly the same problem.  I have an Archer C5400 v2 and it seems fine for everything except it's disconnnecting / dropping its connection to Blizzard servers.

I can have 3 computers all connected to Blizzard at the same time and all three will randomly disconnect (but not at the same time). 

It would be good if there was some support looking into this issue.

Options
2019-10-06 09:20:04

Same issue here. Even had a replacement and still the same. 

Firmware update needed

Options
2019-10-31 00:31:37

@Gwalle any response from TP-LINK support on this issue?

Options
2019-10-31 07:38:37

Nope - in the end I'm just setting up as follows:

Modem --> ethernet --> Router (provided by ISP) --> ethernet --> C5400 as access point

This seems to resolve any issues and doesn't appear to hamper speeds... it is annoying I have to use two routers but at least the speeds and 5ghz capabilities are much better than without it.

Options
2019-10-31 08:52:37

Hi all,

Sorry to respond late; we missed this post accidently.

You can try to disable homecare and then test the performance. 

To disable the homecare feature, you need install the firmware below first. 

http://support.tp-link.com/f/de61a72714/?dl=1

For the instruction to upgrade the firmware, you can refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1369/

Any updates, please let us know. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-01-01 19:55:51

@Kevin_Z 

Hi mate I've got the same problem with the restarting when playing fortnite

Mine is 5400 v2.1 router

Cheers

Options
2020-01-02 09:20:29

@Vortex690 

Hello, may I know what is the current firmware version? You can find it on the web UI.

Besides, please tell us the country version of the C5400 which is printed on the back label, next to the model number.

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-01-02 15:19:42

@Kevin_Z 

Hey Mate

Its Version 1.2.5 US Version Im in Australia Bought The Unit From MWave

I was connected with live chat yesterday for over 2 hours trying to get help and all they said was return it under warrenty and press reset button

They Created A RMA Request Should I Hold Off On That ?? Im supposed to visit the shop in about 8 Hours 

After I Pressed Reset It Still Restarted Itself While I Was Gaming

Cheers

Options
2020-04-07 22:55:07

@Vortex690 

I've seen a few places where this issue has been reported. So I'm posting my solution here, as it's super annoying. 

I first tried sorting this out with tp-link tech support, but that was unsuccessful.

In the end I found what worked and I get no disconnects at all now is to go into QoS setting and change every PC, NAS, Chromecast etc to a high priority device.
The only things I left at defualt were very low bandwidth devices, such as Smart bulbs, smart power boards etc.

Try that, I'm pretty sure this will sort out your issues

Options
2020-04-18 21:39:07

Hi Everyone

I am having the exact same issue. 

Model: Archer C5400X(EU) Ver 1.0

Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20191223 rel.73956(4555)  -  Updated via cloud service.

Hardware Version: ArcherC5400X v1.0

I have replaced the original power cord going into the 12V adapter, and changed the power outlet the adapter is plugged into. No matter what variation, the power supply does not seem to be the issue.

I have a lot of devices on this router, many of them are smart home switches and such. 

I use it extensively for everything and it never does this reboot thing until I actually launch Battle.Net and play WoW. Have not tested it with other Blizzard games extensively but the main trigger factor seems to be gaming on Blizzard servers.

I have disabled HomeCare (ie. The firewall, intrusion prevention, and malware protection are off).

There is no option to disable QoS entirely, but I have tried:

1) Turning off Application priority

2) On device priority, I have set all my devices to High. I have also tried only setting my gaming computer to High, or setting all my higher bandwidth devices to High. I have also tried with no devices set to High - no combination makes a difference.

Since this is the latest firmware available, unless there is a version that I cannot find that I should download manually.

Please - this issue seems to have been around for a while now. How can I fix this?

To be 100% clear I have only seen this happening when gaming - no other network use, even intensive, causes the reboot.

I do notice that when it reboots itself like this, the system log seems to get lost or bug out and the only entries I can then see are dated 2019-12-23. I suspect those entries are perhaps from the last time I had upgraded the firmware, but can't be sure. It's weird that normal reboots retain the system log in tact but this seems to wipe it.

Please advise - do I need to go as far as requesting a hardware replacement?

Thank you!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5599

Replies: 22

Related Articles