Best way to extend my Deco coverage to the external garage.......help please

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-30 18:23:55 - last edited 2019-07-31 02:07:22
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all, 

I have a Deco M5 Whole Home setup, which is the main unit connected to our Sky router and then two other M5 units around the house. Everything works fine, no issues. 

I have an detached garage that I use as a gym, its too far from the house to pick up the signal from the current Deco system. Putting another booster outside to bridge the gap is not practical. 

I’m going to have an Ethernet cable run through the garden directly into the garage, so getting the signal in there is no problem. My question is, what is the correct bit of kit for me to buy to so I can then connect to the network in the garage? 

If I buy an extra Deco M5 extender should the Ethernet run from my Sky router to the new M5 unit, or should it run from the current main M5 unit I have to the new M5 unit? 

Or, should I just get a different kind of Deco unit that will create a new network for use in the garage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Ben 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Best way to extend my Deco coverage to the external garage.......help please
2019-07-31 05:41:39

@Ben316 

Hi Ben, how far away between the main house and the garage? Are they running under the same power circuit? 

If so, there is a network expansion device, which is called powerline adapters can be used to extend wifi range. just like ISP router ---Deco M5--powerline adapter A--Powerline adapter B.

Note: The 2 powerline adapters will connect to each other via power line. 

While if the powerline environment is complicated, the performance will be affected a lot.

For your own proposal, you can add a new Deco into the existing network, and we do not have to connect it to the Sky router directly, instead, the Deco units can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless to extend the wifi range. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Best way to extend my Deco coverage to the external garage.......help please
2019-07-31 07:57:24

Hi Kevin, 

Thanks for the response. 

The garage is on a a different circuit to the house. Does that change things? 

Thanks again, 

Ben 

Kevin_Z wrote

@Ben316 

Hi Ben, how far away between the main house and the garage? Are they running under the same power circuit? 

If so, there is a network expansion device, which is called powerline adapters can be used to extend wifi range. just like ISP router ---Deco M5--powerline adapter A--Powerline adapter B.

Note: The 2 powerline adapters will connect to each other via power line. 

While if the powerline environment is complicated, the performance will be affected a lot.

For your own proposal, you can add a new Deco into the existing network, and we do not have to connect it to the Sky router directly, instead, the Deco units can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless to extend the wifi range. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Best way to extend my Deco coverage to the external garage.......help please
2019-07-31 08:06:40

@Ben316 

Yes, Cause the adapters communicate with each other via the power line, the different circuit will affect the performance of the powerline adapters. 

Due to the potential loss, it is not suggested to use powerline adapters. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Best way to extend my Deco coverage to the external garage.......help please
2019-07-31 20:54:26

I have a similar set up...

I have a set of 3 M5s around the house, and a TPLink Powerline unit plugged into the ethernet socket on the main M5. This is the correct side of the consumer unit...

At the other end in my shed, I have another Tplink powerline unit which receives the signal (It's effectively a branch circuit off the main power feed with its own personal consumer unit... and another M5 plugged into it to get wifi.

It's not perfect, but I still get a GB of bandwidth back to my main house (NAS, Sky box etc) without running a physical ethernet cable... its fast enough for me, and as I had the Powerline adaptors from a previous experiment, its a low cost solution than trying to get a 40m ethernet cable slung...

Options
Re:Re:Best way to extend my Deco coverage to the external garage.......help please
2019-07-31 21:00:18

Hi, 

Thanks, that’s helpful. That’s probabkh the way I’ll go and see how I get on. 

Thanks again. 

Options
2019-08-01 07:31:10

@Iconic 

Thanks for your sharing. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Best way to extend my Deco coverage to the external garage.......help please
2019-08-01 07:32:49

@Ben316 

You can give it a go, while please notice that the powerline environment is important which will affect the performance of the powerline adapters. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8689

Replies: 7