Archer A7 Password not working after firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-02 03:22:28 - last edited 2020-07-13 03:06:47
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.10 Build 20190517 rel.65170

I just upgraded the firmware on my AC1750. Now the password doesn't work. It was working immediately before the upgrade.

Luckily I could login with the TP-link account option. Now it won't let me change the admin password because it doesn't recognize the old password.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer A7 Password not working after firmware update-Solution
2020-07-10 23:46:02 - last edited 2020-07-13 03:06:47

@JB12 I finally figured out the problem!!  When you update the router (not sure which version this starts but I upgraded to 1.0.14 and this happened), it cuts your password to 15 characters.  Meaning, if your password was longer than 15 characters, your new password is the old password up to the 15th character.  So no need to make a tp-link account!  Just log in with the new 15 character password and change it to whatever you want.  You are able to use more characters when you change the password (not sure what the limit is though).  That is one odd bug.  Hope this helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer A7 Password not working after firmware update
2019-08-02 06:13:17

@JB12 

Do you use the TP-Link cloud account to access the web UI of the A7? If so, the default login password "admin" won't work anymore;

Once you bound the Archer C7 with your TP-Link ID, you need use this account to access the web UI. 

If you want to change the password, you need change the TP-Link account password. 

Options
2019-09-23 01:33:25

@JB12 

Same exact problem.  Looks like a bug in the upgrade.  I would advise against upgrading the A7 until a patch is issued.  Unfortunately I didn't have a tplink account configured...  Time to wipe the configs for me.

Options
2019-09-23 01:50:32

@JB12 

Nevermind, just piss poor design.  You must have a tp-link account bound to the router after the firmware upgrade.  The work around is to create a user ID then log in to the router with it.  Once you have done that it will prompt for the router password.  This is the same password that was not working.... except now it works but only to bind the password to the tp-link ID.  Once your id is bound to the router you can log in again.  No need to wipe your config just bad UI design.

Options
2019-12-25 19:46:48 - last edited 2019-12-25 19:47:36

artscreenname wrote

@JB12 

Nevermind, just piss poor design.  You must have a tp-link account bound to the router after the firmware upgrade.  The work around is to create a user ID then log in to the router with it.  Once you have done that it will prompt for the router password.  This is the same password that was not working.... except now it works but only to bind the password to the tp-link ID.  Once your id is bound to the router you can log in again.  No need to wipe your config just bad UI design.

THIS worked perfectly!

I agree, it is VERY bad design.  I did exactly what you said and it worked great!

Thank you!

Options
2019-12-28 21:10:16

@JB12 

What if I already have a TP account and the router binded? 

I go into the stupid app. I am logged in on my account. No possible password works to interact with the actual router. To my knowledge the only default password there is was for the wifi which I decided to keep. I even tried that and it won't work

I can login on the website version and interact without issue. But I want to be able to use the app. Wish they would acknowledge they bugged the last update and release a new one that fixes this on its own. At least from the website I could DL it.

Options
2020-03-22 14:29:03

@artscreenname 

this will let you in, but when you log out again you will be always required to log in with TPLink CLoud ID. Have you found a way to restore normal access with local password only? Frankly I don't give a s*** of administering my router from a cloud account and I would much prefer to do that only from local network.

Options
Re:Archer A7 Password not working after firmware update-Solution
2020-07-10 23:46:02 - last edited 2020-07-13 03:06:47

@JB12 I finally figured out the problem!!  When you update the router (not sure which version this starts but I upgraded to 1.0.14 and this happened), it cuts your password to 15 characters.  Meaning, if your password was longer than 15 characters, your new password is the old password up to the 15th character.  So no need to make a tp-link account!  Just log in with the new 15 character password and change it to whatever you want.  You are able to use more characters when you change the password (not sure what the limit is though).  That is one odd bug.  Hope this helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-01-13 11:29:06

@dandkim You are LIFESAVER!!!

What a tragic company is this ...

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 9490

Replies: 8

Related Articles