Manually choose which Deco to connect

Manually choose which Deco to connect

39 Reply
Re:Manually choose which Deco to connect
2022-02-16 23:56:33

@Boriy I just purchased 6 Deco M5 units to extend our wifi out to some outbuildings (and updated their firmware). Each building's unit is trying to connect to the "Main" unit rather than the closest unit, with each building's signal getting weaker until it is completely unable to connect, despite being line-of-site to another Deco unit.  I don't care if I can't manually select the signal source, but if each unit has to be in range of the main unit, I will definitely be returning all six of these.

Options
Re:Manually choose which Deco to connect-Solution
2022-02-17 03:08:10 - last edited 2022-02-17 03:08:16

@mike78355957 

Hi, welcome to the community.

It is suggested to refer to this link and install the beta firmware to manually select the signal source on Deco M5.

Deco M5 1.6.0

Manual Signal Source Selection on Deco

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Manually choose which Deco to connect
2022-08-11 17:41:50

@TP-Link 

choose which deco connects to which. I have my main deco connected to the modem on the first floor and all of the other decor on the 2nd and 3rd floor. but for some reason the one one the third floor connects to the on on the first floor even though there are two decos much closer than that and with no walls or window in between them. 

Options
2023-01-10 23:18:26

Imhave recently bought 9 e4 decos.

to my surprise, all are connected only to the main deco.

i am surprised that this bug has been 2 years haunting the past users and nothing fromtplink's end changed.

in addition, despite the firmware being updated, the list view is shown instead of the map view.

hope someone from tplink can provide a solution to this.

Options
2023-02-28 03:30:21

@kelmd2012 

I am very surprised... I bought a set of three x20 and I am having the same problem as everyone. The two satellites connect to the main device but one of them is much closer to the satellite than to the main one. It is very frustrating and in my case it makes me very disappointed with the brand. From what I see, two years ago they have been saying that they are going to fix it and nothing... it doesn't seem serious.
Options
2023-07-19 13:46:32
I have the same problem but with a mix of Deco M4 S4R and my main M5 they connect to the main even though there's a deco in between them is there a solution for this? Thankyou
Options
2023-08-29 16:46:16

I have the same issue

i have 5 Decos as a mesh system in my house,

but for some reason, devices switch to Decos that are furthest away with a weaker signal, even devices that do not move, for example

Ring doorbell or Ring Garden Camera which is downstairs on ground level will connect to the furthest Deco in the loft (3 floors up). This then gives the device the weakest signal.

it makes no sense. There is no way of switching it manually to only connect to certain Decos and then if those fail then connect to furthest away.

This should be a feature in the Decos app to manually switch a device to a certain (or closest Deco which has a greater signal).

The only way is to reboot the Deco the devices are on to make the device switch (which is not ideal) 

Options
2023-09-12 08:42:52

Same here - 3 pcs X20 lined up in a row with the main unit at the one far end, satellite 1 in the middle and satellite 2 in the other far end. For som reason satellite 2 connects directly to main unit. Tried restarting satellite 2 a few times, hoping it would connect to the nearest Deco but no go.

Options
2024-02-24 15:58:17 - last edited 2024-02-24 15:58:40

@TP-Link, please don't tell me it takes you 4 years to fix this and it's still not fixed. When can we all expect the fix? 

Options
Related Articles