Votes

Manual Signal Source Selection on Deco

Votes

2021-09-15 05:45:31 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:36:56

Background:    

Some users might notice that all satellite Deco units are connected to the main Deco, instead of the nearest satellite Deco.

Typical Layout:

Why does the satellite Deco still keep selecting the main Deco as a signal source instead of the nearest satellite Deco?
Deco will choose the best signal source by itself. The selection does not depend absolutely on the signal strength, but also on the connection rate.  Sometimes satellite Deco units may get slower speed due to half-duplex mode and interferences caused by connected devices like phones, or other devices.  To ensure the satellite Deco gets reliable speed, the main Deco stays selected by Satellite Deco after comparative analysis. 

Some users tested that after moving one of the satellites far enough and not being able to reach the main Deco, they finally get the desired connection map:

However, the speed of the satellite becomes slower than what it could get when connecting to the main Deco directly.  Due to the working pattern and protocol/regulation of Wi-Fi technology, the more wireless hops, the slower the speed would be. This rule applies to any kind of mesh or extender system. So it is not always good to connect to the nearest Deco unit.

Solutions
Deco Firmware Updates Adding Signal Selection and VPN for Multiple Models

Related FAQ:

How can I find a suitable spot for my Deco?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:[Deco] Manual Signal Source Selection -Solution
2021-10-20 03:21:35 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:35:51

Update: 

If you are experiencing a performance issue that might be brought by the “inappropriate signal source” and the current firmware does not support changing the signal source either, please email support.forum@tp-link.com with the following information:

1. Please add more details about the current performance issue.

2. Please add a picture of your detailed network layout about the location and distance of each Deco unit like the topology mentioned in the OP.

3. Please save some screenshots of the current network map and signal strength on the Deco APP, such as:

A further notice*:If no performance issues have been noticed, the current selected Deco is actually indeed the best signal source since the distance is not the only factor which decided the signal source, the position of the satellite units and the barriers around all needs to be concerned.

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
148 Reply
Re:[Deco] Manual Signal Source Selection
2021-10-18 04:10:50 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:35:51

@TP-Link Doesnt work on M9 plus.

the update is shitt!!!!!!!!!!!

All decos keep getting connected to main deco, the logic that has been used to connect is total crap!! Waste of money, its so costly, all in vain.

I have got 200 mbps connection, and i m getting 45 mbps.. Shitt Link, instead of TP Link

Options
Re:[Deco] Manual Signal Source Selection -Solution
2021-10-20 03:21:35 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:35:51

Update: 

If you are experiencing a performance issue that might be brought by the “inappropriate signal source” and the current firmware does not support changing the signal source either, please email support.forum@tp-link.com with the following information:

1. Please add more details about the current performance issue.

2. Please add a picture of your detailed network layout about the location and distance of each Deco unit like the topology mentioned in the OP.

3. Please save some screenshots of the current network map and signal strength on the Deco APP, such as:

A further notice*:If no performance issues have been noticed, the current selected Deco is actually indeed the best signal source since the distance is not the only factor which decided the signal source, the position of the satellite units and the barriers around all needs to be concerned.

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-11-08 22:33:01 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:35:51

@TP-Link I have V3.0 of the X60s, is there a specific beta firmware for them?

Options
2021-11-10 03:06:32 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:35:51

@TP-Link 

I was aiming for Whole Home Wi-Fi, I have a total of 6 Deco (M9 Plus) units to do so. 

I have disabled 2.4 GHz band, as I do not want any devices to remain connected to a slower speed.

I have 200 Mbps connection upload & download

I have mentioned the speed I'm getting in my connected device in each room in the below picture

I have mentioned the connection details  - which deco is currently connected to which Deco, that too I achieved by restarting 2 or more deco units multiple times 

The placement (height) of the Deco Unit in the below picture resembles the actual position of the Deco Unit in the room in reality

I have mentioned the room sizes as well

i have attached the Deco Layout as well

Options
2021-11-12 02:29:27 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:35:51

@KohinoorSaha 

Thanks for the detailed information.

I have forwarded your case to the senior engineers via email.

Please check your email box for further updates.

Options
2021-11-15 10:24:45 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:35:51

@Tenzin22 Thank you very much for the feedback.

It is suggested to have a look at this link and we have already planned to allow Deco to manually select the signal source.

Did you have any issue with the Deco M9 plus when the satellite unit is not connected to the nearest Deco?

Options
2021-11-16 05:30:22 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:35:51

@TP-Link 

any beta for the deco P9?

Options
2021-11-17 03:10:24 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:35:52

@Lexivienna 

Hi, did you check the private message?

Please let me know whether the firmware worked or not.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-11-17 08:02:58 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:35:52

@TP-Link 

Is there any beta available for the M4 so that we may test and report back? Thanks.

Options
2021-11-17 09:19:39 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:35:52

@TP-Link sent PM

Options

Information

Helpful: 28

Views: 45783

Replies: 150

Voters 25

+ 21 Voters