Votes

Manual Signal Source Selection on Deco - Request #9999

This repeated request has been merged into the main thread Manual Signal Source Selection on Deco. Please vote on the main thread.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This repeated request has been merged into the main thread Manual Signal Source Selection on Deco. Please vote on the main thread.
This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-26 16:52:38 - last edited 2022-11-02 10:56:52

Although I have never received help in this forum I will write my problem to be solved or at least to be on the waiting list.

There are thousands of topics on my problem. However, the manufacturer (TP-LINK) is never manages to solve the problem, which I'm sure leaves all its customers disappointed. Topics are marked as "Solved", but actually they are not.

I would ask that if this continues for the second year (waiting for the new firmware), all my routers be replaced with M5 (at the expense of the manufacturer), because it is only model with the solved issue.

Let's look at this simple scenario and imagine the apartment is linear. The M9 Plus #1 is the master and the last router (in bold) is the furthest one:

[M9 Plus #1] --------- Ethernet Cable (it actually doesn't matter) ---------> [M9 Plus #2] ---------- WiFi ---------> [M4R]

And this one:

[M9 Plus #1] --------- Ethernet Cable (it actually doesn't matter) ---------> [M4R] ---------- WiFi ---------> [M9 Plus #2]

And guess what - The last router ALWAYS tries to connect to M9 Plus #1, even if it is out of reach. It NEVER tries to reach the middle one. And starts blinking red. Again... and again... and again.

There is no way to force the last Deco to connect to the nearest one, even if it is 0.5 meters from it! Network optimisation, moving the routers and all of the suggestions in this forum are made.

It seems that the only router that receives updates is M5. It is neither higher class nor more expensive. I do not understand why this is so. The rest are useless!

All the things advertised in the box and in the site are complete lie and Deco is really stupid in choosing to which router to connect. It becames more stupid if Decos are different. So guess what - the promise, they are compitable is a lie too!

And one more thing, the last firmware for my M9 is 1.5.1 Build 20210126 Rel. 59387 - So HAPPY first year without updates - M9 Plus!

You are just a piece plastic with red light. I will use it as night LED ;)

About the Firmware of M4, I can't know it, because it is usually offline, but I am sure it is more than 1 year old.

I insist on a solution to the problem, which continues 2 years with promises and unsolved topics in this forum.

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options
11 Reply
Re:Manual Signal Source Selection on Deco - Request #9999
2022-01-27 05:53:19 - last edited 2022-11-02 10:56:08

@Momcho 

Hi,  thank you for your private message.

I could not provide an answer to the ETA of the new firmware of Deco M9 plus and Deco MR.

But as for the signal source issue, I would try my best and provide a proper solution for you.

Please keep the following network layout:

[M9 Plus #1] --------- Ethernet Cable (it actually doesn't matter) ---------> [M9 Plus #2] ---------- Wi-Fi ---------> [M4R]

Then install the beta firmware provided message.

If it did not make a difference, please send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following information:

1. A screenshot of the signal source strength on the Deco M4.

2. a picture of the location and distance of each unit.

Options
2022-01-27 08:46:16 - last edited 2022-11-02 10:56:08

@TP-Link 

When people are reading your posts, last 2 years about M9 Plus, they see "BETA firmware". And you know, there are expectations again, and lies again.

You are sending DEBUG FIRMWARE. Same firmware version, just a debug one.

Do you need to hire more people? Or you need more requests about this firmware to take it seriously?

Will this "beta" a.k.a. DEBUG firmware gives access to your lazy "engineers" to my network, so you can actually make something to solve the case? And when they will take the it?

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options
2022-01-27 10:03:11 - last edited 2022-11-02 10:56:08

@TP-Link 

Update: installing the debug firmware not changing the situation.

The M4R is 1 meter distance from the M9 Plus and.. it is trying to connect to the M9 that is 15 meters from it.

More pictures provided to the email.

Options
2022-01-27 12:38:52 - last edited 2022-11-02 10:56:08

For the users, who are following the topic - We are with one Deco out - "yaaay".

You can see after installing the Debug firmware situation here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWVH-WSvglE

Also you can see how M4R is literally 2 steps from the M9 Plus. (M9 Plus is Solid Green and visible in the LAN, in case you can't see it in the video)

I am thinking of filing a complaint to the European Customer Commission for false advertisement and inability to maintain a product within the legal two-year period + false promises since 2 years in the Official Community Forum.

If someone wants to take a part of it, just let me know.

@TP-Link have CNY and don't have European Support Center I guess.

Options
2022-01-28 08:17:46 - last edited 2022-11-02 10:56:08

few things to consider and more updates:

1) As a customer who has purchased a high-end customer mesh system, I expect a permanent solution.

I don't want the problem to be fixed until the next reboot of the Decos or if I move some of them by 0.5 meters.

2) As a family member and the need for home office times, I'm afraid to install debug versions on my routers. I think this proved after I put it on M4R and the whole internet stopped. After we are back to the normal firmware it is better. 

I also do not understand how after so many requests in the forum for two years, no one is trying to fix the problem.

3) As I said, I am searching a permanent solution, I changed the whole structure of my network yesterday:

It was: 

[M9 Plus #1 Master] --------- Ethernet Cable ---------> [M9 Plus #2] ---------- WiFi ---------> [M4R #1]

I used the cable to make it (moved the M9 Master):

--------------------------------- Provider Cable ------------>

[M9 Plus #2] <--------- Ethernet Cable --------- (15 meters) [M9 Plus #1 Master] (5 meters) ---------- WiFi ---------> [M4R #1]

And now, there is another problem.

Here are the speed tests when connected to different Decos:

M9Plus #1 Master - 300Mbps DOWN, 260Mbps UP

M9Plus #2 - 265Mbps DOWN, 208Mbps UP (it is connected with a cable, why????)

M4R #1 - 150Mbps DOWN, 90Mbps UP (it is 5 meters from the Master, WHY???)

Options
2022-01-28 15:01:23 - last edited 2022-11-02 10:56:08

Momcho wrote

Here are the speed tests when connected to different Decos:

M9Plus #1 Master - 300Mbps DOWN, 260Mbps UP

M9Plus #2 - 265Mbps DOWN, 208Mbps UP (it is connected with a cable, why????)

M4R #1 - 150Mbps DOWN, 90Mbps UP (it is 5 meters from the Master, WHY???)

@Momcho 

For M4R specifically: it is dual band unit, not tri-band like M9 Plus. Google "why do wi-fi range extenders cut bandwidth by half" and you'll see detailed explanation. With your setup, you'll benefit from changing it the following way, if you can:

-- Provider Cable -->[M4R #1] <--- Ethernet Cable ---> [M9 Plus #1 Master] <--- WiFi ---> [M9 Plus #2]

By doing that, you'll be able to utilize tri-band capability of wireless Satellite Deco M9 Plus connecting to Main Deco M9 Plus.

Also, while speeds for both wired M9 Plus seem decent, that Deco hardware can do better. What is the Internet speed from ISP and what are your expectations for Deco M9 Plus?

Options
2022-01-29 00:52:22 - last edited 2022-11-02 10:56:08

@Alexandre. 

Hello, Alexandre.

Thank you very much for you answer.

1) As seen in guide (in the app) and the answer from @TP-Link support via email, they said if I have M9 Plus and M4, a M9 Plus should be the master.

2) I am aware that M4R is dual band. It is strange for me, that even connected with Cat 6 cable between two M9 there is much speed loss. The ISP guarantee 300 Mbps and if you connect near Master M9, the speed is fine.

I expect to have around 300 Mbps at least to the second M9, which is connected by cable. Isn't this a normal expectation?

Options
2022-01-29 13:58:10 - last edited 2022-11-02 10:56:08

@Momcho 

The purpose of this document and TP-Link reply is to make sure the most powerful Deco unit is the Main Deco, because and especially in the Router mode that unit performs all heavy lifting: content filtering, bandwidth throttling, etc.

That becomes less critical in Access Point mode you are using, because other than blacklist there is not much activity happening on Main Deco during regular WiFi utilization by devices.

Even then, with the change I suggested your Main Deco is still M9 Plus. I suggested swapping Satellite Decos, while Main Deco still stays in the middle of the chain. Try that, you have nothing to lose, but you may get better speeds with that setup on devices connected to wireless Satellite Deco M9.

------------

When it comes to speed tests, many variables could influence an outcome. If your ISP provides 300Mbps, your wired Deco units should be able to deliver that much, most of the time, with proper speed testing environment. You'll find recommendations on how to run speed tests in the Section 2 of the following document: Troubleshooting: Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices

Still, WiFi is not wired connection, and results could fluctuate wildly. Here is an example of back to back speed tests I ran from the same location on the same smartphone connected to the same wired Deco M9 Plus on otherwise idle home network. My Internet is asymmetrical, gigabit down and 30Mbps up, and this is what I've got:

Occasionally, my Deco M9 Plus speed tests get less than 300Mbps, and top speed I ever got is 635Mbps.

Options
2022-01-31 09:32:32 - last edited 2022-11-02 10:56:08

@Alexandre. 

Hello Alexandre,

Thank you very much for you detailed answer, again.

I am using Decos in Router mode (there is nothing before them, plugging the provider cable directly to the M9 Plus).

I have around 70 devices in my home (60 WiFi and 10 with cable). Most of them are IoT devices in the guest 2.4Ghz network. That's why I got M9 Plus - it is advetised as IoT router (however the Zigbee hub in it is useless just like USB port and the other "advantages", also the firewall between Main & Guest network, which can't be managed - but I managed with that)...

I feel that these devices have a lot of added features that can't be changed or extended and you literally have no control over them. You know, TP-LINK TL-WR841N, which is 10 EUR has a better menu and contorol... However nobody is expecting something from 10 EUR router, but the case is different for 200 EUR one.

That is exactly what I made - moved (literally) the main M9 Plus to the middle of the chain.

If I move the same Deco at the beginning of the chain (as shown above), all the Decos try to connect to it and the signal is very week (because the distance and walls between first and last Deco is around 17m with 3-4 walls).

However, when the main Deco is at the middle, between it and M4R are one wall and 4 meters. And I can't achieve speed more than 150Mbps.

I don't want to move the M4R at the beginning at the chain (where I have a cable between first and middle device), because there are the most of the devices. But I will give it a try.

Options
2022-01-31 09:55:33 - last edited 2022-11-02 10:56:08

Copying here a hilarious answer from @TP-Link support to my email:

"Just because an option is being analyzed, this does not mean that will 100% get implemented in our line of products. For obvious reasons, we cannot implement any request from any user – this is valid also for any other company" - so, don't believe to what is written in the forum, the promises are useless

"You are requesting a function that is not advertised on product page, product installation guide, datasheet or any other official source." - I wrote them 5 other advertised things on the page, which are not actually working

"Even on the website it shows how both Deco satellites connect to the main Deco, not to each other. Please explain how the information on the website is misleading, in order to ask for a complete verification." - Woooow.. I can't believe that!!!! It is a recognition that everyone in this forum just mistaken the way how Decos work???? I am feeling like talking to some startup Chinese company, however they are more devoted.

"We do not consider that an 10 eur router will give you the same performance, ability to connect 100 devices, a mesh technology, and any other features of Deco. If it were the same features, you would have chosen that option instead." - Yes, I was fooled by the advertisment.

Let's see what European Commision think about that.

@TP-Link Do you really allow your local support to treat your products this way?

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 1646

Replies: 11