Sharp Fluctuation on 2.4 Ghz Band

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-06 08:10:12
Model: Archer C20  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.16 v0001.0 Build 170822 Rel.41366n

So I have got a new Archer C20 router in which I have Dual Band activated.

However, I have found that under Dual Band mode, the 2.4Ghz band experiences sharp fluctuation.

The 5Ghz band remains mostly stable and is connected to my smartphone and FireStick. The 2.4Ghz band is only used to connect an old Samsung Galaxy On5 Pro but the signal constantly keeps dropping even when the phone is in close proximity to the router.

However, when I disable the 5 Ghz band, it gets more stable.

I have swapped the Channel to 11, set Channel Width to 20, but nothing seems to be working.

Is this how dual band is supposed to work or is there something I need to change in the router settings to make the 2.4 Ghz signal more stable.

Thanks in advance

Options
4 Reply
Re:Sharp Fluctuation on 2.4 Ghz Band
2019-08-06 11:54:28
Both bands should be stable. I think you are on the right track by changing the channels as I would suspect some type of interference. Try different combinations of channels, modes (such as 11bgn mixed vs 11n only), and channel width if your router is so equipped. Also try moving the router at least a few feet and turned in different directions. Let us know if something works for you.
Options
Re:Re:Sharp Fluctuation on 2.4 Ghz Band
2019-08-06 12:01:12

Hi ArcherC8

Thanks for your reply

Since my post, I have updated the firmware version and have set the Channel to 13 and Channel Width to Auto

This seems to have made the connection a bit stable but am wondering if there's something else I could do to optimize the signal.

Should I bother switching the Channel Width from Auto to 20?

Thanks

Options
Re:Re:Re:Sharp Fluctuation on 2.4 Ghz Band
2019-08-06 12:31:00
Nice that the firmware helped. Try the channel width and see if it helps or not. Generally I have my router WIFI settings (Archer C8) at the factory settings which is Auto. I do broadcast SSID as it is not really hidden and makes connecting some devices easier. Even small changes in position and location of the router can make a difference as WIFI signals bounce or absorb off other objects. For example, if I change the antennas on mine, I may or may not get 5Ghz in my bedroom.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Sharp Fluctuation on 2.4 Ghz Band
2019-08-07 08:50:54

@PbNg80 

Great to know that firmware upgrading makes the connection more stable. 

You can change some wireless settings, including wireless channel and channel width; for wifi channel, try to use different one and get the best, like channel 1, 6; for channel width, you can set it up 20Mhz or auto.

Meanwhile, you can adjust the positions of the antenna to give it a shot. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/455/

Good day. 

Options