RE305 as access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE305 as access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:Re:Re:RE305 as access point
2020-01-17 09:34:56

@Dika2110 

Hello, thanks for your valued reply.

In repeater mode, the RE305 will connect to the main router by wireless to boost wifi signal. While in AP mode, the RE305 need connect to the main router by wired cable to access internet. 

You can connect it to the router and verify whether it works. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-17 09:45:59 - last edited 2020-01-17 13:24:30

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin, I already did it and connected directly to the router it works in AP mode, but you can understand that it doesn't make sense at all: close to the router there is no need to have a new access point (except maybe for particular scenario, like host network or something like that)., but, the AP mode is mostly useful if the device is connected to the power line in order to put it far from the router: do you ageee? Do you think this feature will be implemtented in the future? Otherwise the AP mode is completely useless, and I'm quite disappointed by that!

Thanks and have a good day

Options
2020-07-25 15:52:58
I also face the same issue. RE305 AP mode. Once power On will make ISP disconnected. Unplug LAN cable from RE305, ISP back online automatic. Wasting time to trouble shoot and finally found RE305 AP mode (once power on) make problems.
Options
Re:RE305 as access point
2020-08-03 15:07:40

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem with the RE205. It works fine as a repeater.

When I try to configure it as AP(exactly as described in the manual and FAQ link posted earlier in this thread - and I have tried it several times over many hours with

2 different RE205 devices to make sure that one is not broken) nothing happens and the signal LED is off (as seen in the picture earlier in this thread.)

The manual and the Amazon description both say that you can attach wired devices to the RE205 when configuring it as AP.

Basically I wanted to attach a TV box, which needs a network cable, in a room without an outlet using the RE205 to bridge the gap between router and box.

Cheers

Gerog   

Options
2020-08-03 15:14:31

@Kevin_Z

Hi,

the Amazon description says something else. The manual too by the way.

This picture (sorry it is in German) says that IT IS possibel.

But it doesn't work for me either.

Best Regards

Georg

Options
2020-09-21 13:29:00

@Dika2110 

It is crazy that the RE305 will only work as an access point if DIRECTLY connected to the router and not through a switch. As already poited out it is stupid to fit the RE305 near to the router which is normally also a WiFi access point.

Why is this not made clear in the TP Link documentation and is ther any chance of a firmware update to correct this or will I have to send it back? Will be interesting whether the supplier will accept it back as well.

Most annoyed customer. Previously a loyal purchaser of TP link equipment - perhaps not in the future.

Options
2020-10-18 15:55:14

@JF57 

Hi

I have the RE305 as well and have the same issue. I lost a couple of days trying to get it working. This seems to be because the RE305 auto detects DHCP mode. This allocates IP addresses and if it can't find another device directly connected to it it set it to ON. Therefore you have 2 devices (RE305 and router) trying to allocated IP addresses and it gets confused. You cannot manually override it with the latest firmware as of the date I write (1.1.3). If you remove the switch from the equation and connect directly to the router DHCP in auto mode on the RE305 auto selects OFF. It then seems to work.

I had to bypass the switch to get it to work and plug directly into the router. I was fortunate to have cabling through the house with the switch, router and all ethernet connections terminating in the same room so it was achievable.

I hope this helps although it would be useful to get a firmware update to manually turn off the DHCP.

Options
Re:RE305 as access point
2020-12-17 14:36:02

I got mine working! :D

A used powerline extender from eBay.....Heath Robinson? Finally it works as an access point

Options
Related Articles