Range Extender dosen't seem to work.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-14 16:19:15
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I got a new fiber network. It's router wifi coverage isn't wide enough to be detected by my wireless device (Note 8). When I go away from router about 5 meters or less, I get disconnected and my network cannot be detected, so I had to buy an extender. I got RE450 set up my home and it's in perfect location. Problem is, when I go at the same spot where my router WLAN coverage couldn't be detected. This extender couldn't be detected also. It's like I bought this extender for nothing. No improvement with the coverage of my wifi. Didn't extend the range at all. 

I need help before I return this unit to where I bought this. 

Also, I think this unit (RE450) that I got is defective coz when I try to turn the power button off, it just didn't turn off. Like it froze. I tried long press. Nope it didn't work. I just had to unplug it to restart. 

HELP!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Range Extender dosen't seem to work.
2019-08-15 05:52:28

@aeydelossantos 

Sorry for the trouble caused here, we will do some troubleshooting first and try to fix it. 

What is the led status of the RE450?

Besides, here are the instructions to configure the RE450, you can follow them to set it up. Please connect to the RE450 first before configure it.
a. Setup video: https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/re450/#video
b. Configuration guidance: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1400/

Note: 
a. Please use the home wifi password of the main router to configure it.
b. In step 4, we suggest you to customize the network name of the extender, do not copy the main router. After that, you can verify whether you can detect the wifi network of the extender. 

Any updates, please let us know. 

Options
Re:Re:Range Extender dosen't seem to work.
2019-08-15 06:43:59
That's exactly what i did a few times. Even reset the RE450 a few times. There is only one thing i still have to try, that is to update the firmware. Well i tried to update the firmware (since i just bought the unit) but on the browse file thing to attach the updated firmware, it said "unsupported file".
Options
Re:Re:Re:Range Extender dosen't seem to work.
2019-08-16 00:53:39

@aeydelossantos 

If so, could you please provide more information mentioned on my last reply so that we can do further troubleshooting?

Meanwhile, you said that the RE450 cannot be reset, could you please shot a short video of the light status when you hold the reset hole? 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Range Extender dosen't seem to work.
2019-08-16 02:52:30
Uhmm reset button resets the extender. I would have to go back to like it's the first time to configure the range extension. I did try to move RE450 farther away from my router. I put it our other house that can still be reachable. It worked. After like 10 to 15mins, it froze again. Power button, LED button, WPS button can be pressed but did nothing. The unit itself would'nt turn off, i had to unplug then plug to restart the unit. I know it froze coz the lights were just steady and the SSID of 2.4g extension can be detected by my devices (phones and laptop) but cannot connect to it and SSID of 5g extension cannot be detected by any phones or devices. The LED lights are on and steady (both 2.4g and 5g) that's the time i need to press power off but won't turn off so i have to unplug then plug back.
Options
2019-08-16 02:52:34
Uhmm reset button resets the extender. I would have to go back to like it's the first time to configure the range extension. I did try to move RE450 farther away from my router. I put it our other house that can still be reachable. It worked. After like 10 to 15mins, it froze again. Power button, LED button, WPS button can be pressed but did nothing. The unit itself would'nt turn off, i had to unplug then plug to restart the unit. I know it froze coz the lights were just steady and the SSID of 2.4g extension can be detected by my devices (phones and laptop) but cannot connect to it and SSID of 5g extension cannot be detected by any phones or devices. The LED lights are on and steady (both 2.4g and 5g) that's the time i need to press power off but won't turn off so i have to unplug then plug back.
Options
2019-08-16 02:54:43
I believe the unit that I got is defective. I'm gonna try to have it exchanged to a new unit or get my money back. Since i only got it a couple of days ago.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Range Extender dosen't seem to work.
2019-08-19 02:28:06

@aeydelossantos 

Thanks for your reply.

From the current situation, you can contact the retailer to return it or get a new extender;

Any further problem, do not hesitate to contact us. 

Best regards. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1837

Replies: 7

Related Articles