Archer C6 in Acces Point mode, no advanced setting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-15 06:10:44 - last edited 2020-04-10 06:09:50
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 built 20190115 rel 71848 (4555)

i want to replace the poor wifi of my freebox 4K (modem/router) with the tp link wifi router ArcherC6.

i turn off the wifi of the box.

if i choose acces point mode, the advanced setting disappear.

is there a solution to have AP mode and advanced settings ?

thank you

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C6 in Acces Point mode, no advanced setting-Solution
2019-08-15 06:59:39 - last edited 2020-04-10 06:09:50

@Hug 

Hi, some advanced features do not work in access point mode anymore. 

Please read the statement below to get the difference between the wireless router mode and access point mode. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2420/ 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer C6 in Acces Point mode, no advanced setting-Solution
2019-08-15 06:59:39 - last edited 2020-04-10 06:09:50

@Hug 

Hi, some advanced features do not work in access point mode anymore. 

Please read the statement below to get the difference between the wireless router mode and access point mode. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2420/ 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Archer C6 in Acces Point mode, no advanced setting
2019-08-15 07:20:13
ok thank you for détails of the différence. I'll try to switch to router mode, change the advanced compatible features and go back to point acces mode
Options
Re:Re:Re:Archer C6 in Acces Point mode, no advanced setting
2019-08-16 01:17:35

@Hug 

Ok, if need more help, just let us know.

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Archer C6 in Acces Point mode, no advanced setting
2020-04-09 14:41:01

@Kevin_Z 

Hello, 

I just bought a C6 and I have the same problem, I want to use the advanced functions only connecting the router through the ethernet LAN port to another main router that I have but if I go through the router mode it forces me to connect the modem directly to the WAN port , and if I go by the Access Point mode it won't let me use Access Control and other functions that I need, etc. My old router, a TP-Link TD WD8970 with "ADSL Modem Router" Mode internet worked without problems, just connecting to a LAN port of the main router, how could it achieve the same behavior in C6? That is, go by router mode and have the advanced functions like DHCP reservation and Access Control, without connecting to the WAN port, having internet connection via LAN, the same way my ethernet PC does.

Thanks in advance!

Options
2020-04-10 05:34:43

@remar It is indeed possible to use C6 in router mode working as if it was an access point. I had it setup that way for a day but didn't convinced me too much. As you said, connect it to LAN port and set the IP address of the C6 so it matches the subnet of your main router.

If you're going to use the DHCP server of your main router you will have to set DHCP Server to off in the C6 and will find a not fixed bug yet: the list of connected devices will be empty. That doesn't happen if you want to use the C6 DHCP server instead of your main router's, just be aware that having two DHCP servers is not a good idea except if you know what you are doing (different ranges).

Anyway, the key is that you have to configure it via web UI, and don't use the Quick setup because it will complain of the lack of Internet access. In fact, after you have it working it will still complain there's no Internet, just ignore it.

Options
2020-04-10 06:09:30

@remar 

To use access control and other advanced features, you need to configure the Archer C6 as a regular wireless router. Its WAN port needs connect to the modem directly and you need go to operation mode to ensure that it works as a wireless router.

Good day. 

Options
2020-05-23 22:45:08

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin, I just bought a a9 ac1900. I have gpon router that is connected with a fiber connection. I have disabled wireless on this router. Now I want to use my a9 as a router instead of access point. How should I proceed?

I have tried Connecting from lan port of the gpon fiber router to wan port of tp link a9 and disabled dhcp on main router and enabled on a9 as well. But internet does not get connected

My main aim is to use advanced settings of tp link a9. Pl help

Options
2020-11-10 16:12:39
New Archer C8 here, in Access Point mode. It's serving up my WLAN. And I want to filter by MAC. But no Advanced tab. It would be good if you could filter by MAC (Whitelist) while in Access Point mode. (Internet --> Access Control only allows you to Blacklist, not Whitelist.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 32812

Replies: 8