Guest Network in AP mode is not separated from local network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-21 22:32:44
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Ik have three Deco P7 units set up as Accesspoints, on a wired UTP backhaul. They are connected independently to a switch (star network), so they are not chained one after another (like one single line).

I need/want to use the modem/router my provider supplied me. There are several other wired clients in my local network. 

When i set up a Guest network on the Deco, i can still reach all ip adresses of my local network, such as servers, nas, domoticz and ip cameras from that guest network.

This should not be possible!

I used an old Asus rtn66u router set up as accesspoint before i bought de Deco's, and it had the option to create a guest network as well. When i connected to that guest network, i couldn't reach the local network, only the internet. That is the way a guest network should be operating. It was connected through UTP the same way i connected the Deco, so it should be possible.

Will there be a fix, or should i return the Deco P7 units to the store?

Options
20 Reply
Re:Guest Network in AP mode is not separated from local network
2019-08-22 03:37:51

@AM1 

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience caused here.

The main network and guest network are isolated from each other in regular router, while they still can access each other in AP mode now. 

While we have noticed that and reminded our R&D colleague. 

They are working on it now and will update on the official website if the next firmware added this feature. 

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Guest Network in AP mode is not separated from local network
2019-09-07 11:55:31

Kevin_Z wrote

@AM1 

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience caused here.

The main network and guest network are isolated from each other in regular router, while they still can access each other in AP mode now. 

While we have noticed that and reminded our R&D colleague. 

They are working on it now and will update on the official website if the next firmware added this feature. 

Best regards. 

Actually it is not an inconvenience it is a mislead and false advertising to the customers. The FAQ states a guest network, and a guest network, well it is a guest network. Otherwise it is a simple new SSID on your AP. So yes i am mad for my new M4. It is like having a colour TV and when you open it its B&W on one chanell (anyway something like that),

So, when do we expect the fix on this ? Or change the name of the "Guest" Network and the FAQ. I'm this close to returning this M4 making use of the 14days EU return policy.

Regards,

Vassilis

Options
Re:Re:Re:Guest Network in AP mode is not separated from local network
2019-09-09 09:20:50 - last edited 2019-09-09 09:21:11

@Vassilis 

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused here.

The Deco unit is a wireless router by default, and in this mode, the guest network and host network are isolated from each other.

For the feature to splitt the guest network and host network, we are working on it.

While we are sorry to tell you that we do not have the ETA yet.

Wish your kindly understanding.

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Guest Network in AP mode is not separated from local network
2019-09-09 09:27:17
This product is false advertised. I fail to see how you do not recognise that. Nowhere it says that "default" is router. Also why then have 3 deco set ? 3 devices on a router ? AP mode is default, you buy this for AP mode. Also the "guest" network, is a guest! otherwise is another SSID, again false advertise. You need to change the FAQ or provide a firmware update.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Guest Network in AP mode is not separated from local network
2019-09-10 06:49:22

@Vassilis 

You are right, the Deco usually sold as a pack, like 2-pack or 3-pack. Inevitably, one or two of them will work as the AP mode; but we are talking about the main Deco.

Once the main Deco works as the regular router mode, no matter how does the slave Deco connect to the main one, the guest network is isolated from the host network.

While if all the Decos work as the AP mode to build up the mesh system, the guest network are still able to access the host network; However, we have reminded our R&D team, and there is a plan to add it in the next firmware. 

Which faq do you refer to? You can provide a link and we will verify whether we can make it more accurate.

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Guest Network in AP mode is not separated from local network
2019-09-10 07:14:20

Kevin_Z wrote

@Vassilis 

You are right, the Deco usually sold as a pack, like 2-pack or 3-pack. Inevitably, one or two of them will work as the AP mode; but we are talking about the main Deco.

Once the main Deco works as the regular router mode, no matter how does the slave Deco connect to the main one, the guest network is isolated from the host network.

While if all the Decos work as the AP mode to build up the mesh system, the guest network are still able to access the host network; However, we have reminded our R&D team, and there is a plan to add it in the next firmware. 

Which faq do you refer to? You can provide a link and we will verify whether we can make it more accurate.

Good day. 

Thanks for the reply, and the reminder to thr R&D that this will be on the next firmware

The FAQ is: https://www.tp-link.com/gr/support/download/deco-m4/#FAQs

Secion: What is a Guest network ?

Options
2019-09-11 02:31:35

@Vassilis 

Thanks for your reply, I will remind our engineer to be more precise to avoid the misunderstanding.

For the new feature, you can keep an eye on official website.

Any further problem, please let us know.

Best regards. 

Options
2020-03-01 09:40:41

@Kevin_Z 

I see that the guest mode is added to AP mode. But when I set this and connect to the guest wifu, I can access the local NAS. 

It could be because devices connecting to the guest wifi gets up from my router. This is just another ssid. 

I am using the newest firmware (20190704)

Will the guest mode block local access?

Options
2020-03-01 13:11:09

@CKK 

That is an old firmware ? where did you see the guest network ?

anyway, the point is exactly that, guest network=NO ACCESS TO ANYTHING IN YOUR LAN

only internet access

Options
2020-03-12 13:18:31

@Vassilis 

https://www.tp-link.com/nl/support/download/deco-p7/#Firmware

I have firmware Deco P7(EU)_V1_190704 and  Guest on AP was added Deco P7(EU)_V1_181210

So I guess they added it but it does work as a guest network, I can access my network with guest. 

Yes only internet access should be allowed. 

The problem here could be because my router cannot give another ip range for devices connected to the guest network. Making it possible to access the LAN. 

There should be a way to make LAN isolation work?

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 5687

Replies: 20