OpenVPN to port 443

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

OpenVPN to port 443

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
OpenVPN to port 443
OpenVPN to port 443
2019-08-26 04:35:16 - last edited 2019-08-26 04:51:13
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20190712 rel.56946

Since a lot of firewalls use DPI to block VPN connections it’s highly infuriating that I cannot set the port to the OpenVPN on the router to be 443, I’m having to create a server on my pc using 443 which COMPLETELY DEFEATS THE POINT OF THE PORT RANGE LIMIT BEEN FOR PORT FOWARDING!

It should be user choice which port the router uses for the VPN!

And to add insult to injury the backup file (which I thought would be a way to bypass the completely pointless restriction) IS F***ING ENCRYPTED! GREAT! Just great TP-Link, great job really.

Now that I expressed my disgust for the practice, let’s get back to topic.

Is there any way I can set the OpenVPN port on the router to be 443?

And a feedback, adding the option to add stunnel to the server would be great, but i highly doubt you guys would do that.

Options
7 Reply
Re:OpenVPN to port 443
2019-08-27 11:42:20

@IgorAngelini 

Hello, thanks for your requesting. 

For your information, the port number between 1-1024 are most used for some specific programmes or protocols, for example, the https protocol uses port 443.

For now, we make a restriction on the service port option. It should be between 1024-65535. That is why you cannot setup 443 as the service port.

While for your request, we have noted that and will keep an eye on it. Then we will remind R&D team and they can evaluate the feasibility to add the option.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-08-27 16:56:52

I know that other services use the first thousand ports, and that 443 is the port to https, which is exactly the point, some firewalls block vpn connections by either blocking other ports, scanning for encrypted packages or both (Deep package inspection). Since HTTPS is obligatorily encrypted and blocking that port is detrimental to the internet experience and the SSL on the OpenVPN is almost undistinguishable from normal HTTPS traffic you can, o most firewalls, bypass vpn restriction.

Stunnel does this also, more effectively, but with higher overhead.

That’s why some one would like to open the OpenVPN on port 443, but your router blocks in every way that from happening, what I’m having to do is open a server on my machine on the port 443, so either way I’m using it. I really would prefer using the router server tho.

Options
2019-11-26 07:11:40
Yes, exactly this. The reason to use 443 is because some organization block high ports and I don't want them forcing me to use an lightly secured connection over their network. If anything the validation check in the VPN config should be to see if port 443 is being used by anything in the NAT forwarding section. If the answer is no then allow the OpenVPN connection on port 443. Vice versa if the user is trying to do NAT forwarding on port 443 if they're already using it for a VPN connection. I think you'll find that most people who want to setup VPNs on 443 will be able to not stomp on that connection with NAT forwarding. Thanks for making this into an RFE and hopefully getting it into the next firmware release.
Options
2019-12-28 22:46:36
I often use OpenVPN specifically on TCP port 443. I bought this device mainly because of this function. It was frustrating my experience. Totally disappointed by the restriction, which brings no gain to TPLink. Disappointed by my experience This os my Feedback.
Options
2019-12-30 11:46:12
Hello, I'm just wondering if there is any news from your R&D team and may be some roadmap, should we wait for 443 or not Thank you in advance Alex
Options
2020-02-12 05:15:18

I just purchased an Archer C5400X router and the only reason I purchased the router is because it said that it had OpenVPN support. I assumed, incorrectly, that it would support Port 443 TCP like my old ASUS RT-N66U.

As this is my primary reason for purchasing this router, if it is unable to be patched to support a port lower than 1024 than I have no need for the router and I will be returning it.

If there is a fix coming soon that will enable this feature, then I will keep the router, otherwise, I must return it as this is a required feature that I need.

I reached out to support and they confirmed the limitation on the port ranges but graciously indicated that they would reach out to engineering to see if there was willingness to enable support for OpenVPN port 443.

The software for controlling the router could potentially be updated to check for port conflicts in the live configuration settings, like my old ASUS, instead of a simple forced JQuery range check on a text form field.

Please add my voice to this same request that the OpenVPN software in the router support any port the user chooses to set even if there is a chance for a conflict and consider adding software logic to the firmware that verifies that the port is not being used elsewhere for port forwarding or triggering so as to prevent conflicts.

Many Thanks in Advance!

Options
2020-02-24 00:33:11

To TPLINK, I also need to set OpenVPN port to 443. Please add in AX50 router as well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 3511

Replies: 7

Related Articles