Using an external aerial (via 5m aerial cable) with a range extender/repeater

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-06 01:22:44 - last edited 2019-09-06 02:41:39
Model: TL-WA901ND  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: TL-WA901nd(EU)-V5-160929

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but it seemed the "best fit".

We have a WiFi LAN at home, with a D-Link DIR890L as the “root” of that network. I have a large shed – around 20 metres or so away from the house, into which I want to extend that WiFi network via repeater.

The thinking was that I would use some kind of commodity hardware (TP Link WA901ND or similar) as a repeater. However, I need to have the repeater itself inside the shed (where there is power), AND have it connected to an aerial outside the faraday cage the shed represents.

I note that TP Link (amongst others) sell extended aerial cables, so the question is, am I right in assuming that I could buy one of these cables, run it to outside the shed (line of sight to house/existing WiFi network), and have the WA901nd then act as a repeater for that network?

Or am I missing something?

The advice I’ve gotten from local IT “experts” is that I definitely need to purchase a 2-part system – 1 part at the house (Ethernet cabled into the D-Link DIR890L), and a second part at the shed end. If I have WiFi coverage to the perimeter of the shed, surely I can just use the one repeater, as long as it can take signal from outside the shed via externally-connected aerial…?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Using an external aerial (via 5m aerial cable) with a range extender/repeater
2019-09-06 02:41:23 - last edited 2019-09-06 02:41:39

@Shedfull 

What do you mean extended aerial cables? Could you please show us a link where you saw it? 

Do you want to connect the 901ND to the main router by wired cable to extend the wifi range? If so, you can configure it as an access point. Here I have to remind you that the wifi coverage area of the 901ND is about 10 meters, and it is related to the actual environment as well; If  you want to connect it to the main router by wireless, the signal strength may be weak combined with it is located inside the shed. 

What is the size/coverage area of the shed? 

And is there any other specific network requests? 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Using an external aerial (via 5m aerial cable) with a range extender/repeater
2019-09-06 04:59:49
Hmmm... Perhaps I'm not explaining myself very well. In an ordinary situation, I'd connect the tp link device to the D Link one via WiFi, ostensibly to "extend" the coverage of the WiFi network provided by the D Link. (I hope that makes sense?) The TP Link device would then be "extending" or "repeating" the signal from the D Link. I would NOT be connecting the two devices physically via ethernet. Now, consider the above scenario, with the TP Link device inside a faraday cage (the shed). "If" I could physically separate one of it's aerials from the actual device - i.e. by running an extended length aerial cable from the device to somewhere both outside the shed, and with line of sight to the D Link device, theoretically I'd now have (A) My WiFi network extended, and (B) have run the WiFi signal from the aerial, through the aerial cable, to inside the shed. Again, the theory goes that I would disconnect one of the removable aerials from the TP Link device. I would then screw in one end of the extended aerial cable to the connection where the aerial was previously. The other end of the cable would be screwed into the (now removed) aerial, and mounted outside the shed, so that the TP Link device could access the WiFi signal from the D Link device via line of sight. Again, I do NOT wish to physically conjoin the two devices; I wish to broaden or extend the range of the WiFi network I already have, using commodity hardware and an extended aerial cable similar to that shown here https://www.mwave.com.au/product/tplink-tlant24ec5s-antenna-extension-cable-5m-aa81188. Is this possible? Please, let me know if I need to add further to the explanation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1305

Replies: 2