How to force connect to particular Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to force connect to particular Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
83 Reply
Re:How to force connect to particular Deco
2020-06-25 11:44:03

@Betacart I found that there's a WPS button for each Deco in the advanced wifi options in the App. If you click the button of the deco you want and click on WPS on the device it will connect to said Deco. Then you can turn off the mesh option on the device. That should do the trick. However, I don't know how reliable it is. 

Options
2020-06-25 11:47:03
Hi, you are right, but you can do it only for devices accepting WPS. In case of Air Purifier or TV or smart light, you are out of luck. But yes, for some devices, it is possible way. Anyway, I strongly ask TP Link to add option, as this is essential feature and for given price, it is must. So, please, TP Link, hear us and do the change. Thanks!
Options
2020-07-04 12:07:03

+1. I have exectly the same issue. Very annoying

Options
Re:Re:Re:How to force connect to particular Deco
2020-07-05 00:42:52

@Kevin_Z is the option to disable mesh for especific devices available in all deco models? I have the E4 model and I don't see that option.

Options
2020-07-22 20:24:12

@Kevin_Z 

I'd like to add my voice to thew ability to connect to a particular mesh device. I have the TP_Link Archer7 main router and two TP300 mesh device range extenders.

While I have one mesh device closer to my laptop the laptop continues to remain connected to the main router to which it originally connected. Even having the laptop off for a week it didn't look for a better connection.

Are you saying to not operate in a meshed setup for better performance? If you do that then you'd end up in my case with 3 network names, one for each device as opposed to single network name across all devices.

Options
2020-07-24 06:35:57 - last edited 2021-05-12 01:42:58

@Roger20  @egaribay 

Hello all,

Sorry to tell you that there is no option to force connect to a particular Deco yet. While we have noted that and will improve this feature in future firmware updates, please be more patient with that.

Theoretically, the Deco system will recommend the client device to roam to the closest Deco unit when the device is moving around. However, whether to roam or not depends on the device itself.

Some devices may stay connected to the original Deco unit rather than connecting to the closest Deco, possible reasons include the following:

1) The device doesn't support the roaming protocol. Then it won't roam until it disconnects from the Deco unit.

2) The device may regard the signal strength of the current connection is still strong enough and don't want to roam to another Deco unit. It's decided by the roaming threshold which is set by the vendor of the device.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Options
2020-07-24 06:40:48

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi, thanks for your explanation and as you stated, there are also some settings from device maker. Anyways, presence of selecting, to which sattelite I can connect i much more needed, specially, when device, from any reason, don't want to connect to slosest sattelite.

Please, put this option to top of the list, as this shoud have priority for FW update. I am still encountering problems connecting lots of devices and manually checking, to which Deco they connect.

Options
2020-08-04 14:01:59

Please add me to the list that desperately needs this feature.  It is imperative for my devices.  Thanks!

Options
2020-08-04 16:19:50

@TP-Link_Deco 

You do realize your statement is an excuse and not an answer????  Look how old this thread is and you keep repeating the same statement.  I'm saying this because in 2020 my Deco M5's experience the same issues.

Options
2020-08-19 22:17:27

Absolutely this 'feature' is necessary. In reality there should not be a need. It can actually be said that this device is not fit for purpose as the claims for the ability of the device does not match the description. It is entirely misleading that connected devices will select the appropriate node. This ability needs to be fixed and the ability to be able to select a node would be at least one measure to enable this fix.

Options
Related Articles