How to force connect to particular Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-06 12:36:17 - last edited 2020-07-24 06:37:11
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20190620 Rel. 45372

Hi,

I am wondering, wether it is possible to set, to which Deco unit should be connected concrete device. 

My example: I have 3 Decos and in some rooms, there are air purifiers, cameras or gateway. As I checked, for example gateway is not connected to Deco, which is in same room, but to another, which is far away. And gateway reports, that signal is bad. And as I not move with this gateway, I want to force to stay connected to Deco, which is in same room, 2 meters from it, so from signal point of view, it should be much more better.

So, how to force it and how to set, that this device should be connected to expected Deco?

Thank you!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:How to force connect to particular Deco-Solution
2020-11-14 21:57:30 - last edited 2021-05-13 15:21:38

My few cents on the topics of this thread.

This is what I can see was discussed.

Feature request 1: Set the linked Deco that satellite Deco connects to.

This feature is under Deco software developers control. If people keep asking, they can implement it. This is especially useful for a mesh with Deco nodes in close proximity of each other.

Feature request 2: Set the linked Deco that a device connects to, or a preferred one.

This feature is not under Deco software developers control. It is device that goes "I need to connect to WiFi, I know the network SSID and password, WiFi network presents me with multiple nodes, that will be the node I will connect to - my decision."

That is what Deco support may be struggling to explain. Disabling "Mesh" in Deco node for a device does not glue device to that Deco node. It is just Deco node stops saying to device "look, there is another node you may wish to connect to, perhaps better. What do you think?" 

Instead, Deco node accepts connection from that device and that's it. If device decided to switch to different node, on its own, Deco node can do nothing about it.

The only way I could think how Deco developers could implement it is make each Deco node create its own WiFi network with own SSID. We have Main and Guest networks, that could be Node network in addition to them. Each Deco node allows to set its own Node specific SSID/password, and devices configured to use it will glue itself to a single Deco node.

The problem is, that destroys the concept of a mesh. As well, when that Deco node goes down, devices connected to its Node SSID will lose Internet connection. Well, if you want device to connect to the specific deco, that's the price to pay.

I am not with TP-Link, but looking at this my guess would be, we won't see that implemented any time soon. I doubt any other mesh offers that, too - prove me wrong. 

Special case: Laptop stays connected to the main Deco rather than the Deco right next to the device.

If this is Windows laptop or tablet, you might be able to tweak WiFi driver settings. Google this: "Wi-Fi Roaming Aggressiveness Setting

One more workaround for Windows device. I have older Surface Pro 4 with WiFi adapter that does not offer WiFi roaming aggressiveness configuration. My Surface Pro 4 would lock itself to the closest node, but when moved around will only reconnect to a different node when signal goes really low. I mitigated that by enabling, under Wireless Properties, the setting “Look for other wireless networks while connected to this network” and by removing all known networks Surface Pro rarely connects to (from hotels and airports I used to visit, for example). 

It seems windows tablet started to reconnect to closest Deco node more aggressively after that.

Finally, on your Windows device you might find the option “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” under “Power Management” tab of network adapter. If you enable it, device should turn off adapter when it goes to sleep. When you wake device up, it will turn adapter on and reconnect to the network, ideally to the nearest node with the strongest signal.

Be warned - that might create its own issues with WiFi connectivity, but worth the try.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How to force connect to particular Deco-Solution
2021-05-12 01:45:53 - last edited 2021-09-17 02:05:31

@Larra-Gurra 

Hi, the later firmware 1.6.x would allow manually selecting which Deco unit to connect for the clients;

And it would also allow manually selecting the signal source of satellite Deco units;

This firmware would be released on the Deco M5 first;

[New Firmware] Deco M5 1.6.0

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
83 Reply
Re:How to force connect to particular Deco
2019-09-09 01:31:02

@Betacart 

Hello, you can turn on the specific Deco unit only and connect your device to it.

Then you can click the internet icon and hit the Deco unit you have connected and turn off the mesh for the client you use. Then it won't roam between Decos seamlessly.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:How to force connect to particular Deco
2019-09-09 05:33:32

Hi,

thank you for reply. And if I want to connect to one out of three Decos, should I power off remaining 2 including Main Deco?

And do same process in each room?

Definitely, I would welcome option to manually select Deco, which I want to connect to, if MESH switch will be OFF.

Jirka

Options
Re:Re:Re:How to force connect to particular Deco
2019-09-10 06:36:12

@Betacart 

Sorry to tell you that there is no option to force connect to a particular Deco yet. While we have noted that and will remind our R&D team about this request once we got more similar data.

For now, we may need connect a device to the specific Deco first and disable mesh.

And theoretically, the device will select and connect to the wifi network with better performance automatically.

May it help and have a good day. 

Options
2019-09-10 06:41:32

Hi,

thank you. I tried steps by your suggestion, but it is hard to manage lots of devices and even I tried to assign device to particular Deco, after that, it was linked to different.

Anyway, if there will be possibility to add this in future, it will be nice.

For now, I given up this and turn mesh for all as it was before.

Thank you

Options
2019-09-11 05:33:34

@Betacart 

Thanks for your reply, sorry for the inconvenience caused here.

For the feature, we have noted that and will keep an eye on the similar feedback. Then we will remind our R&D team with more data.

Best regards. 

Options
2020-02-13 13:48:56

@Kevin_Z Add me to the list of people who want this.

Completely insane that I have a Deco (M5 connected via ethernet backhaul) sat within centimeters of the device (with mesh turned on and obviously excellent signal strength) and yet the device is connecting to the main Deco which is 10m away (in another building) with poor signal...

Either the software which negotiates the mesh connection needs some serious work, or we need the ability to force the device to connect to a specific Deco in the admin app.

Mad...

(Get those R&D boys working ;) ) Thanks!!!

Options
2020-02-14 02:56:49

@Wilkenism 

Noted that;

And it seems that the signal strength from the main Deco does not reach the threshold value, that is why it does not trigger the AP/band steering; you can move them further away from each other.

As a workaround,  you can connect your device to the specific Deco first and turn off mesh technology for this device; then Deco won't suggest the device to roam between different APs/Bands.

Good day.

Options
2020-04-21 21:27:32

@Betacart Having the same problem here, and even the workaround of turning off the mesh option won´t always work as the device will select the wrong Deco sometimes. Please remember to tell the R&D team to consider this feature of forcing a device to always connect to a particular Deco. Thanks.

Options
2020-05-14 01:11:40

@Betacart SAme problem here. I have a TV on 1st floor of my house and should connect to the Deco that I have in that same floor. (kitchen deco) Every single device connects to the kitchen deco except during the night that TV switches for some reason to the office Deco (2nd floor). Whenever TV connects to that Deco the speed drops from 100 MB to 500 KB!!! Insane!. The way I try to force TV to connect to the Kitchen Deco is by selecting WPS option on the kitchen network and TV which _sometimes_ works. I've tried deactivating the Mesh option once the TV is connected to the kitchen deco but everytime I turn off the TV it connects to the office deco agan (which again, is on a different storie).

I paid a lot of money to improve my wifi connection and I can't seem to fix that issue...so frustrated. We need an option to force a device to a particular deco, plz!

Options
2020-06-25 10:48:07

@Betacart Please also add me to this list as I have exactly the same issues which is massivley frustrating and surley by now should be fixed? Have your R&D team not found a solution yet?

As a comparison, I have devices on one floor connectng to a Deco that is on a different floor and miles away, hence a poor signal. Why on earth is the Deco furtherest away deciding via the wonders of Mesh to connect to that device? Seems bonkers to me.

Please can you provide an update ASAP?

Many thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 10

Views: 60597

Replies: 83

Related Articles