force device to always connect to a specific deco?

2019-09-20 13:48:31 - last edited 2022-07-26 07:54:22
Tags: #Feature Request #connection preference
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Is there any way to force a device to connect to a specific deco? In my home office I have a TP-Link RE450 extending the Deco's WiFi network, but it always seems to connect to the deco furthest away from it rather (ideally) the one just a few meters away from it in the hallway - or even the (main) deco in the kitchen.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:force device to always connect to a specific deco?-Solution
2020-11-06 06:49:43 - last edited 2023-11-07 09:13:51

Update:

Generally, the mobile client will connect to the nearest Deco node. However, there are still some clients sticking on a Deco node further away, which may be decided by the roaming mechanism of the client device itself. A client device decides whether to roam or not depending on several factors. For more details, please refer to this link:
Why my clients don't roam/connect to the nearest Deco node?

In the meantime, A new feature-Connection Preference: Customize Your Preferred Deco has been added on several models which allows users to manually select a specific Deco to connect. You could refer to this link to check whether you current firmware support connection preference or not:

Understand the Differences Among Deco Firmware Platforms

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
107 Reply
Re:force device to always connect to a specific deco?
2019-09-23 03:15:29

@moloko 

Sorry to tell you that there is no option to force connect to a particular Deco yet. While we have noted that and will remind our R&D team about this request once we got more similar data.

For now, we may need connect a device to the specific Deco first and disable mesh technology.

And theoretically, the device will select and connect to the wifi network with better performance automatically.

May it help and have a good day. 

Options
2019-09-23 09:54:46

Kevin_Z wrote

For now, we may need connect a device to the specific Deco first and disable mesh technology.

And theoretically, the device will select and connect to the wifi network with better performance automatically.

@Kevin_Z thanks, as it turns out that's exactly what I ended up trying and it so far it seems to be working.

Options
2019-09-23 22:55:49
If we disable mesh tech on a device, it will only connect to the last deco it was connected to? Or the main deco?
Options
2019-09-24 08:14:54

@moloko 

Got cha. Glad to hear that it works well as expected now.

You can take more time to test the performance.

And please feel free to let us know if there is any updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-24 08:16:47

@Razr 

With mesh technology disabled, the Deco won't recommend the client to roam between different networks. 

And it will connect to the last Deco it was connected to before you disabled the mesh technology. 

However, some devices will choose the stronger signal to connect automatically, which we cannot limit on the Deco. 

Options
2019-09-24 08:19:41
Thank you for clarifying. Quick question (not to highjack the thread) are there plans to add a web ui to the Deco p7? I like the added features in the latest update, I just enjoy being able to restart my network from a computer and manage port forwarding and stuff. Thanks!
Options
2019-09-24 09:59:38

@Kevin_Z seems to be working well so far. It certainly would be useful to have an option to force a device to connect to a particular Deco rather than just having to wait until it does.

I echo what @Razr says about improving the WebUI. Call me old-fasioned but I do prefer a good old web UI to a mobile app!

Options
2019-09-25 08:13:07

@moloko 

Thanks for your reply, great to know that it works so far. 

For the new feature, have noted that. wink

If need more help, just let us know.

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-25 08:15:44

@Razr 

Hello, the Deco P7 supports web UI since the latest firmware already. 

While cause there is not much features supported by web UI, we choose NOT add it under release note.

You can access it with the LAN IP address when you connect to the Deco P7.

Options
2019-09-25 08:31:15

@Kevin_Z 

Awesome. Thats super convient and exciting, the reboot all option is great, and makes me super happy. 

I'm trying to set up a server, and I need to know my local domain name for the Deco P7. Could you help me? 

Does each deco have its own domain name? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 41

Views: 79421

Replies: 107

Tags

Feature Request
connection preference
Related Articles