How to force connect to particular Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to force connect to particular Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
83 Reply
Re:How to force connect to particular Deco
2020-08-24 09:39:52

@Betacart +1 for feature request.

I would like to see the option to:

1) Set the linked Deco that a satellite Deco connects to.

2) Set the linked Deco that a device connects to, or a preferred one.

I have an office Deco that seems to connect back to the main Deco several rooms away and so gives a poor speed. I have a Deco in between that will perfectly pass on the signal giving full speed, but I have to reboot the devices in a certain order to try and get them to connect as they should. Very frustrating. Definitely not a good mesh "logic".

Also, laptops that I roam with will stay connected to the main Deco rather than the Deco right next to the device. Whilst there is still throughput, being constantly on video calls means I get degradation unless I can connect to the nearest deco.

TBH, whilst I think we should have the requested features, maybe the Deco logic needs improving?

Options
2020-09-01 07:00:56

@TP-Link_Deco 

Please Add options Force Connect to a specified Deco Unit. Because it shows that my Laptop is connected to secondary Deco unit while my laptop is just less than a meter away from the Main Deco unit. Its weird that it connected to the farthest Deco unit while the Main Deco is the nearest.

Options
2020-09-01 16:05:28

@TP-Link_Deco Any update on if/when this feature will be available? I just set up a mesh network with a couple M5s and my laptop keeps trying to connect to the node that's farther away. The connection quality is abysmal. I think this is table stakes for me to continue using this product.

To everyone else: Are there mesh network products out there that allow users to specify a "favored" node on the network per device, TP-Link or otherwise? If so, I will happily return this product and switch over.

Thanks!

Options
2020-09-02 01:20:08

@RandyTutelage 

Hi, thanks for asking again, while there is currently no ETA that we can provide.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread that some devices may stay connected to the original Deco unit rather than connecting to the closest Deco, possible reasons include the following:

1) The device doesn't support the roaming protocol. Then it won't roam until it disconnects from the Deco unit.

2) The device may regard the signal strength of the current connection is still strong enough and don't want to roam to another Deco unit. It's decided by the roaming threshold which is set by the vendor of the device.

You may try to forget the wireless connection on your laptop and connect to the Deco wireless again when it is beside the node that you want to connect, then confirm whether it will connect to the one that you require.

Good days.

Options
2020-09-12 06:21:28

We are now at the end of 2020, so evidently your R&D department had plenty of time to implement this desperately needed feature. Even if the algorithm to connect to the closest deco was working properly, a manual override is always useful. We need this feature. I had to ethernet wire a TV with a satellite deco sitting on its stand to avoid this problem as it was constantly connecting for no reason to the main deco in the basement. I had tried everything and could not get it to work, please loop in your engineering lead on this thread if they need additional details. 

Laurent

Options
2020-09-18 07:30:39

The product page says "Devices automatically switch between Decos as you move through your home for the fastest possible speeds."  This is the reason I purchased a 3-pack of the M5 Deco, and at least half of the time the devices connect to the one with the poorest signal and transfer speeds, making my purchase essentially a waste of time based upon the above claim.  There is no asterisk that says 'Devices ultimately decide which Deco to connect to and can often be the non-optimal Deco, unless they support standards 802.11k and 802.11r".

I really feel like I've been conned into the purchase by your marketing not being honest.

Options
2020-10-20 19:39:01
Hello, i have 5 decos and having same issue specifically with wireless cams jumping to far decos even after disabling mesh. This feauture is a must, do we have any new eta? Thanks
Options
2020-10-20 19:46:06

TP-link support: are you guys in lockdown with no access to internet? People left and right are asking for this feature. Please reply with an ETA. 

Laurent

Options
2020-10-27 00:50:13

@LaurentBourg they just won't do it...

Options
2020-10-29 05:41:32
I have the same problem too
Options
Related Articles