Long distance wifi reception

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-08 07:34:13
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: N/A

Hi,

I live on a boat and I would like to access wifi hotspots in the marina.

I also want to run my wifi devices through a router so when I leave the boat with my phone (our current hotspot) there will still be wifi on the boat for devices such as security cameras.

Is this possible?

If so what router do I require?

I need a router with an external antenna input for receiving wifi from the hotspot.

What router would be suitable?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Renoir

Options
3 Reply
Re:Long distance wifi reception
2019-09-09 02:24:42

@Renoir 

Hello, for your information, we do have some devices which can connect to an existing wireless network to extend the wifi coverage, including indoor and outdoor devices. 

While the unknown existing network causes an uncertain situation--whether the device would work with it together because the wireless hotspot varies depending on the different countries and manufacturers. 

Besides, to make it work, we need ensure that it can communicate with the hotspot at any time, otherwise other devices may not work once the hotspot has gone. 

And how far away bwteen your boat and the wifi hotspots in the marina? 

Good day.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Re:Long distance wifi reception
2019-09-10 02:24:26

I have a 7db antenna mounted about 4 meters up.

The hotspots distances vary from 100 meters to perhaps 800 meters.

In essence, I just want to achieve the same as if I would connect my computer or phone directly to a hotspot.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Long distance wifi reception
2019-09-10 07:09:24

@Renoir 

Hello, considering the distance from the hotspot, the normal indoor devices cannot satisfy your needs.

We do have some outdoor/business product which can cover the current distance. Like the CPE.

For more information and suggestion, it is suggested to post a thread on https://community.tp-link.com/en/business

Then our colleague will provide you with a specific solution.

Best regards. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options