Archer C7 v5 is emitting a hidden network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 v5 is emitting a hidden network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
105 Reply
Re:Archer C7 v5 is emitting a hidden network
2020-07-23 13:09:43

@ArcherC8 @lemon @GabrielM @AlexG70 @RevenFlame @rod.evans @porobk @xitan @Bunklung @Nn7 @mocelet @Maciej_K @matthew.mfden @adios @http8000 @noseran @hellospammer @Mare007 @holtdw @FlatPepsi @MiBi @gdog @WookieeFer 

Given the large number of replies in this thread, I think TP Link should address our concerns with this issue rather repeating their reply without offering any solution. To summarize this thread so far, there are 4 issues with the hidden network being always on:

1) Security issues

Any additional wireless network adds security vulnerabilities. If there is no added benefit (in the case the user does not want the wireless mesh functionality), there is no reason to add vulnerabilities without anything in return, especially if the user has no control over the additional network. In addition, as we have heared from @lemon (reply #51), there already exists a proven vulnerability with TP-Link's OneMesh. How can you, @Kevin_Z, respond to this issue with saying OneMesh is "very safe"? 

2) Energy consumption

Clearly, the added wireless network consumes additional energy. For the sake of dealing responsibly with the resources we have available on planet Earth, I makes no sense to waste them. Sustainability can be achieved in all human activities, operating wireless routers is no exception.

3) Interference with other networks

As we have heared from @gdog, the hidden networks contribute to areas with a high density of different wifi-networks, potentially causing cross-interference. To not congest such areas with additional networks nobody uses, it makes sense to turn-off unwanted networks.

4) Giving up control

The user of a device should decide on how he/she operates it. If certain features are not neccessary to operate the device, there should be an option to deactivate them.

In summary, there are a number of issues with the additional hidden network. Any of the concerns listed above should be a reason to add an option to turn off the hidden network, let alone all of them combined! 

@Kevin_Z, please forward this thread to your decision makers and software developers. Adding a possibility to turn off an unwanted network should not be a difficult feature to implement. What is the reason that this functionality does not already exist?

Options
2020-07-23 13:35:26 - last edited 2020-07-23 18:15:33

@Kevin_Z  Please ask the Tech people at TP-Link  to provide a solution for this issue for TP-Link Archer C6 v2(EU) as well. The above post sums up the problem with the *hidden network* pretty well. Energy isn't free you know : x

Options
Re:Archer C7 v5 is emitting a hidden network-Solution
2020-07-24 10:40:55 - last edited 2021-07-28 02:14:08

Hello all, if you require to disable the Onemesh hidden network on the TP-Link router, please refer to this thread we've updated to find a solution:

[Solution] Disable Onemesh Hidden network

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-04 13:56:04

@Kevin_Z 

This issue is also found on the Archer A6 v2.0 that I have. So are there any plans to update the firmware for this device with the ability to turn of this OneMesh signal?

Options
2020-09-07 15:32:54

Hi @Kevin_Z,

I am C6 user from Hong Kong and the same happened to my router just bought. From the firmware page it mentioned firmeware could not be downgraded. Is there other solution?

Will the on/off switch also planned for C6 as well? Thanks.

https://www.tp-link.com/hk/support/download/archer-c6/#Firmware

Archer C6(EU)_V2_200402
Published Date: 2020-04-22 Language: English File Size: 8.18 MB

Modifications and Bug Fixes
1. Added OneMesh function.
2. Improvided the connection stability, fixed the issue that router disconnected because of frequent DHCP requests.

Notes:
1. For Archer C6(EU) V2.
2. This FW has added some new features, it cannot be downgraded to former release once upgraded to this one.

Options
2020-09-08 01:40:07

@Alagazam   @franky00 

Hi, thanks for bringing this up again.

Yes, we already have the plan to add the on/off switch for the OneMesh feature on both Archer C6 and A6, as well as on the Archer A7 and C7, but there is no ETA for that new firmware now.

Please keep an eye on the official website for the future firmware updates, thanks a lot.

Options
2020-09-20 20:45:16

@Kevin_Z Now I bought a C6 and I am very disappointed with your approach. The switch should have been there a long time ago. When will the new firmware be? You certainly don't know. I'm going to return the router

Options
2020-10-03 22:39:37 - last edited 2020-10-03 22:43:11

I recently bought the AC1750 A7 router when I upgraded my internet service a few weeks ago, and this thread has been very enlightening, to say the least.  It started with a simple question back in September of last year, basically asking "what is this hidden network thing" (paraphrased) and getting a basic (and sad) response "it's not a bug, it's a feature" (again, paraphrased).  Many pages of comments, concerns, and reports of legitimate issues and 10+ months later we have a "good news everybody" response saying that they've heard the community and will implement the kill switch in a future firmware update.

Happy to hear there will be an update coming, sad to see it took 10+ months of customer feedback to get there.

I get it though, and I'm not throwing shade at the engineers for this.  I've seen this scenario play out in real-time on previous projects:  Marketing exec sells product idea to top corporate execs, without really consulting the engineers that actually do the work day in and day out.  The product managers tell the real engineers the idea, and the engineers roll their eyes (as engineers often do) and tell the product managers that it's probably not a good idea.  The product managers tell the engineers to "hold their nose" and do it anyway, implementing the best version of the bad idea that can be implemented.  Product manager: "This is something the customers really want!"  Engineers: "Sure, but do the customers know about the risks of a back-channel that can't be user configured, regardless of how obscured and difficult it is to hack?"  Product manager: <blank stare>

Anyway, just adding some snark to the conversation so that I can be notified when this thread is updated, hopefully with the announcement of the new firmware.

- glen
Options
2020-10-10 01:27:35

@Kevin_Z 

@Kevin_Z 

I have the same problem and I am waiting for the solution.

it has been more than 2 months now.

When is Tplink solve the issue ???!!!!!!

Options
2020-11-10 10:04:48

@Aquafox 

Tp - Link vr2100 emitting hidden network, i want to disable it but firmware does not let to do so. Please add an option to disable it

Options