Why are my posts being deleted?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-09 22:35:17 - last edited 2019-09-10 00:02:09

I have an issue with my Deco M9 plus. I am looking for assistance, and my posts keep getting deleted by the administrator. Some explanation would be greatly appreciated. Especially, since telephone support is not responding as promised!

Starting a net new post here - I see others have the same issue with no response from TP Link support. 

I have a 1Gbps up/down ISP, which at the carriers equipment I see true Gig speeds. This includes equipment directly connected to the carriers router.

I have 2 M9's approx. 25' apart (one in the basement and one on the second story) They are directly hardwired (CAT6) together. The primary M9 is connected directly to the carriers router, and as mentioned the second port is directly connected to the second M9. Wired into the second M9 is a PC with a 1Gbps NIC set to 1Gbps/full duplex. 

The primary M9 shows carrier speeds over 700Mbps when performing the internet speed test from the Deco app. Wirless devices connected to the primary M9 (iPhone/iPad/MacBook) all see throughput above 300Mbps. I would expect this given it's wifi. When connected to the secondary M9, speeds appear to be capped at 100Mbps, this is true for both wifi and ethernet connected devices. I have direct connected via ethernet into the primary M9 and see the same bandwidth, under 100Mbps. Connecting direct to the carrier equipment I see >800Mbps. (same PC, same cables)

At TP Link phone support request I have completed a hard reset on both M9's and setup from scratch. I have also, swapped the M9 locations and assignment (primary/secondary) with  a hard reset and reconfiguration. In any scenario devices hardwired to the primary M9 cannot exceed 100Mbps throughput. The only time I am able to exceed these speeds is with devices connected via wifi directly to the primary M9. 

I have run in both router mode and access point mode. I have run with everything disabled (anti-virus, QoS, parentla controls). No matter the configuration the same bandwidth challenges exist. I have also run file copy tests between devices on my network, anything going through the M9's is limited to under 100Mbps, with the M9's out of the picture or routed around, I see full 1Gbps copies across my LAN. 

If I adjust the total bandwidth setting under QoS to anything under 100Mbps, I see my devices capped at these speeds, expected behaviour. If I adjust this setting to anything between 100 and 1024 (the highest point accepted in the app) I see approx. 10% throughput, example if I set this to 500/500Mbps I see a bandwidth at 50/50Mbps, as I adjust this number higher, ie 800Mbps I see speeds capped at 80Mbps. At the maximum setting (to meet my providers bandwidth) 1024Mbps I appear to be capped at 100Mbps. This is only true for devices not connected to the primary unit via wifi, anything connected to the primary via CAT6 shows the throttled behaviour. 

I have also perfomed a speedtest from multiple devices simultaneously all connected to the same M9. The outcome, combined speedtest total do not exceed 100Mbps. The bandwidth is not equally shared, showing each device giving up some speed as the next device performs a speedtest. USing 3 devices the first maxed out at (upload speeds) 60Mbps, 2nd at 30Mbps and the 3rd at 10Mbps. 

I have to speculate that:  a) the firmware is capping the badnwidht/throughput per device at a maximum of 10% of the allotted bandwidth. b) the network adapter/settings are not running at 1Gbps, likely only 100Mbps. c) there is an algorithm issue in the bandwidth/QoS settings/configuration. d) a wired backhaul network is not used/fully used. e) TP Link Deco M9 Plus is not capable of delivering more than 100Mbps beyond the primary device.

I have seen other threads on this subject, and do not beleive I am the only one with this issue. I also don't beleive that one of the devices is bad, given I've swapped their positions and reconfigured from scratch with the same results. There is something bigger here that TP Link needs to address. 

I am not able to return for a refund (I have the receipt and box, but the store does not take equipment back after 30 days - I just found this issue in the last two days) TP Link 2nd line support doesn't return calls and the 1st line is unable to offer any further assistance. I'd like this to be addressed by TP Link support and feel I am owed support given I've spent nearly $300 (Canadian) on your products that do not deliver as promised. 

Options
26 Reply
Re:Why are my posts being deleted?
2019-09-10 02:29:52

@TWPS 

First of all, there is NO post deleted yet, and we won't delete the valid thread posted by you customers, instead, we will try our best to help you and solve it.

The reason why you cannot find the old posts is that the EN community and US community is isolated, (US community is for US customers, while the EN community is available for global users including US) which cannot communicate with each other.

The thread link posted on US community is attached below: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/152513?page=3 

For the EN community, the posts belong to you listed as below: 

Back to your case, you have done many troubleshooting but failed to fix it.

You can try to disable QoS, setup application priority as standard and remove all the device high priority rules, do not setup the bandwidth under it. 

Still the same, we would love to follow up your case via email and do some troubleshooting. If you are willing to do that, please check your inbox.

Thanks for your support in advance and have a good day.

Options
2019-09-10 12:43:47

@Kevin_Z I have gone through the QoS standard vs custom, ran with no QoS (from a fresh install), I have also used the bandwidth as tested vs entering 1024 (to match carrier throughput). There is no change to anything connected to the the Deco M9 ethernet port. 

I have swapped the location of these M9's, perfromed a hard reset and started from scratch. The wired backhaul network (or anything connect to a M9 via ethernet cable) is limited to 100Mbps. Both devices show the same behaviour. This is true in backhaul daisy chain and star configuration. 

In fact the backhaul network appears to be limited at 100Mbps, given I can connect many devices, perform a speed test from them all simultaneously and the total bandwidth to all devices will not exceed 100Mbps. 

Primary M9 connected directly to carrier router/modem. A speed test shows >700Mbps up/down from the deo app. Devices connected via wifi to this device see >300Mbps, devices connected via ethernet to this device see a maximum of 100Mbps

Secondary M9 connected direct (CAT6) backhaul. Any device on this deco cannot recevie speeds above 100Mbps. (wired/wireless)

I do not beleive this is a carrier issue, given the Deco performs as I would expect directyl connected to the carrieir router. (all devices directly connected see the same behaviour) All other devices on my LAN connect at 1Gbps, unless they route through the Deco, which limits them to 100Mbps.

This is an issue with the Deco's capping/throttling the wired ethernet ports at 100Mbps!!! 

Options
2019-09-10 12:59:23
Just a quick screen shot - My previous posts were removed. The posts you are now responding to was a re-post after the previous was removed. Log from TP Link forum: 12 hours ago Your Post Why are my posts being deleted? was removed to Deco by the administrator. 14 hours ago Your Post Deco M9 Plus - Appears to throttle bandwidth was removed to Deco by the administrator.
Options
2019-09-10 15:55:44

@Kevin_Z 

Just an fyi. I tried this exact same config with a net new deco m9 plus set. In both my home and in a different location with net new cables.  The exact same behaviour exists. 

It does not matter what speeds devices are connected at wifi/Ethernet anything through slave deco’s is throttled to 100Mbps. What I mean is all wired devices report they are connected at 1Gbps, wireless devices (MacBook) connects at 700Mbps. As soon as network traffic passes through the deco backhaul bandwidth is capped at 100Mbps. 

I would highly recommend testing this on this on your side. There is clearly an issue with hardware and/or firmware shipped to market. 

Options
2019-09-12 11:24:36

@TWPS 

Theoretically, our administrator won't delete the valid post; per I said before, there are 2 communities, one for global users and the other one for US users. They are isolated from each other. For now, there are 10 posts belonging to you, and 6 of them are in the EN community, and the rest are in the US one. 

I do find there is one thread deleted, have you received any information that indicates your post had been deleted? If so, we can do further analysis and figure it out.

Back to your case, my colleague has emailed you, considering the current complicated issue, we need do further analysis. 

You can keep in touch with him and try to fix it.

Best regards. 

Options
2019-09-14 09:20:16 - last edited 2019-09-14 09:21:14

@TWPS  Maybe dif forums: community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/39 & community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/39

Options
2019-12-23 17:43:25

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

I am also having the same issue.  Could someone please advise or reach out to my email with advice?  My current setup is as below.

Verizon Fios ONT ---> Deco M9 #1 --(Ethernet)--> Network Switch----(Ethernet)---> Deco M9 #3

---(WiFi)---> Deco M9 #2

Fios Speeds = 1 gig

Last Internet Test from Deco App showed 572.1 Download, 882.5 Upload

Various speed tests for the Deco #1 are around 325 up/down

Various speed tests for the Deco #2 are around 225 up/down

All speed test for the Deco #3(connected via ethernet) are around 95 up/down.

Please help. I love the coverage that the Deco product has provided but I paid to much money for the speeds to be throttled at 100 mbps.

Thank you.

Options
Re:Why are my posts being deleted? Q
2019-12-23 18:12:27

@eightball51 

I was given an update from TP Link prior to public release that solved my issue. My current firmware version is 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel. 54023

This FW shows how each M9 is connected to each other and devices connected to each M9. Great improvement!

Reset the total bandwidth value inside the QoS setting to 1024/1024. I've noticed that this value will set the maximum throughout to any single device, therefore maxing our the value works best for me. Also, be careful with QoS settings, I use customer or none to achieve best performance across all devices. I do feel there is still something in here that can throttle bandwidth....

Lastly, use an app like the app from Speedtest (Windows 10, iOS) to perform the test. The URL is not accurate and will always show lower bandwidth test results. I would also check ALL of your cables and make sure they are intact capable of Gb speeds, CAT 5e or 6. Have found that some cables provided with gear from the provider or other router manufacturers may say they are rated for 5e/6 but in fact are not. Those flat cables seem to be the worst in this case. I did replace every cable in my network as well. The cable from the carriers equipment to my switch was not capable of pushing more than 100Mbps and was rated as a CAT 6 cable. (Cable testing is tedious and involves me replacing every single cable one by one!)

Once you get the M9's up and running they are pretty solid units and provide great coverage. I'd like to see more features added and a solid review of the QoS code by TP Link, but I won't hold my breath! 

Good luck!

Options
2020-06-18 17:54:22 - last edited 2020-06-18 18:06:58

@TWPS 

I'm having the exact same issue since my broadband got upgraded to 1000/1000mbit. It works for a while if I switch around the cables, but after a bit the Deco reports to the modem that the portspeed is 100/100 not 1000/1000 and it degrades my network speed. I have followed the same steps as you have – how do I get the firmware version that alleviates this? 

More information:

I have one M9 that's connected through wire to the carriers modem. At the modem, I see true 1000/1000 speeds when connected with wire to computer.

The modem software reports port speed for the Deco as 1000/1000 for a few hours. After that, the Deco degrades to 100/100 mbit via ethernet and I drop from 300-400mbit per device I try to about 92/92mbit. 

If I unplug the M9 and plug it back in, it'll show 1000/1000 ethernet connection. This works for a bit until the Deco degrades to 100/100 mbit ethernet connection again.

I have turned off all QoS and tried switching cables and ports, but the M9 is the only device that does this – switches from gigabit ethernet to 100mbit on its own.

Options
2020-06-18 19:35:30 - last edited 2020-06-18 19:36:20

@MartinSWE same issue, it seems the newst updated introduced some bug with ethernet negotiation, some timres it just drop to 100 mpbs. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 6252

Replies: 26

Related Articles