2.4Ghz network stops working, but the 5Ghz network works

2.4Ghz network stops working, but the 5Ghz network works

86 Reply
Re:2.4Ghz network stops working, but the 5Ghz network works
2023-01-18 10:20:20 - last edited 2023-01-18 10:20:53

Same here, Archer AX1500. It happens irregularly but if there is an issue it is 2.4 GHz network disappearing completely (i.e. no devices can detect this network anymore while the router itself shows it as operational) with 5 GHz working fine. It is not enough to disable/enable 2.4 GHz network. I need to reboot the router. I have once set Reboot Schedule, but that seemed to cause other issues on its own so gave up.

I run a fairly simple setup, with no Smart Connect, no range extenders (tried RE505X for OneMesh but this was a complete waste of time; money has luckily been returned), no WiFi schedule, etc.

I really miss times where TP-Link routers were rock-solid and could run months with no issues and no need for a reboot...

Options
2023-01-28 11:02:41

_dan_ wrote

Same here, Archer AX1500. It happens irregularly but if there is an issue it is 2.4 GHz network disappearing completely (i.e. no devices can detect this network anymore while the router itself shows it as operational) with 5 GHz working fine. It is not enough to disable/enable 2.4 GHz network. I need to reboot the router. I have once set Reboot Schedule, but that seemed to cause other issues on its own so gave up.

I run a fairly simple setup, with no Smart Connect, no range extenders (tried RE505X for OneMesh but this was a complete waste of time; money has luckily been returned), no WiFi schedule, etc.

I really miss times where TP-Link routers were rock-solid and could run months with no issues and no need for a reboot...

@_dan_ What is the current firmware of the AX1500? Please check and update the firmware to the latest version, then observe the 2.4G connectivity.

Have you tried to modify the 2.4G channel and channel width settings when the signal disappears? You could try less-crowded channels, and choose 20MHz for the channel width.

When did you purchase the router, and when did the issue start to happen? Try resetting it to the factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch to see if it will make a difference.

Options
2023-01-29 10:16:30

Hi  @Kevin_Z, I am running the latest firmware. I have not tried changing the channel width settings, I have left it as a default value. For the channel itself - I have already chosen the channel that is not in use by any of the neighbour devices. Also, the 2.4G signal disappears (or - to be more specific - cannot be detected by any device like laptop or mobile) even if I am in close proximity to the device. Once the router is rebooted - everything gets back to normal, without changing any settings. I can reset the router to default settings and reconfigure it again and will observe it for a while. Please note that this issue is occurring quite irregularly so cannot tell how log it would take to reappear (or not).

Dan

Options
2023-01-30 03:14:00

@_dan_ 

Hi Dan, thank you very much for the details.

Please try resetting it to factory defaults, then monitor the 2.4G connectivity again.

Can I know when did you purchase the router, and when did the issue start to happen? Was there any change before the issue starts to happen, like router firmware upgrade?

Options
2023-01-30 07:10:00

Hi  @Kevin_Z, I have purchased it a year ago. It is hard to tell whether it started after some upgrades or not, cannot remember. It has only happened a couple of times over that period but definitely it was always the same story: all 2.4 GHz connected devices suddenly lost their connectivity and 5 GHz devices were connected fine. And 2.4 GHz network could not be detected anymore.

For the factory reset: would it be fine to restore saved configuration afterwards or I should perform the whole setup manually in this case?

Dan

Options
2023-01-31 08:00:24

_dan_ wrote

Hi  @Kevin_Z, I have purchased it a year ago. It is hard to tell whether it started after some upgrades or not, cannot remember. It has only happened a couple of times over that period but definitely it was always the same story: all 2.4 GHz connected devices suddenly lost their connectivity and 5 GHz devices were connected fine. And 2.4 GHz network could not be detected anymore.

For the factory reset: would it be fine to restore saved configuration afterwards or I should perform the whole setup manually in this case?

Dan

@_dan_ Hi Dan, thanks so much for sharing all the detailed info.

Regarding the factory reset, I would suggest performing a whole setup manually to exclude any unknown settings saved previously.

Options
2023-06-28 20:33:18

Same issue here, using archer A6 and latest firmware.

Already 1 year old router bit waste of money

Too money connection drops.

5GHz works properly.

Its very sad to see this thread is started at 2019 and even after 4 years tplink scamming people and not fixing the issue

Version 1.0.15 Build 20220923 rel.62166

Options
2023-06-29 05:49:59

Hi @ishwarbhat 

As you mentioned that this is an old topic years ago some of the users were reporting wireless disconnecting issues, but I believe that should have been addressed already.

If you still experience an issue with the wireless connection, and you've already tried the troubleshooting suggestions, it's suggested to contact our local tech support to be advised further and see if the router needs to be replaced:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/

Options
2023-09-25 05:45:19

I have two Archer AX55s, both of which are experiencing the same issues. One runs as router, one in ethernet connected AP mode (because mesh firmware doesn't support ethernet backhaul)  Wasted HOURS trying to figure this out.  Given it matches identically to a 4 yr old issue, and I'm running the latest firmware (1.2.3 Build 20230603 rel.46473(5553)), I think it is time to send both routers back while I still can. 

Options
2023-09-27 03:30:22

@windsifter 

Are you saying the 2.4G connection is not stable on AX55 and 5G is stable?

2.4G network is generally crowded, and it's suggested to set it on a channel less crowded. You can do a scan with any Wi-Fi analyzer to see which channel is less crowded and select it manually. The same with channel width. Be sure to choose different channels on the main AX55 and the AP.

If this is still an issue with the 2.4G connectivity, please give us more details then we will try to figure it out.

Options
Related Articles