Deco P7 no powerline backhaul indication in app (firmware 1.3.1)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P7 no powerline backhaul indication in app (firmware 1.3.1)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
64 Reply
Re:Deco P7 no powerline backhaul indication in app (firmware 1.3.1)
2019-10-17 14:40:22

@Lancer But it could also be much higher - as the Powerline is AV600 - indicating that link speed could be up to 600Mbit/s. And with one of my old TP-Link powerline extenders it does indeed get link speeds > 300 Mbit/s on the same plugs as the P7's, giving me a fair indication that the Powerline backhaul should manage about the same speeds.

Spoiler - it is clearly not managing that much, as my tests indicate around 100Mbit/s on the same circuit with the P7's, and I suspect that is all WiFi as they are only 10 metres apart....

Options
2019-10-17 20:41:10

@Lancer 

My link/negotiated speed via Ethernet or WiFi is 800-1000 Mbps.

All the support team keep discussing how the 50 Mbps (based on a green LED) is for speed over Powerline or WiFi. My speed is below the 50 Mbps as explained above.

Can we discuss these issues about the  Powerline low speeds with the engineers?

Options
2019-10-17 20:46:46

@Lancer 

Link speed is between the device and Deco. 
The LED status per your team should be the PLC speed, not the link speed. PLC is less than 50 Mbps while the LED says it should be above. It's just not making sense.

Options
2019-10-17 20:53:34

How is everyones 2.4ghz network speeds? I get terrible speeds on my 2.4ghz network. I pay for 200mbps down & 10mbps up.

I've run speed test on multiple devices and I'm currently troubleshooting with TP-Link support. (isn't going very well)

I can get as low as 4mbps download five feet away from the main deco, with pretty much no other devices on the network or using bandwidth. 

If I connect back to the 5ghz band my speeds are instantly better and pretty much what I pay for from my isp. I don't expect my 2ghz band to be the same as 5ghz, but I expect ok speeds from it when I'm right in front of the main Deco.

Currently going back and forth sending speed tests and link speed screenshots to tplink support for all my devices, even though its not my devices. I had better speeds with a 3 year old Linksys router. 

Anyone else having speed issues? I'd love to hear. 

I agree with everyone in this thread powerline is useless. 

Options
2019-10-21 14:32:29 - last edited 2019-10-21 14:33:53

Just reporting, I'm also very dissappointed in the P7 powerline feature. After some quite extensive testing, it seems the P7 are not using the PLC backhaul. Also, going by what the LED's say, the PLC connection seems a lot less reliable compared to dedicated powerline adapters when testing on the same circuit.

I really hope TPlink fixes these issues and provides decent tools to troubleshoot the PLC feature in the very near future.

Options
Re:Deco P7 no powerline backhaul indication in app (firmware 1.3.1) UPDATE
2019-10-21 16:49:02

@Tor-Arne 

I have a bit of a update to this story - TP-Link support has just sent me a new (Debug) version of their software, and wants to talk to me about it. 

I just installed the new software today on all my P&'s (6 of them) and discovered that the new software enables HTTP port 80 - with a new admin interface.

and a map with my network! It also gives me access to the log on each Deco.

I am (at least so far) unable to see any signs of the Powerline funtionality though. But at least some progress - I will report back after I have had my call with their support team.

Options
Re:Deco P7 no powerline backhaul indication in app (firmware 1.3.1) UPDATE
2019-10-21 17:10:42

@Tor-Arne 

That smells like some traction and progress. Keep us posted!

Options
2019-10-22 08:55:53

Did anyone compare a TPlink P7 setup to a Devolo Magic 2 Wifi setup? It seems these should be quite comparable.

Options
2019-10-22 11:29:58

@bds_ 

Seems similar. Is this available globally?

I'll see where this recent turn of events with our friends getting the debugging assistance and possibly engineer updates goes, but possibly could return the P7 and get a Devolo.

Options
2019-10-24 08:58:49

@MeTPForum A quick update - one of the TP-Link engineers has been debugging my P7's on my network for the last 1.5 hours - using telnet into the deco's - and running tests. I find the debug logs interesting; Let's see what they come back with - I know a lot more about the TP-7's now.

Btw. he's still working and connected to my Decos at the time of writing this.

Options
Related Articles